BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New PlayStation 4

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sales figures are very interesting.

Xbox One sold 3 million (upto 31st December 2013).

Playstation 4 sold 4.2 million (upto 28th December 2013).

With the PS4 yet to launch in Japan where it will clean up, they will have a healthy lead over the Xbox One by end of February.

What these figures prove is that those that where saying that console gaming is dying got it badly wrong. 7.2 million units sold in less than a month show the opposite.

It is great for the industry that both consoles have done well, but with Sony establishing a healthy advantage over Xbox One it will be the lead platform for multi-platform games with games being ported to the Xbox One. I also think that this generation will be much shorter than the last, 4-5 years maximum.

What these figures prove is that those that where saying that console gaming is dying got it badly wrong. 7.2 million units sold in less than a month show the opposite.

I wouldn't say it's dying, but the money does seem to be moving elsewhere. The budgets for successful console games are huge now, so it's either too expensive or too risky for many companies to consider.

Plenty of major players have gone bust because their console games have underperformed, whereas it's possible to release something more modest on iOS / Android / PC and make a profit without having to bet the entire business on it.

If Valve's Steam OS takes off, Playstation and Xbox could be in trouble in the long term.

I also think that this generation will be much shorter than the last, 4-5 years maximum.

I'd agree with that. Now the consoles are made from off-the-shelf PC hardware, they can refresh the specs in a few years and retain backwards compatibility.

• 4 weeks later...

One flaw I have with the ps4 is the battery life of the new joypad. Its nowhere near as good as the dualshock 3. Not a major issue, but its big step down

I agree, I imagine it's the big light and the touchpad.

I got a PS4 for Christmas, it's very flash and apart from a lack of games and software it's still really impressive.

Can't wait for some Naughty Dog games to come out, they're always the ones that pierce the xbox fanboys' hearts.

• 2 months later...

I've pretty much said the same thing in the X1 thread... nex gen consoles aren't really worth picking up until at least a year later when developers have had a chance to fully grasp the architecture of the machines and put it to good use. Unlike fifteen to twenty years ago when new consoles provided a genuinely impressive leap in graphical capabilities, nowadays improvement in that area is very limited and gameplay for the time being will be better on the PS3/360 than PS4/X1. 

This.. I havent gone out yet for either console, as im waiting to see what happens on the software side of things. The PS3 is still going strong, and im thinking of upgrading the PC, so for me its wait and see

• 1 year later...

I've decided against both PS4 and X1.. I'm on the hunt for a Gaming PC

I've joined the PC Master Race, too. Built myself a bitchin' rig from scratch. However, I'll probably still get a PS4 sometime next year.

• Moderation Lead

Like many people, I started out as a PC gamer way back when, but everyone I know has now got PS4/XB1, although the graphics are way better on PC, for me anyway there's no community any more, so getting a PS4 was a no-brainer.

Not sure about online games but if you've got a spare couple of years, the Witcher 3 is great.

I would have bought witcher 3 but no online play put me off

GTA V :). FIFA Ultimate Team is ridiculously addictive online, I've had to wane myself off it!

Got grand theft auto, hardly play it, do they have gyms in the online mode?

Archived