BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Watford Preview

I got Radio Rovers for last 25 min. We were positive the whole time. Olsson had come in and made a difference. He has pace. CKR had bad game. But not a bad player. Had pace. Did better after pen mix. Don't write him off. Etuhu and Lowe two good defensive mid fielders. Lowe is quick and works his socks off. Too many games over too few days- also with England under 21s - did for his hamstring. He's a reason for clean sheets. Dann and Hanley played well. Both good CBs at this level. Rhodes simply a gem. Black is catching on. We're playing much more on the floor. Rochina is good. Gomes also when he came on. The right new manager will bring fans back. OGS or Sherwood would do this. Poss Shearer or Holloway. Absolutely not McCarthy or Hill or Robinson. Black not a bad manager.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not true to say there was a "wall of boos from the BBE". I was sat right in the middle of the lower tier and, while there were some idiots jeering, most of us made a concerted effort to drown them out with loud applause when Murphy came on.

I guess the players hear much the same as we do in the JW, the booing of CKR and Murphy drowned out any applause. I was amazed CKR was booed though he did make himself look a complete idiot over the penalty. I don't want to see Murphy on the pitch but booing him is wrong. Nothing wrong with a few barbed comments but booing? No.

Horrible game to watch lacking passion, desire and quality. This is supposed to be a PL squad and should be dominating the opposition. Instead we get pedestrian, lifeless performances. The crowd was as quiet as I can remember, really, really poor. 10,000 would be the maximum, someone is telling porkies with 13,200.

Two major concerns for me. At best we have three potential PL players so promotion would bring a whole new set of problems. Secondly I don't believe a new manager will bring the crowds flocking back. I feel many have gone now......for good.

Decided not to bother with Burnley away. It's too much hassle. I don't need to spend hours before and after the match stuck in the ground or on a coach.

Thank you Jordan Rhodes - 3 points out of nothing.

Were we watching the same game?

Lowe doesn't run? He can be accused of not doing some things but running is definitely not one of them. Baffled

Indeed, Lowe did OK today. He has to be disciplined in his positioning. Playing alongside CKR and Rochina (neither of whom have a tackle in them and both of whom shirk any defensive duties) and Orr who does go forward but can't get back in a hurrry can't be easy and doesn't allow him the luxury of charging off upfield and effectively leaving his post.

btw Speaking of running ability....... Funniest moment today was in the last 20 mins seeing Orr try to take the full back on for speed! :rolleyes:

Horrible game to watch lacking passion, desire and quality. This is supposed to be a PL squad and should be dominating the opposition. Instead we get pedestrian, lifeless performances. The crowd was as quiet as I can remember, really, really poor. 10,000 would be the maximum, someone is telling porkies with 13,200.

Two major concerns for me. At best we have three potential PL players so promotion would bring a whole new set of problems. Secondly I don't believe a new manager will bring the crowds flocking back. I feel many have gone now......for good.

I hadn't been this season until Sheff Wed and Watford today and the most worrying thing about the last two matches is the lack of activity that the opposition keeper has to do. Other than the two goals I don't think I've seen Kirkland or Almunia make more than 2 routine saves in each match! I'm not a fan of 4-4-2 in particular but we've signed an 8m striker who looks sharp in the box (todays goal had the stamp of a natural striker ) but who is cut adrift up front and imo does not have the physique or the mentallity to be a back to goal player. Rhodes needs to feed off chances created by knock downs from a proper target man and asking him to be the target man will imo expose him to greater injury risk.. If that is the case then we need to switch to a more traditional 4-4-2 and luxury players like Rochina and CKR cannot be accomodated as most teams will play a 5 man midfield against us. We will need midfielders who can tackle and graft as well as provide traditional service from the wings to a big man up front which makes Pederson a must on the left but who we can play up front and on the right I don't know.

Rhodes needs to feed off chances created by knock downs from a proper target man and asking him to be the target man will imo expose him to greater injury risk.. If that is the case then we need to switch to a more traditional 4-4-2 and luxury players like Rochina and CKR cannot be accomodated as most teams will play a 5 man midfield against us. We will need midfielders who can tackle and graft as well as provide traditional service from the wings to a big man up front which makes Pederson a must on the left but who we can play up front and on the right I don't know.

Preferably Vukcevic and Cameron Jerome.

Dont think we'll be seeing Vukcevic much if the rumoured appearance money that hes on per game is correct, just dont know why Rovers ever got this lad.

I can guess. :glare: A %age slice of that appearence money would no doubt stack up quite nicely for some err middle men.

I can guess. :glare: A %age slice of that appearence money would no doubt stack up quite nicely for some err middle men.

In your previous post you quite rightly highlighted the lack of chances created. This is spot on, we tend to take our chances very well but they are few and far between. Other than the goal the Watford keeper made one save. The service to Rhodes means he is scoring inspite of not because of the team's efforts.

On the financial aspect hinted at in the quote. Preston blue and I discussed this during the game. The mystery has to be how is the club surviving? If we believe the attendance of 13200 and guess at what, £20 a head to be generous, as the ticket price this provides matchday income for the season of £6 million. In the last published accounts the wage bill was in the mid £40 millions I think.

I can't see where the money is coming from and wouldn't mind betting the auditors required a "going concern" assurance.

I thought we looked a lot more dangerous when Gomes came on. He was dropping deep to collect the ball from midfield and passing forward. Why Black has dropped him to the bench baffles me, as he has proven all season to be the best striking partner alongside Rhodes.

I'd like to see Orr push up a little more and make more overlapping runs. At times he wasn't providing an option out wide for CKR, so we were forced back and that slowed the pace down. Olsson definitely made a difference and added some much needed pace to the side.

Someone above has mentioned the lack of activity for the opposition goalkeeper, however they fail to mention the lack of activity for Robinson. I don't think he had a single save to make yesterday and possibly one or two VS Sheffield Wednesday.

All in all, it was a decent performance and the result that keeps us 2 points adrift of promotion.

On the financial aspect hinted at in the quote. Preston blue and I discussed this during the game. The mystery has to be how is the club surviving? If we believe the attendance of 13200 and guess at what, £20 a head to be generous, as the ticket price this provides matchday income for the season of £6 million. In the last published accounts the wage bill was in the mid £40 millions I think.

I can't see where the money is coming from and wouldn't mind betting the auditors required a "going concern" assurance.

Makes such little sense that I've actually stopped thinking about it Paul. From now on it's Que Sera Sera.

There was a wall of boos from the BBE....disgraceful.

As for the game all I can say is what load of crap. This team is notngood enough for the Premiership, another absolute crap performance.

The gate was given as 13,200. Who makes these figures up? 200 from Watford and Rovers 1/3 full.....you are having a laugh, I reckon it was just over 10,000.

I never heard any boos where I was tbh . As for the crowd .. The scumkys think we are thick !

Dont think we'll be seeing Vukcevic much if the rumoured appearance money that hes on per game is correct, just dont know why Rovers ever got this lad.

If this IS true it shows black IS a puppet . Any one worth his salt won't let anyone but themselves pick the team. Imagine rednapp being told your the manager but the owd hag says who can and can't play!!!! It's a frigging joke.

Perhaps the answer to that was in a little brown bag somewhere.

Preferably Vukcevic and Cameron Jerome.

Leon Best?

I never heard any boos where I was tbh . As for the crowd .. The scumkys think we are thick !

If this IS true it shows black IS a puppet . Any one worth his salt won't let anyone but themselves pick the team. Imagine rednapp being told your the manager but the owd hag says who can and can't play!!!! It's a frigging joke.

Hypothetical question for a hypothetical situation abbey. If it's your club and the previous manager was suing you for dismissal would you play a player and pay him and his agent massive appearence money on top of his salary in the knowledge that the previous manager will benefit from financial kick backs?

Much room for improvement, but certainly not abysmal. Good three points, another clean sheet and progressing nicely in the league. Hopefully a new man in for the next game. For the doomsdayers I recommend enjoying your weekend. We've had two wins and two clean sheets this week. Have a night off the depression for once.

As for 'Jordan Rhodes, he scores when he wants', it'd be more accurate to say he scores when Kazim-Richards lets him.

Classy booing from some fans as per usual.

I'm hoping most of us who were there yesterday agree with Braddock's view, I certainly do. The numerous claims that the performance was 'crap', 'dreadful', 'abysmal' etc. are exaggerated and off the mark.

We must accept that until we appoint a new manager, and even when we appoint, we must be content with steady progress which will gradually move us to the fring of automatic promotion.

I thought Wednesday Wednesday was really disappointing and we deserved a draw or even a defeat, but the Watford performance was better, more controlled and more pleasing to watch.

Black's determination to focus the whole team on defence until we regularly achieve a clean sheet means we can't play Nuno Gomes alongside Rhodes, a combination seemingly guaranteed to produce goals.

I think a more confident, experienced manager will find a solution which allows both strikers to play whilst retaining our recent solid (ish) back line.

I agree many of our players look way off Premier League quality but if we continue to slowly improve and invest wisely in January, there is a chance we could eventually return to the level we became so used to.

We really need to manage our expectations and enjoy our incremental return to success and stability.

....yes, ok, I know this is optimistic in the current shambolic situation, but I'm allowing a little optimism to seep out after back to back victories....

I thought we looked a lot more dangerous when Gomes came on. He was dropping deep to collect the ball from midfield and passing forward. Why Black has dropped him to the bench baffles me, as he has proven all season to be the best striking partner alongside Rhodes.

I'd like to see Orr push up a little more and make more overlapping runs. At times he wasn't providing an option out wide for CKR, so we were forced back and that slowed the pace down. Olsson definitely made a difference and added some much needed pace to the side.

Someone above has mentioned the lack of activity for the opposition goalkeeper, however they fail to mention the lack of activity for Robinson. I don't think he had a single save to make yesterday and possibly one or two VS Sheffield Wednesday.

All in all, it was a decent performance and the result that keeps us 2 points adrift of promotion.

...again, a more considered, accurate reflection of the performance.

.....and on the subject of booing, I heard it when:

• the half time whistle was blown
  • when Kazim-Richards touched the ball for 5 minutes following his petulant penalty behaviour
  • when Murphy came on (although this appeared to be a response to a perceived defensive substitution, not directly at Murphy)

I very rarely agree with booing of any kind (although I gave Kean some stick from time to time) but I could absolutely empathise with the reaction towards CKR after the penalty miss, though I wasn't tempted to join in.

I don't expect a caretaker manager to be making such massive changes or calling the shots likes he's the big man. He's temporarily in charge because there is nobody there to manage and Venky's are his employer. It will be helping his CV and he's doing a good job all things considered. He's actually made more changes than I'd have expected. He's been able to shore up the defence, change certain aspects of the style and drop a major Summer signing. If he's not allowed to play a certain player then nobody in his position would be playing that player. I'm more inclined to believe it's an attitude problem when it comes to Vuckevic but nobody knows conclusively the reasons why he isn't playing.

I'm in no way advocating he gets the job of course, but if yesterday was his last game in charge of us then I think he can take a lot of positives from the contributions he made.

• Backroom

We did have a few chances yesterday just djdnt force the keeper into action, Rhodes had a couple where his control let him down and he couldn't get a shot away and a header that should have really tested the keeper, also a few pedersen deliveries should have had a better end product but were headed over by Hanley and someone else I can't recall and Orr missed a sitter.

Against sheff wed we had one off the line and Kazim skied from close range

Archived