BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers Ladies FC

Sunday - 14th October 2012 - Blackburn Rovers v Manchester City - FAWPL - League Cup Group Stages

With Rovers having no game scheduled for this weekend, why not take yourselves (and family) down to Stainton Park, Radcliffe for Rovers Ladies fixture against Manchester City.

A highly contested local derby Rovers will be looking to follow up the 5-0 away win over Preston, by beating last season's Northern League champions.

City will bring a few fans with them, so lets get out and support the Blackburn Rovers Ladies team.

Rovers record scorer, Katie Anderton will be looking for a couple more goals to take her above the 192 mark.

England U19 squad member, Beth Donaghue will also, be looking to add to her goals tally.

If any of you have have daughters who are interested in playing football or were inspired by Team GB in the Olympics, then bring them down to Radcliffe on Sunday.

The Rovers Ladies team is their team...it's your team

BLACKBURN ROVERS LADIES DAY

BLACKBURN ROVERS v MANCHESTER CITY - FAWPL LEAGUE CUP

SUNDAY 14th OCTOBER 2012 -

RADCLIFFE BOROUGH FC,

STAINTON PARK, -

2.00pm KO.

Blackburn Rovers (1) v Manchester City (1) - FAWPL League Cup - Group 4

Rovers through to the 2nd round of the League Cup following a keenly contested match v last season's Northern League champions Manchester City.

Lagan Makin put Rovers 1-0 at the break and City's Danni Young equalised in the 2nd half.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pdf porfolio containing details about proposed changes to the women's game. An official FA "magazine style" document.

By the way, M.G. did it ever get confirmed that the club were going to stump up and invest in the women's team? Last I heard, the ladies were still having to find their own sponsorship so they could pay to privilege of representing BRFC...

Thanks for the info.

I was told that the ladies sponsorship issue had been submitted to Ewood, and approved by the family. I don't know the exact details of what's now being paid, but it should be a sizable chunk of their yearly bill.

Most of what I did was through back-channels. The people who were/are dealing with this officially are probably still on this forum and they should know more.

The club agreed to fund the ladies team to the tune of around £35k , It was an issue the Action Group brought up in our first meeting with Shebby after a request from the ladies team end. He got straight on with it and got it passed off. So their cost for this season are pretty much covered in terms of what was asked for

No players get NO wages or expenses this season. 2 players travel from North Wales 2 / 3 times a week at a cost of £3,000 a season.

The £35,000 covers the cost of pitch hire, travel and other expenses. The club have plans to submit a bid to join Women's Super League 2 - a semi-professional league.

Games will be played at Leigh Sports Village. Players are likely to be paid semi-pro (non-league) wages. Better players will need to be signed' if the club was to compete for promotion to WSL 1. Applications are to be submitted from November, with a decision on which 10 clubs are to get licences being made sometime next year.

The profile of the team will increase, with more media coverage.- including TV coverage. The club are in a very good position to get a licence. The team has 2 x Northern Ireland internationals, 2 x Wales U19 internationals and 3 England U19 internationals.

The prospects for the women's team will be very good, going forward if a WSL 2 licence was to be obtained.

No players get NO wages or expenses this season. 2 players travel from North Wales 2 / 3 times a week at a cost of £3,000 a season.

The £35,000 covers the cost of pitch hire, travel and other expenses. The club have plans to submit a bid to join Women's Super League 2 - a semi-professional league.

Games will be played at Leigh Sports Village. Players are likely to be paid semi-pro (non-league) wages. Better players will need to be signed' if the club was to compete for promotion to WSL 1. Applications are to be submitted from November, with a decision on which 10 clubs are to get licences being made sometime next year.

The profile of the team will increase, with more media coverage.- including TV coverage. The club are in a very good position to get a licence. The team has 2 x Northern Ireland internationals, 2 x Wales U19 internationals and 3 England U19 internationals.

The prospects for the women's team will be very good, going forward if a WSL 2 licence was to be obtained.

TBF though its a start, and its 35k more than they had. I'm sure other funding can be forthcoming but the stuff which was requested of us to ask for in the letter which was sent to us , including a new ground at this stage is far too much. We asked for funding for the team and it was agreed pretty much on the spot. If the ladies team profile continues to grow i'm sure the club will look at more funding

BRFC will at some point in the future need to look at a small second ground for Reserve / Academy / Women's games in the Blackburn / Brockhall area.

This would be at a cost of around £2-4m and be part of the youth development programme. Playing games in Leigh, doesn't make sense long term.

Buying and redeveloping DARWEN FC would be the easiest way of providing a facility for the U21 / Res / Women's team's. Fans could watch u18 games on a Sat morning in Darwen and then go to the game. It's a easy win that provides long term benefits and given how much money we've wasted on transfers in the last 10 years, it'll be value for money.

TBF though its a start, and its 35k more than they had. I'm sure other funding can be forthcoming but the stuff which was requested of us to ask for in the letter which was sent to us , including a new ground at this stage is far too much. We asked for funding for the team and it was agreed pretty much on the spot. If the ladies team profile continues to grow i'm sure the club will look at more funding

It's not clear from the posts above, are some of the players still funding their own travel expenses? If so, surely this could be covered too?

All the players are self-funding travel to training and home games. They are all amateurs. The club only asked for £35,000 this season and they are trying to get away with spending as little of it as possible.

Danni Oates & Gemma Jackson both live in North Wales and it cost's them £3000 each to play for the club. The club will only start paying expenses or wages if the bid to get into WSL 2 is successful. For North West based players it cost's around a £1,000 a season. Not a problem for the teachers etc, but the majority of the players are students. Basically it comes down to parents funding the travel costs.

On the back of WSL (1) starting up 2 years ago, Rovers lost an entire 1st team of players and as a result were relegated the following season (by 1 goal).

This caused the club to lose some funding from the FA, that went towards the cost of travel to games down south. The £35,000 a season covers 1st team and reserves - ground hire, training ground hire (Across) and other fee's that occur. Players are also responsible for paying all football fines.

One bonus for the players is that they all go to the club's Christmas party. So, plenty of pictures of a very drunk Paul Robinson with the team.

David Bentley did once suggest that the 1st team players all put up cash to help the Ladies team. This happens at Arsenal where every 1st team player, puts in £5,000 a season. It never got of the ground at Rovers.

A successful Ladies team at Rovers is a very easy and relatively cheap win for Venky's. £500,000 a season could put the club amongest the top teams in the country, challenging for a place in UEFA Champions League. That would give Venky's some positive publicity. It wasn't long ago that the England Women's team was playing infront of 25,000 fans at Ewood.

All the players are self-funding travel to training and home games. They are all amateurs.

Danni Oates & Gemma Jackson both live in North Wales and it cost's them £3000 each to play for the club. The club will only start paying expenses or wages if the bid to get into WSL 2 is successful. For North West based players it cost's around a £1,000 a season. Not a problem for the teachers etc, but the majority of the players are students. Basically it comes down to parents funding the travel costs.

My son represents lancashire and plays for a fairly local academy , not to mention his district south ribble...nobody helps me with my petrol etc. you just do it don't you? Until somebody is willing to pay money to watch him then it's a hobby....same with amateur girls too.

I have no issues with getting sponsors but £500k??

My son represents lancashire and plays for a fairly local academy , not to mention his district south ribble...nobody helps me with my petrol etc. you just do it don't you? Until somebody is willing to pay money to watch him then it's a hobby....same with amateur girls too.

I have no issues with getting sponsors but £500k??

It's not quite the same though. Blackburn Rovers is a professional football club - even if the ladies that represent us aren't.

I'm not sure if I have a great deal of sympathy for the Welsh ladies paying £3000 per year in travel to games - it's very different financially but I don't expect anyone pays the men's travel costs (aside from their obscene wages) so it's the same principle. If they choose to come from far and wide, the have to be expected to find their own way to home games and training, or to a meeting point for a coach, for away games. In any case, we should be looking to develop local players first.

That said, my problem with this is how it's not being taken seriously. A letter from BRAG releases enough cash for a week's worth of Danny Murphy? And through fear of it being the last money they see - I assume - they are penny pinching over using it?

The women's game in this country is set for lift off following the Olympics and it could end up being a good earner for the club - with a hell of a lot less investment.

Once again we are going to miss the boat.

The club are saving money this season, so they can put as much money as possible into the WSL 2 bid. It's something Liverpool LFC have done for a long time. They had a budget of £100,000 a season, but never really spent any of it. As a result they got into WSL and a few weeks ago LFC more than doubled the budget of the Women's team and moved all home games to Widnes RL stadium next season.

£500,000 a season is'nt a lot of money in football. In France, the female players at Olympic Lyon are full-time pro and earn £125,000 a season.

In the USA all International players are on Central Contracts and earn a $1m a year. Rovers would probably pay £100 a game for the majority of players.

• 1 year later...

Academy coach Nathan Rooney returned to the Rovers Ladies dugout Sunday and has already made a big difference to the club.

Despite losing to Champions, Sheffield Ladies,.the cloud that has hung over the club this season has been lifted.

The club lost 16 players during the summer and has a 1st team made up of graduates from last season's U17 team. The club will be looking to bring in some more experienced players to help the talented youngsters along.

A new management structure is to be announced shortly.

Maybe with the right make up, we can put Etuhu and a couple of the Portugeezers in the squad. We'd get some use out of them at least.

Jordan Slew would make their bench at the very best! Doubt Edhino would get in unless Shebby was picking it

Archived