BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football attendances

I've no doubt you will odb, and you too clitheroe...... Ever wondered whether your kids and their kids will be with you though? :rock: They wont want saddling with a tiny little club plodding around the lower divisions without any future hope and trading on former glories I'm sure.

You know what Jack Walker's motto was I presume?

Some may have thought that I may have been saddled with a tiny little club plodding around the third division when my dad first took me to Ewood though.

"Think big" was Jacks motto.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight I sat with a couple of thousand people watching some old blokes in blue and white halves take the mick out of twenty or so Sunday League hopefuls. My ten year old son sat with me and insisted we stay to the final whistle. To Theno et al ..... you will never kill our spirit ... we are Blackburn Rovers ... like it or lump it ... we will never go away.

Right.......... er is that your spirit or the spirit of the other 1999? :rolleyes:

The point is I and my offspring are quite happy to 'slum it' with 1998 others. You wannabe 'Big Time Charlies' can burger-off to United (Manchester or Lancashire variety .... take your pick ... equally repulsive) anytime you want. You are nothing.

The point is I and my offspring are quite happy to 'slum it' with 1998 others. You wannabe 'Big Time Charlies' can burger-off to United (Manchester or Lancashire variety .... take your pick ... equally repulsive) anytime you want. You are nothing.

A tad strong.

No, not your last sentence, the fact you would be 'happy'. :lol:

Jack said think big but I sure giving up never enteted his mind and would spin in his grave at the idea of Lancs Utd replacing his beloved Rovers

If Rovers ever get too smalltime for some there are 91 other clubs for people to choose from before dismantling Rovers for a "liberal democrat"-esque idea (i can give it no less disdain than that)

• Moderation Lead

Jack said think big but I sure giving up never enteted his mind and would spin in his grave at the idea of Lancs Utd replacing his beloved Rovers

If Rovers ever get too smalltime for some there are 91 other clubs for people to choose from before dismantling Rovers for a "liberal democrat"-esque idea (i can give it no less disdain than that)

Yep. Going on about disbanding your team of a life time to merge with a series of others is a non-starter. it's almost akin to 'glory hunting' :tu: Regional tribalism is far too entrenched anyway.

At any rate, this suggests I give the idea credence, I don't. I support Rovers as it's my local team, and as long as they're around, I will be.

Resorting to juvenile insults will not help your cause. The support you crave will never keep Ewood Park from the bailiffs so what you gonna do then when the shutters go up at EP for the last time?

Remember the good times. Proud that we didn't sell our soul for the chance of plastic glory.

I loved the good times when we were punching way above our weight even though it always had more than a touch of 'Fantasy Island' about our situation. However one might argue that selling our soul for plastic glory is precisely what we did do! We would still be trundling aimlessly around the 2nd and 3rd (and maybe 4th) divisions poor as a church mouse and would never have experienced 20 years at the top table without Jack Walker's fabulous wealth. We all to a man were seduced by the situation and excitedly welcomed him in all wide eyed and innocent and in return he became effectively the sole owner. It was this situation after his death which ultimately allowed the sale of the club to the venkymob. I've no problems with the Walker Trust unloading us after 20 years cos they had done more than enough for this town and it had to end somewhere, but without Jack's involvement I'm pretty sure that we would never have heard of the Venkly's..... and vice versa!

So we've had our 'plastic glory', our day in the sun. So what now? Back to sackcloth and ashes and doffing our cap to a moderately big team every 3rd season or so in a cup tie, or do we do what the dinosaurs couldn't quite manage and adapt to changing conditions?

Go start it up then, I don't understand what the point of repeatedly going on about it on here is. You've found out what our fans opinions are, at least 95% against with views ranging from total disgusted abhorrence to dismissal on practical grounds. Continued labouring of the point with no intention of ever making any effort to make it a reality strikes me as a pretty pointless wind-up.

Guest Norbert

I do sometimes wonder if attendances wil one day drop, as top level football becomes ever more detatched from reality, season tickets rocket ever skywards and the TV bubble bursts. This money driven greed and the resultant corruption must surely swallow up a great deal of the love for the game, and the teams will be more of a fashion statement than having that emotional connection it needs.

Has there ever been an equivalent to Drog's 'Lanky United' in a major footballing nation, just for precedent?

Closest I can think of is ICT.

Their gates aren't massive yet but they were pipped for 3rd place on the last day of the SPL season this year.

If they keep up their form then in a couple of generations who knows.

These are the kind of timescales we are talking.

Nobody thinks Lancashire County would have fans flocking to them it would take decades for the NIMBYs to die off but ultimately it gives Lancastrians the best chance of being "represented" by a successful team.

As an aside I'm sure nobody, not even Gordon WANTS LCFC. In an ideal world BRFC would be a thriving hotbed of football fans but in reality the numbers just don't add up. Post Venkys we will almost certainly find out.

Go start it up then, I don't understand what the point of repeatedly going on about it on here is. You've found out what our fans opinions are, at least 95% against with views ranging from total disgusted abhorrence to dismissal on practical grounds. Continued labouring of the point with no intention of ever making any effort to make it a reality strikes me as a pretty pointless wind-up.

Debate obviously not being your forte Steve ^_^ .

Here, read this then.... http://www.brfcs.com/mb/index.php/topic/29496-a-taste-of-things-to-come/?p=1417108

I'm struggling to see what the "future generation" has to gain in all this, What sets Lancashire United apart from the Manchester Clubs? There's no connection there. So how are we doing them a favour?

None of it makes sense. It's such a ridiculous idea.

I'm Lancastrian, not Mancunian.

I'd move the cricket from Old Trafford too if I could.

Archived