BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season Tickets 2013/14

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

some would say we are returning to our 'place' in football pre JW. A small town, with relatively small support (by Championship standards), not a lot of money to thrown about because of FFP so are a selling/trading club at the lower end of the market. Generally relying on youth products and journeymen players with the odd gem which will be sold to balance the books.

If we are still in the Championship in five years time with gates of 12k - 15k my main worry will be the cost of maintaining the Cat 1 status of the academy, the senior training centre and Ewood - pre JW we only had a crumbling ground and the mini bus to the run the players down to Pleasington to worry about. Even accounting for inflation, the club costs a hell of a lot more to run now than it did back in the late 80's.

The club will need more money from matchday revenue to sustain the day-to-day running - the day of the mega cheap season ticket may be numbered, and from a business point of view that nettle will have to be grabbed sooner rather than later.

Agreed. Didn't think it would still be possible for Venkys to further disappoint and infuriate me by now but they've certainly managed it this summer. Last season's spending spree gave me the impression that they were ready and willing to bankroll a return to the PL, and only Singh and Shaw's appalling managerial choices were preventing it.

This summer has seen a complete retreat from that approach and in my opinion that will now condemn us to permanent life outside the PL. There are advances that have been made since the 1980s, football produces more revenue in general so I don't think we'll go back to those days in terms of primitive off-field conditions for players and fans. But yeah stuff like the academy will probably take a hit and as you say, there's no possible way season tickets will stay cheap unless Venkys continue to subsidise them.

• 2 weeks later...

Boycotted last season on the basis that Venkys might take note of a mass refusal to put money up front in the coffers.

Son & I missed the matchday involvement so much it pained us hugely. Followed all matches on variety of media without putting £s in the Club pot.

Kean went (eventually) and appetite was whetted by attendance at 3 Ewood "must go" matches Forest (after Kean departure), Millwall (Cup last 8) and Palace (last home game of season), though we found the atmosphere weirdly flat.

Renewed 2 season tickets on Riverside moments before the Forest game and happy to continue to support the matchday shirts as opposed to the ownership regime.

Most noticeable positive characteristics that I have seen from whole-team performances are integrity and industry (for example Jason Lowe's very encouraging display today) but which will take us only so far in terms of upward mobility on their own.

Plenty of "Labore" then at moment................I believe that a few more "together" displays will breed a team confidence that will encourage individuals to display a bit more "Arte"

Archived