BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Olympics 2012

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder how much the unprecedented TV and online coverage of the games cost the BBC? Even now, you can go back and view any event they covered via the website. http://www.bbc.co.uk...le-results/list

I dunno how much it has cost them, but on socceram the other day they said that for 10 seconds of Greg Rutherford winning his gold medal, it would've cost them £1500!

Enjoying the coverage on c4 for the paras too, even if there's not quite as much as on the bbc.

Just seen Oscar Pistorious get the WR in 200m heats, he's just ace!

I dunno how much it has cost them, but on socceram the other day they said that for 10 seconds of Greg Rutherford winning his gold medal, it would've cost them £1500!

Enjoying the coverage on c4 for the paras too, even if there's not quite as much as on the bbc.

Just seen Oscar Pistorious get the WR in 200m heats, he's just ace!

I was 5 rows from the start of the T44 heats 200m last night, and I'm on the opposite side of the stadium tonight - 10 rows back from the 160m point of the race, so 2 pretty good seats. :)

I was 5 rows from the start of the T44 heats 200m last night, and I'm on the opposite side of the stadium tonight - 10 rows back from the 160m point of the race, so 2 pretty good seats. :)

My row numbers are row 60 for the swimming, and row 68 for athletics. Gonna take binoculars :D

btw do you know my tickets for things that say 'general admission 9-2045' can I just walk into the venues it says on my ticket, or will I need to get another ticket of some kind when I get there?

If its a general admission ticket with specific sport session listed (and you probably paid an extra few quid) you are guaranteed admission in unreserved seating, so get there early for best seats.

If its just general admission to the park, you can go to any event bar the top ones (eg athletics, swimming, cycling) subject to space. But its first come.

Stunned with Pistorious not winning! But Graeme Ballard from Chorley was spectacular silver, especially as I found out as I took my seat my mum knew him from a baby.

Always been confused about the reality of a level playing field.

Watched the swimming the other day where a girl had half an arm, and one of the other swimmers suffered from mild palsy but with all her bits in place.

One example I suppose and I know there is a grading system, just seems to me some are more challenged and have to work harder than others.

Stunned with Pistorious not winning!

Not as stunned as he was judging by his sad reaction. If he'd have run as fast last night as he did the other night, he'd have won. Lack of respect for his competitors meant he never held some back for the final and in my opinion suffered at the end with a bit of fatigue...fair play to Alan.

Always been confused about the reality of a level playing field.

Watched the swimming the other day where a girl had half an arm, and one of the other swimmers suffered from mild palsy but with all her bits in place.

One example I suppose and I know there is a grading system, just seems to me some are more challenged and have to work harder than others.

Maybe the Paraolympics affords us the truest definition of the old saying Nick... 'it's not about the winning it's about the taking part'.

Been in Germany for a couple of days, been weird watching coverage from another country. Although the TeamGB 'branding' if you can call it that has spread because everytime weve been on that is how theyve referred to us, rather than grossbrittanien.

If its just general admission to the park, you can go to any event bar the top ones (eg athletics, swimming, cycling) subject to space. But its first come.

We tried to get into Gb vs Usa at wheelchair rugby. Unfortunately so did everyone else! We was talking to a fella who was 'crowd counting' with a counter just outside the basketball arena, and he'd counted 51,000 people going past and trying to get in!

Olympic park felt a lot busier during the paraas, but i think it was cos in the olympic park everyone had somewhere to be whereas at the paras most people just went in to have a look around.

The goalball was interesting but quite hard to watch - its so hard to watch sport without making any sound!

We tried to get into Gb vs Usa at wheelchair rugby. Unfortunately so did everyone else! We was talking to a fella who was 'crowd counting' with a counter just outside the basketball arena, and he'd counted 51,000 people going past and trying to get in!

Olympic park felt a lot busier during the paraas, but i think it was cos in the olympic park everyone had somewhere to be whereas at the paras most people just went in to have a look around.

The goalball was interesting but quite hard to watch - its so hard to watch sport without making any sound!

I may be missing something, but have you spent the last six weeks in London? If so then well done!

I may be missing something, but have you spent the last six weeks in London? If so then well done!

Hehe no not quite!! I have been down there 3 times over the olympics/paras, but 6 weeks straight would've sent me over the edge I think!

• 1 year later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24927885

Here is a story I found of interest, the athlete practised on a rowing machine while serving in Afghanistan. She is trying out for the GB rowing team.

I like to use a concept 2 rower just like this ever so often though you have to be a little bit careful with rowing posture or you could get a back pain and for me, a rather minor back pain. One needs to keep your head and back in a straight-upward position. Otherwise, rowing machines are almost relaxing.

• 2 months later...

I think it's a little bit more than a try-out Audax - she won a gold medal last year!

Actually in this case and probably the norm with Olympic Athletes, I think one does have to make the team again.

I don't think Michael Phelps even was automatically handed a position, I know I've heard talk that if he is going to compete for the next Olympics at least, he is going to have to go through the trials. I don't know about last time in London.

-------------------

Asafa Powell, in trial over a drug test. It doesn't speak well for the Sport.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/25756065

Archived