BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] iOS 7

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks quite good, Nick. (I think Gordon calls you that!).

http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/ios7/

Sept 10th is looking likely...

That's because it's my name pal !

Cheers Stu, looking forward to it.

Currently watching the WWDC conference from June here > http://www.apple.com/uk/apple-events/june-2013/

Think I'll throw myself on the Apple altar !

Apple have confirmed that they will be unveiling the new iPhone on 10th September. They are most likely going to show 2 iPhone models. One will be the upgrade to the iPhone 5, and the other will be the iPhone5C, it will be a cheaper version.

They will also be showing iOS7 and possibly refreshing the iPads.

Nick pointed out this thread on Facebook and I thought I should probably comment on it. Been using ios7 today on a development iPad. It's very nice indeed. Some nice new tweaks with the swipes.

Lots of new features and a very nice new style to the apps and the general look of things. I'm hoping to get it on my iPad tomorrow if they can do it. If not I'll have more of a play on it on the development device.

Nick pointed out this thread on Facebook and I thought I should probably comment on it. Been using ios7 today on a development iPad. It's very nice indeed. Some nice new tweaks with the swipes.

Lots of new features and a very nice new style to the apps and the general look of things. I'm hoping to get it on my iPad tomorrow if they can do it. If not I'll have more of a play on it on the development device.

Looks great Ricky I can't wait. Had loads of phones over the years android Nokia Samsung you name it, And whilst not perfect the iPhone is definitely the way forward

Yeah not sure about the icons but some definite day to day improvements. Control panel access, phone general feels more responsive, calendar much improved and much easier to see year ahead etc.

First impression positive

Background colour for icon groups looks like someone vomited. Must try to find a change !

After a lot of playing I'd say this is a big step forward. Lots of improvements to existing features making them more accessible.

Granted the icons are a bit childish - emerging market? :)

Yep I like it

I like it too!

How can you see a month view in calendar though?

In Calendar > Today top left hand corner should show "September" tap this to go to month view. You can then scroll the months back and forward

In the month view in too left corner now shows "2013". Tap this for year view and scroll years.

If you want a list of Calendar events hit the search button.

Also like the new use of Home button. Double click wherever you are to be taken to a scrollable view of all open apps. On previous versions this used to make a delete option appear on app icons which forced the app to shutdown when tapped.

On iOS7 these cards are scrollable left and right. If you are using one app, double click and scroll to another a single cluck then takes you back to the previous one. To close an app swipe it upwards

Calculator in "simple" view now has a percentage button. Good.

People are going to criticise iOS7 and personally I don't have an Apple love affair but as a user I have to say the improvements for day to day use are significant. That's all I care about, something which works better today than yesterday. All the techie stuff goes over my head and is of no interest to the vast majority of users.

Would like to be able to chose background colour for my Calendar.

Good stuff Apple. Well done.

Interesting bit for me, is that generally the view is, that iPhones are perfect. There are no issues, etc etc, but when you then read comments like its improved my battery life, its improved this and that, then it proves that iPhone doesn't JUST work. I'm still very much of the opinion, that Steve Jobs and Apple did an exceptional job(no pun intended) on marketing and selling their product. I've been on every possible OS out there, ie iOS, Android, winmo etc, and looking at this latest OS upgrade from Apple, its just not something you will sit up and say wow. It looks very amateurish, and while it might have improved certain bits of the previous OS, and added a few new functionalities, it still strikes me as very poor from Apple. This is a major update, so one would have expected a lot better. If this was say a minor update following the major update, then I would say great, no problem, but for me personally, I'm disappointed and going back to my HTC One

As I said earlier all smart phones basically do the same job. I used not to like Android but now I have a Nexus 7 I can see in some ways it's superior to iOS and the Nexus, for my needs, is certainly superior to the iPad. The major difference being iPad seems directed solely towards entertainment while the Nexus, and therefore Android, covers both commercial and entertainment needs.

I think what iOS7 has done is upgrade an already perfectly functional device with better "useability." I didn't expect a major breakthrough. I guess the difference, and possibly you don't appreciate, there are millions whose only interest is does it work well for whom any smartphone works well. There is another market, probably like yourself, which wants to dabble in rooting and other techie stuff and I see Android is better here.

The drawbacks are on both sides. For example my Nexus doesn't easily sink with Outlook or rum TomTom both of which I need daily but iPhone does. Equally I can't run MS products on Apple devices but can on Android. Therefore in my eyes BOTH systems have limitations but possibly Android more so. For example I don't need MS products on my iPhone but I do WANT and NEED TomTom and Outlook on my Nexus which I can't have.

Another example would be TapaTalk which is vastly superior on iPhone. No one is the best, just horses for courses.

If you are with Orange the first time you switch the phone off after the update when you switch on again you may get an invalid sim message.

If so switch off, remove sim, reinsert and then switch on.

In Calendar > Today top left hand corner should show "September" tap this to go to month view. You can then scroll the months back and forward

In the month view in too left corner now shows "2013". Tap this for year view and scroll years.

If you want a list of Calendar events hit the search button.

Also like the new use of Home button. Double click wherever you are to be taken to a scrollable view of all open apps. On previous versions this used to make a delete option appear on app icons which forced the app to shutdown when tapped.

On iOS7 these cards are scrollable left and right. If you are using one app, double click and scroll to another a single cluck then takes you back to the previous one. To close an app swipe it upwards

Calculator in "simple" view now has a percentage button. Good.

People are going to criticise iOS7 and personally I don't have an Apple love affair but as a user I have to say the improvements for day to day use are significant. That's all I care about, something which works better today than yesterday. All the techie stuff goes over my head and is of no interest to the vast majority of users.

Would like to be able to chose background colour for my Calendar.

Good stuff Apple. Well done.

A fellow cyclist and an apple genius, many thanks Paul

The drawbacks are on both sides. For example my Nexus doesn't easily sink with Outlook or rum TomTom both of which I need daily but iPhone does. Equally I can't run MS products on Apple devices but can on Android. Therefore in my eyes BOTH systems have limitations but possibly Android more so. For example I don't need MS products on my iPhone but I do WANT and NEED TomTom and Outlook on my Nexus which I can't have.

Is that really the case? Tom Tom works on all my Android phones and my 10" Asus Tablet. And my phone syncs with Outlook fine. Granted you usually need the phones sync software so with Samsungs you need the evil Kies, with HTC (like mine) you need HTC Sync Manager etc etc..

Just checked TomTom again and your right it is available. Last time I searched Playstore it didn't come up, this time it did.

To sync an iPhone and Outlook there is a first time set up and from then on it's just plug in or connect over wi-fi and the sync s done.

I badly wanted to sync the google calendar in the Nexus with Outlook. From what I read Google stopped supporting this with a programme about three years ago. There is a setting within Google calendars which can be used to add a Google calendar to the iPhone calendar BUT the two are seperate. I'll try to explain.

IOS has default calendar which syncs directly with Outlook. All changes from both directions are updated.

One can add a Google calendar to iOS and when enabled the entries show on the default iPhone calendar BUT they are not actually synced. Imagine iOS as a piece of paper, Google calendar as tracing paper. Both have entries on them. Lay the tracing paper on top and you see both sets of data at once, remove the tracing paper and you can't. If it were a sync the google data would remain and the iOS data also move to the tracing paper.

However you seem surprised so I shall do some more research.

Archived