BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox One

• Backroom

Anybody see the announcement of this? Have to say I'm distinctly underwhelmed. The name is just terrible - Sony already had the PSOne, so why essentially copy that with Xbox One? A serious lack of creativity - 720 and Infinity, the rumoured names, sounded far superior.

Saying that, a name doesn't make a console, but what I saw left me pretty cold. I don't really care about talking to my console, it really isn't that hard to push a button on the controller to turn the thing on or flick through channels using a remote control. The widgets and stuff are kind of cool, but basically a novelty that won't get used regularly.

Graphically I saw nothing out of the ordinary and similarly the game engines don't show any sign of radical improvement. Admittedly it's early days and the footage will be mostly beta stuff, but I have to admit I expected better. I didn't see anything that looked noticeably better than the games I'm already playing on my 360. It's still very easy to tell that what you're seeing in computer graphics and not reality, which is a tad disappointing nearly 20 years after the Playstation, Saturn and N64 made such incredible leaps forward in graphical technology.

The whole Kinect thing was a bit creepy. It always has to be plugged in - great - and is able to sense who you are and even your heartbeat? Hmmm. In some ways it's cool but really unnecessary, the technology isn't advanced enough yet to start producing truly amazing movement-related experiences, though it is getting there.

Microsoft's treatment of second hand gaming is a disgrace, but expected from such a greedy, ruthless company. It's this alone that will very likely push me towards a PS4, though it'll be interesting to see what Microsoft pitch at E3 to keep pushing the console forward into mainstream consciousness.

Interestingly, early stock market indications show a distinct drop in Microsoft share prices and a rise for Sony this evening. Seems investors don't buy what Microsoft are trying to sell either.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really dont understand the "its a tv" thing, how difficult is it really to press a button on your remote? The skype thing ok, but how often are you really want to have a video conference?

The games are obviously a way off being ready, but it only showed cut scenes. The E3 conference better have more to show, or the PS4 will blow it away.

The name is rubbish, but that really doesnt matter.

I personally think it looks rubbish too.

I'm fed up with both Sony and MS trying to cram in "Entertainment" items into their consoles, it's never great. I have an Intel NUC (which is tiny and superb) that deals with all my internet, streaming, browsing needs and there's no limitations on formats I can play which is what ALWAYS cripples the options from the consoles. I don't want to have to re-encode or hope that a certain streaming service will release an app for that device etc etc. Rubbish.

I'm not too surprised by the 2nd hand nonsense. There had been a lot of rumours that both MS and Sony would block 2nd hand completely. I thnk there is a lot of pressure from the likes of EA who hate the 2nd hand market. I think you'll find some of the 2nd had "fee" will be handed over to the publisher. I wouldn't be too surprised if Sony does something similar at some point as they only said that 2nd hand will work, but didn't go into the detail.

Oh and going off the pre-order prices, it's far too expensive too.

I was very underwhelmed by the Microsoft reveal yesterday. I don't like the design and whereas Sony at least spent some time talking about games, Microsoft didn't. It is clear to me that Microsoft are aiming this at a much wider market and positioning it as a media hub rather than a games console, in that respect they would see Apple as the competitor rather than Sony, especially with Apple set to launch their own iTV later this year. When you look at it in that context then you can understand why Microsoft took the direction they did last night.

Like most on here, I am a core gamer. I like to have additional services on my games console but it's primary function for me is to offer me gaming experiences. I will already be buying the PS4 mainly because of the exclusive game franchises that Sony have (Uncharted etc.), I will see what Microsoft reveal at E3 in terms of exclusive games before deciding whether to buy the Xbox One or not.

• Backroom

Another thing to note, you can't even borrow games off people on the X1. To play the game - whether borrowed or second hand - you have to pay full price for every console it's used on.

Saw a poll on a gaming website which asked people if they were buying a PS4 or X1 - it was 85-15 in PS4's favour. Microsoft could be having their SEGA moment here and killing this console before it even gets into the market. Sony must be delighted, especially after their own reveal was such a let down. They could surely never have imagined Microsoft could produce something this underwhelming to make their own announcement look OK in comparison.

Just had a read about the Xbox One. Like you guys i am just really dissapointed. No second hand games was a huge let down, as was no backwards compatibility. All of the fancy gizmo's will be short lived, like the Nintendo Wii. Everyone had one but few kept it going as the novelty wore off.

All Sony need to do is allow 2nd hand/borrowed games to be played and they will win hands down.

MS haven't said no 2nd games, they will be allowed but there will be a fee to play. I didn't think the "fee" had been confirmed yet. It could be full price, hlaf price, £10, £2, who knows.

Also, I thought Sony had already confirmed that 2nd hand would be allowed BUT they are implementing a mechanism whereby the publisher can choose whether to allow a game to be re-used. I believe EA will be using that option to its fullest.

• Backroom

MS haven't said no 2nd games, they will be allowed but there will be a fee to play. I didn't think the "fee" had been confirmed yet. It could be full price, hlaf price, £10, £2, who knows.

Also, I thought Sony had already confirmed that 2nd hand would be allowed BUT they are implementing a mechanism whereby the publisher can choose whether to allow a game to be re-used. I believe EA will be using that option to its fullest.

There have been quotes from a MS rep to say the "fee" will be the same cost as a new game. Read here: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Although it does seem that in the wake of the recent backlash they're backtracking at a rate of knots. Microsoft are no fools, so I expect things may change between now and when the console is released in regards to this issue.

Another thing to note, you can't even borrow games off people on the X1. To play the game - whether borrowed or second hand - you have to pay full price for every console it's used on.

Saw a poll on a gaming website which asked people if they were buying a PS4 or X1 - it was 85-15 in PS4's favour. Microsoft could be having their SEGA moment here and killing this console before it even gets into the market. Sony must be delighted, especially after their own reveal was such a let down. They could surely never have imagined Microsoft could produce something this underwhelming to make their own announcement look OK in comparison.

Not quite true, it will be full price for every profile it's used on. So you could buy 5 consoles and as long as you logged on with the same profile you wouldn't have to pay for the game again.

Not saying I agree with it btw just pointing out what MS have said.

I've bought loads of games for the PC and I can't lend them to anybody or trade them in, so Xbox One isn't exactly breaking new anti-consumer ground.

Pitching it as a living-room gadget rather than a games console, disappointing though it may be for gamers, might be sensible. A few years ago my Xbox friends list was always full of people playing games, but now it seems to be 90% Netflix, Sky, iPlayer or whatever. Microsoft gradually added all that functionality to the Xbox 360, and I'm sure they're fully aware of how large a proportion of their customer base now uses the console as a set-top box that sometimes plays games. So the new Xbox does the same stuff but starts up quicker (because it's never fully switched off) and has other features.

• Backroom

Not quite true, it will be full price for every profile it's used on. So you could buy 5 consoles and as long as you logged on with the same profile you wouldn't have to pay for the game again.

Not saying I agree with it btw just pointing out what MS have said.

True, though I think they will change their stance considerably before the console is released.

Edit: As it turns out, they haven't even waited that long. Now saying there won't be a fee for used games... ouch :lol: looks like they've been shaken by the reaction to their little attempt to hijack second hand gaming. I'm sure this won't be the last we hear of it, but for now it looks like they're bowing to the pressure (whilst crying "misinformation").

That's not likely to happen with Kinect - apart from it probably being unenforceable (as mentioned in that article) the thing can only track six people. If it's simply counting faces, it could be done by any device with a webcam (PS3, iPad, a phone, a laptop, a 'smart' TV).

• Backroom

Microsoft will update the Kinect's firmware throughout its lifespan. It may not be able to do it straight away but it will be able to in time.

As for being unenforceable, we'll see. I'm sure the film industry would happily use their muscle to apply some pressure and make it enforceable.

Apparently it will also look to see what kind of snacks the audience is eating, and will shut down if it detects somebody drinking Pepsi during a Coke-sponsored show.

Had a look at the technical specs of both the PS4 and Xbox one. Essentially they are both the same, they both use the same architecture. What has surprised me is that Microsoft allowed the PS4 to be a little more powerful, so in theory the games should look better on the PS4 if developers decide to harness that extra power, but I suspect developers (for cross platform games) will develop to Xbox One power rather than to PS4 and then scale down the game for Xbox One as that would require extra resources.

So in the end it will come down to Exclusive titles, which machine has the exclusives that you want to play. We should get answers to that question on June 11th when the E3 confrences take place.

Another difference is that it has some kind of force feedback in the triggers on the controller. That's the only thing the games "press" has been universally positive about. You'll be able to feel the rumble of a gun or a car engine from directly under your fingertips rather than through both hands - I find I tend to 'zone out' the rumble with the current setup.

Of course there's still time for Sony to pinch that idea for PS4 (just like they added analogue sticks and, later, vibration to the PS1 after Nintendo used it in the N64, and gave the PS3 controller motion-sensing capability after the Wii was announced).

So in the end it will come down to Exclusive titles, which machine has the exclusives that you want to play. We should get answers to that question on June 11th when the E3 confrences take place.

I don't know how the Xbox has lasted as long as it has when it comes to exclusive titles.

They get first access to all the Call of Duty expansions, and that's been the most popular game for a few years now, so Xbox is the main venue for Modern Warfare and Black Ops and all that. Didn't they have first dibs on the GTA IV episodes too?

Otherwise, I don't know... there aren't many exclusives that would make me buy either console. Almost all the best things appeared on both. Halo was good but it went off the boil. I might have bought a PS3 for Last Guardian, but that never appeared.

Some people are nuts for the EA Sports games, and I read there's some kind of deal with Microsoft for those games.

Yep, don't get why anyone would buy a console for the exclusives. The biggest games are always on both consoles. I think the only "exclusive" I've ever played is Halo and that gets a bit "Meh".

Surely if you buy say the PS4 as it has Uncharted you would be equally disappointed if an amazing exclusive came out on the Xbox One and vice versa.

As both boxes look pretty much identical power wise, I would think most people will just stick with the eco-system they already know. Personally, I'll wait until they drop in price and there's some hands on information about the pros and cons of both.

I might end up getting neither as you don't need much power for the Lego games and I've gone back to gaming on the PC.

• Backroom

I won't buy a next-gen console until at least a year after they're released, if not more, anyway. I figure in that time I should have plenty of information as to which console I should buy (if any).

Maybe if GTA V was coming out on one of the new consoles I could be tempted, because it's going to look a bit rough on the 360 and there doesn't seem to be a PC version.

So far I haven't heard of any games that would make me buy either machine. I'm not very good at willpower, though - I ended up getting a 360 fairly early because of Geometry Wars (downloadable game that cost about £3) and the built-in music visualiser.

Archived