Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean resigns!

booth

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here's one of Agnew throwing an hissy fit when he heard the news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8vdnVTBceo

Speaking of which , has he surfaced yet? Last reported sighting was bigging up his mate prior to the great man's last press conference. Hope he isn't that upset that he doesn't want to talk at supporters anymore.

Very quiet for a director of operations at the club seems to be letting his shelving mate do the talking.

On a different note we had warning a poisonous snake loose in the suburb today, just checked and Perth Glory's PR person is still in place phew

The guy has gone so no need to get too vitriolic.

The rumours coming from Fulham which are being alluded to are basically what most folks down there believed to be the case.

Would be very interesting what a lubricated Kean might say now- having walked there can be no NDA in place unless his contract was cleverly worded. Still would be tricky for Venky's to enforce it.

Hilarious, shocking, irritating, enraging, ridiculous are all adjectives that may be used for something Kean says but interesting? Never!

"The atmosphere in the canteen is good" - God helps us!

Perhaps he was thinking ahead to the "canteen" the players were having dinner in when he announced his "resignation" , bet it was a party apart from a couple of players crying in the corner

• Backroom

Think he was quite popular amongst the players, so most of them probably were disappointed.

Someone used the example of a substitute teacher being popular because he lets the students do what they want, and that's a pretty good analogy to explain Kean's dressing room popularity. Any player who actually cared about success and had ambition has been forced out.

I don't know if anybody heard the interview that Graham Liver did with Henry Winter this morning on Radio Lancs. Here is the link to it http://www.bbc.co.uk...ver_01_10_2012/ at approx 2hours7mins in. I listened back to it this evening and transcribed it (not word-perfectly, but the general gist) because I'm a bit of a Henry Winter fan and thought he made some valid points and I wanted a record of them. Thought I'd share them on here so others can see too.

Graham Liver – It’s fair to say that a lot of Blackburn Rovers fans are not very happy with the way that they’re being portrayed in the national media, and seeing SK as a victim and seeing the Rovers fans as bully boys in all this.

Henry Winter – Well SK definitely wasn’t the victim. You know, he was part of the problem. He was a symptom of the Venky’s incompetence. I’ve been covering Blackburn Rovers for twenty odd years off and on and if there’s one thing I do know about the club is that the supporters, the fanbase, is pretty loyal. They’re not a militant bunch. So you know that night at home against Bolton Wanderers when they really turned upon Kean I could understand it. I mean, you know, occasionally it strayed into excess but you have to understand the mentality of these fans is that they want to protect their club, and if they feel that SK the manager is not good enough, and clearly he wasn’t. The results showed that. He took them down. He didn’t have the experience in the first place and I have to say I have complete sympathy for the fans. You know, it’s their club long-term. They’ve seen good people go like John Williams, like Tom Finn, good players go. They’ve just seen this circus engulf a club which down the years has been pretty well run. It feels like it was only yesterday that Jack Walker was cradling the Premier League trophy like a first born with tears rolling down his eyes, and that’s the type of people you want running the club, not people like the Venky’s. And Kean was just a symptom of the Venky’s.

Graham Liver - But there are those who would say that where Rovers are in the Championship, maybe now would be a wrong time to actually get rid of SK. Now obviously SK made the decision to go himself but people are saying ”Why now?”

Henry Winter – Well it’s the best decision he made, to leave. He should have done it twelve months ago and they might not have gone down. I mean you can rewind it further back. I was surprised that Sam Allardyce was sacked. If you want anyone who is going to get a team out of a difficult situation it’s Sam Allardyce, he’s a fighter, he’s an experienced manager. He would get the players onside, which you can question that about SK so this is a new chance and I’ve been following your coverage, I’ve been following the Lancashire Evening Telegraph’s coverage and Andy Cryer made a very good point at the weekend. They have to get this right. And it was interesting what someone was saying earlier about they want to make the decision quickly. No. Blackburn Rovers have to make the decision correctly. They mustn’t rush into this. They must appoint an experienced manager who can re-engage the club with the supporters.

Graham Liver – Was the problem that SK seemed to be the only person talking from the club. Because Venky’s don’t seem to want to talk to anyone. There’s a new communications officer at Rovers who doesn’t want to communicate with anybody. SK was the public figure of Blackburn Rovers, wasn’t he?

Henry Winter – Well Agnew was on the communications side wasn’t he, and he’s sort of stepped up and is doing well with the administration of the club and I would have thought he would have a more active public role. But you cannot run a major English footballing institution from whatever it is, from 2000 miles away. So again it comes down to good people. John Williams is one of the most respected administrators in the game, so is Tom Finn. If you lose people like that you lose structure and you lose organisational strength. And you lose that ability to communicate with the fans.

• Backroom

I don't know if anybody heard the interview that Graham Liver did with Henry Winter this morning on Radio Lancs. Here is the link to it http://www.bbc.co.uk...ver_01_10_2012/ at approx 2hours7mins in. I listened back to it this evening and transcribed it (not word-perfectly, but the general gist) because I'm a bit of a Henry Winter fan and thought he made some valid points and I wanted a record of them. Thought I'd share them on here so others can see too.

Graham Liver – It’s fair to say that a lot of Blackburn Rovers fans are not very happy with the way that they’re being portrayed in the national media, and seeing SK as a victim and seeing the Rovers fans as bully boys in all this.

Henry Winter – Well SK definitely wasn’t the victim. You know, he was part of the problem. He was a symptom of the Venky’s incompetence. I’ve been covering Blackburn Rovers for twenty odd years off and on and if there’s one thing I do know about the club is that the supporters, the fanbase, is pretty loyal. They’re not a militant bunch. So you know that night at home against Bolton Wanderers when they really turned upon Kean I could understand it. I mean, you know, occasionally it strayed into excess but you have to understand the mentality of these fans is that they want to protect their club, and if they feel that SK the manager is not good enough, and clearly he wasn’t. The results showed that. He took them down. He didn’t have the experience in the first place and I have to say I have complete sympathy for the fans. You know, it’s their club long-term. They’ve seen good people go like John Williams, like Tom Finn, good players go. They’ve just seen this circus engulf a club which down the years has been pretty well run. It feels like it was only yesterday that Jack Walker was cradling the Premier League trophy like a first born with tears rolling down his eyes, and that’s the type of people you want running the club, not people like the Venky’s. And Kean was just a symptom of the Venky’s.

Graham Liver - But there are those who would say that where Rovers are in the Championship, maybe now would be a wrong time to actually get rid of SK. Now obviously SK made the decision to go himself but people are saying ”Why now?”

Henry Winter – Well it’s the best decision he made, to leave. He should have done it twelve months ago and they might not have gone down. I mean you can rewind it further back. I was surprised that Sam Allardyce was sacked. If you want anyone who is going to get a team out of a difficult situation it’s Sam Allardyce, he’s a fighter, he’s an experienced manager. He would get the players onside, which you can question that about SK so this is a new chance and I’ve been following your coverage, I’ve been following the Lancashire Evening Telegraph’s coverage and Andy Cryer made a very good point at the weekend. They have to get this right. And it was interesting what someone was saying earlier about they want to make the decision quickly. No. Blackburn Rovers have to make the decision correctly. They mustn’t rush into this. They must appoint an experienced manager who can re-engage the club with the supporters.

Graham Liver – Was the problem that SK seemed to be the only person talking from the club. Because Venky’s don’t seem to want to talk to anyone. There’s a new communications officer at Rovers who doesn’t want to communicate with anybody. SK was the public figure of Blackburn Rovers, wasn’t he?

Henry Winter – Well Agnew was on the communications side wasn’t he, and he’s sort of stepped up and is doing well with the administration of the club and I would have thought he would have a more active public role. But you cannot run a major English footballing institution from whatever it is, from 2000 miles away. So again it comes down to good people. John Williams is one of the most respected administrators in the game, so is Tom Finn. If you lose people like that you lose structure and you lose organisational strength. And you lose that ability to communicate with the fans.

Thanks for the transcription. Winter one of the few journos who actually talks sense about us. Wish they'd get him on Soccer Saturday to sort out Merson and Nicholas, the snivelling little SEM stooges.

Henry Winter Well Agnew was on the communications side wasn’t he, and he’s sort of stepped up and is doing well with the administration of the club and I would have thought he would have a more active public role.

I will assume it was early in the morning and poor Henry was still a bit groggy.

Doing well? No shirt sponsor, minimal ground advertising, no stand sponsors, 40% decrease in fans, a large proportion think your a div.

Yes he is doing amazingly well Henry

Graham Liver is a very clever and nice chap and is also a Rovers supporter (I used to work with him some time back) . Great tactical questioning from him again (I listened to the Shebby interview last week RE Kean), he clearly has an agenda in terms of getting the truth out there and no matter how small an impact he is making, he clearly has the fans backs.

Superb interview with Henry Winter.

Seems there was a noisy disagreement with Shebby on Friday afternoon at Brockhall. Robinson got involved making peace but Kean wanted war which meant that several players including MGP, Dunn and Murphy backed Robbo against Kean. The row continued on the team bus and Kean decided to get off at the services and was left.

Thankfully for all of us he was furious enough to call his resignation through to Sky Sports. He had to call his driver to come and get him and went to his lawyers to frame his statement.

This seems to be the version that is out and about.

This is not inconsistent with them getting the train at Stockport- they were all at Brockhall and had to be taken to Stockport and the motorway services was near enough for Kean's driver to be able to get to him. It would also be consistent with the players eventually hearing of the resignation over dinner; Kean wasn't there to tell them personally.

Superb interview with Henry Winter.

Seems there was a noisy disagreement with Shebby on Friday afternoon at Brockhall. Robinson got involved making peace but Kean wanted war which meant that several players including MGP, Dunn and Murphy backed Robbo against Kean. The row continued on the team bus and Kean decided to get off at the services and was left.

Thankfully for all of us he was furious enough to call his resignation through to Sky Sports. He had to call his driver to come and get him and went to his lawyers to frame his statement.

This seems to be the version that is out and about.

This is not inconsistent with them getting the train at Stockport- they were all at Brockhall and had to be taken to Stockport and the motorway services was near enough for Kean's driver to be able to get to him. It would also be consistent with the players eventually hearing of the resignation over dinner; Kean wasn't there to tell them personally.

Cheers for clearing that up.

Had Murphy and Kean fallen out during the week? I noticed Murphy was down as having a non-injury and did a Lazarous come Saturday.

That story makes some kind of sense. I get a strong impression Robbo didn't much like Kean.

The one thing I can't understand is why he walked. Was the game that up that he knew he was going to get canned anyway or was he hoping Mrs Desai would beg him to stay thus solidifying his position even more and fatally weakening Shebby? The only other thing that makes sense would be some clear evidence of wrongdoing which would make his position untenable. I can't see just an argument being the reason but being part of it, the straw that breaks the camels back.

Archived