BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Apple Airport Extreme/Express

Anybody got any experience of using the Apple Airport Extreme or Express? Looking at getting one to boost my wifi and also take advantage of the Airplay.

Can't wait for all the anti-Apple responses, but hey ho, I have Macbooks and Iphones/Ipods so like to keep things simple and the same, especially as I am comfortable with the Apple operating systems and interfaces.

Well there's no comparable product from anyone else, so if you want Airport functionality then you need an Airport.

I've got Macs but I have an Xbox 360 or a Macbook plugged in downstairs for streaming from iTunes. If I didn't have those then I'd definitely get an Airport.

Do you have one of these, Stuart?

How do they work? Can you plug it in on any TV? Which port does it go into? Is it compatible with iPad etc?

I've got one, standard HDMI output. Best few quid i've spent.

Have a hard drive plugged in which the box indexes and you can browse the library on there, or pick up my media player library on my PC. DLNA complaint so can also use the Windows "play to" functionality to play off PC and (I believe) from android tablets.

Dont have an Ipad so cant say how that would work.

Well, you cant use the windows "play to" functionality to stream to it.

Its media library stuff is pretty good - downloads background information etc.

Better for browsing media.

Plays everything natively, so dont have to transcode anything

I do use the ps3 for US netflix mind !

Do you have one of these, Stuart?

How do they work? Can you plug it in on any TV? Which port does it go into? Is it compatible with iPad etc?

Yes. I love it.

As Ste says it's standard HDMI. I have a couple of 2TB WD external hard drives hooked up to it.

I'm still working on streaming from it between my iPhone. It does have some functionality via Zappo. I can access my movies/music via wifi on my iPhone using VLC but I have to have my laptop on to enable the VLC streamer helper.

Ste, any advice in this area would be gratefully relieved. :tu:

Yes. I love it.

As Ste says it's standard HDMI. I have a couple of 2TB WD external hard drives hooked up to it.

I'm still working on streaming from it between my iPhone. It does have some functionality via Zappo. I can access my movies/music via wifi on my iPhone using VLC but I have to have my laptop on to enable the VLC streamer helper.

Ste, any advice in this area would be gratefully relieved. :tu:

I dont use it to stream via wi-fi. Dont have the disadvantage of using apple products if i did mind. The WD forums arent that bad.

Related to this I'd mention Sonos. Before Christmas I was looking for a way to play our large music collection stored on CD, laptop, external hard drives, cassette and vinyl. It was a mess and the only thing available to play any of this stuff is an iPhone or laptop!! After a bit of thought we decided we didn't want to invest in a traditional stereo / audio system but simply needed a way to store all the music digitally and be able to play it instantly anywhere in the house.

While I know other systems such as NAS and Airplay do a lot more we didn't want all the audio, video, streaming etc. as we wouldn't use it. I also didn't want to have a laptop switched on all the time to access the music from a hard drive, I certainly didn't want a server! Sonos seemed to fit the bill. Initially I bought just one speaker and the bridge, two days later I was so pleased I bought two more speakers. I'm now converting all the vinyl and cassette to digital to store on a laptop and iPhones. The Sonos bridge connects to the router via wifi and it's then possible to play music from any device which can connect with the router. We use iphones and it's delightfully simple, select the track in Sonos and hit play! That's it. If you have multiple speakers in different rooms it's possible to play a different track on each speaker at the same time meaning several people can listen to their own music at the same time. The iPhone acts as the "remote control" for volume, track selection, etc.

Set up is a cinch. It took ten minutes at most. Basically plug in, connect wi fi, download software and off you go.

Aside from your own music any music available on the web can be streamed along with an almost endless range of radio stations.

One of the best purchases I've made in a long time.

http://www.sonos.com/

They are brilliant - especially being able to have speakers around the house. Can't believe you have 3 though!! Rothschilds much?? :D

I also like that with the bridge plugged into your router you can plug the speaker anywhere in your house.

Get yourself a Spotify or Napster account, if

you can afford it. For a fiver a month you have access to stacks and stacks of music that you can stream directly to your Sonos speakers. As a bonus you can have one track playing on one speaker and a different one on the others. All controllable from an iPhone app. (The app is also available for Android and even PC).

If it's any use, for an extra fiver a month, you can "download" whatever album you want to your iPhone for offline playing - or even stream over 3G. I use the speech marks because you never actually own the tracks they are in a temporary cache which you can't access (at least not legally - and no I don't know how to!).

There are limitations on the music, e.g. Pink Floyd, AC/DC and The Beatles aren't on there amongst others.

Yep aware of all that Stuart and you're right it is brilliant. All the simplest things are. We got three speakers in a fit of enthusiasm!!

We got Napster for six months free

We were having a Christmas party and needed a way to play music. It was a retro party for our many friends in their 50s/60s growing old disgracefully! I wanted a speaker each for the lounge and dining room but got carried away and decided to get one for our bedroom (no connection with the party!!!)

You're right being able to carry the speaker around means one is enough, more is an indulgence!

Highly recommended to anyone who wants to play digital music simply.

Archived