BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beer at Ewood

I see it is being reported that Rovers have changed to a different beer supplier at Ewood ?

As an expat these days I'm not as familiar as I used to be with the different brews on offer locally. When I was growing up, there were three breweries in Blackburn, Thwaites, Duttons, and Lion.

I seem to remember that Duttons were taken over by Whitbread and that Lion was sold to S&N who then closed it down. But As far as I'm aware Thwaites is still going. I have always wondered why Rovers never had any deals with Thwaites ? It was certainly my beverage of choice, with the dark mild my favourite, later dark smooth.

I'll be interested to hear what the general opinion of drinking folk is these days.

The previous supplier was Thwaites, who are indeed very local. However, Thwaites don't brew a lager and have to buy it in for Rovers. Matchday sales are 85% lager so it didn't make much commercial sense. As a result the club have switched to Heineken UK and the lager served will still be Fosters, the bitter will switch to John Smiths Smooth. I presume it's not practical to have a proper real beer on given sales are only every 2 weeks.

At the last game the thwaites was £2. the lad behind the bar said it was because they were changing supplier but didnt know who too.

That said, it takes that bloody long to get served in the Riverside, most folk have given up before they get a beer!

John Smiths,along with Tetleys is the absolute pits of ale. Always sold at places where they don't have a decent cellar like hotels and temporary bars outdoors. Easy to keep and cosistantly poor. I will not be drinking at Ewood in the future.

The previous supplier was Thwaites, who are indeed very local. However, Thwaites don't brew a lager and have to buy it in for Rovers. Matchday sales are 85% lager so it didn't make much commercial sense. As a result the club have switched to Heineken UK and the lager served will still be Fosters, the bitter will switch to John Smiths Smooth. I presume it's not practical to have a proper real beer on given sales are only every 2 weeks.

Terrible beer. It is possible to get ale delivered for match days. Just needs to be put in place and allowed to settle before tapping and serving. Also possible to get ale in kegs.

Probably more efficient serving keg beers (creamflows and lagers) as they have a much longer shelf life than cask. Casks need to be emptied within a few days of 'opening'. Plus they would need a decent cellar to keep it cool.

I always thought Thwaites brewed or supplied Warsteiner? My god, its a great lager but ...if that went on the bar.......how many arrests would there be!!!!

Probably more efficient serving keg beers (creamflows and lagers) as they have a much longer shelf life than cask. Casks need to be emptied within a few days of 'opening'. Plus they would need a decent cellar to keep it cool.

I always thought Thwaites brewed or supplied Warsteiner? My god, its a great lager but ...if that went on the bar.......how many arrests would there be!!!!

Yes I agree - (meant to say keg in the last post, now edited) cannot see ewood having a decent cellar. I know camra don't like keg - if a pub has them they do not give that particular beer a vote. But that won't matter to places like Rovers. I know at Brighton they do both fosters and have a seperate area for ales. They serve two at the moment, Harverys best bitter and Hophead. But £3.90 a pint. Cannot believe rovers have gone for smiths of all beers, terrible. Looks like it will be postal order for me in future or number 39 in darwen.

Looks like it will be postal order for me in future or number 39 in darwen.
Try the black bull at tockholes pre match. Not far away from ewood. Best real ale pub in the area. It's the brewery tap for three b's brewery. Three b's doft cocker is the best local pint, closely followed by thwaites wainwright.

Hopstar (brewer for no 39) is good but not as good as three b's.

It's a shame rovers and thwaites have never enjoyed a closer relationship. Thwaites have sponsored lancs cricket club for years; shame it hasn't happened with rovers.

Simple economics, even properly kept rovers wouldn't shift enough real ale on the concourses to be worth the faff, plus would expect agency staff to keep and serve it properly?

I love decent beer, but I'd never expect it on the concourses. In the same way I love a decent steak over a grotty hamburger, but I would expect steak on the concourses either.

That said, John Smiths Smooth IS pap, but it's lowest common denominator pap that any bitter drink will drink over lager.

Simple economics, even properly kept rovers wouldn't shift enough real ale on the concourses to be worth the faff, plus would expect agency staff to keep and serve it properly?

I love decent beer, but I'd never expect it on the concourses. In the same way I love a decent steak over a grotty hamburger, but I would expect steak on the concourses either.

That said, John Smiths Smooth IS pap, but it's lowest common denominator pap that any bitter drink will drink over lager.

There are some 'reasonable' creamflow bitters, Banks', Theakstons and even Boddies is drinkable. I always drink a 'decent' lager if there's only John Smiths on the bar.

Try the black bull at tockholes pre match. Not far away from ewood. Best real ale pub in the area. It's the brewery tap for three b's brewery. Three b's doft cocker is the best local pint, closely followed by thwaites wainwright.

Hopstar (brewer for no 39) is good but not as good as three b's.

It's a shame rovers and thwaites have never enjoyed a closer relationship. Thwaites have sponsored lancs cricket club for years; shame it hasn't happened with rovers.

Does the Three B's still do their brewery "tour"? ;)

For a couple of seasons prior to this one, there has been a small bar set up at the back of the Riverside selling cask Wainwrights. It was done really well and they served a cracking pint.

It would never have made a penny of profit though.

Fosters is proper lame...

Would like to see Heineken on draught, can be a decent pint that...

Im not really an ale or bitter drinker but can appreciate the nicer ones!

I heard Brightons away end put on a guest ale from the area of the country the visiting team were from?

Not sure how true that is, nice touch if it is...

For a couple of seasons prior to this one, there has been a small bar set up at the back of the Riverside selling cask Wainwrights. It was done really well and they served a cracking pint.

It would never have made a penny of profit though.

They did it in jack walker stand v Blackpool 2-2 draw a couple of seasons back. Needless to say I spent the first 60 mins of the game in the concourse!

Yes but they are reluctant to do it on match days which is a shame. I drink in black bull pre match but I've never partaken in one of their tours
I've been a couple of times. The tour is optional to an extent.

Tends to be more of a beer fest and a massive game of killer pool.

Good night with some nice ales. But what do I know, I like John Smiths Smooth and even Boddies. (I'm sure they'll both be off sale soon due to lack of customers! :D )

The little bar at the back of the Riverside was fantastic - miss that. I'd chose cask ale every time. Does that mean that the 95 ale (specifically brewed for Rovers) won't be on sale in Blues anymore? Very decent pint that.

For the sake of convenience, it was good when they had a bloke walking around selling bottles of Fosters for £2.50 a pop at the back of the riverside. I'd always get 2, or 4 if I only had a £10 note... Missing a trick not doing that anymore, as the queues are just daft.

Archived