BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] iOS 7

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really struggling here, first world problem nightmare.

I'm bored to my teeth of my phone, iPhone 5S. Its just... Dull. I've seen the new HTC M.8 and it looks brilliant. I can upgrade now, sell my iphone and get a HTC and be about £400 up from selling my iPhone.

But I've been here before. I did the same with my iPhone 4 - didn't like the lack of revolutionary technology and design on the iPhone 4S and went for the Samsung S3. I HATED the S3. The battery was awful, the phone lacking and overall I was very disappointed. So disappointed infact, that I ended up buying out my contract and getting the iPhone 5.

Can anyone help?!

I've had them all over the years and was pretty late getting to Apple. Love my iPhone 5, android will treat you with apps that have novelty value at first then are seldom used. That HTC1 is just too big and the Samsungs just come across as plasticky and their sales pitch a bit desperate. A pharmacist I spoke to had one that looked enormous. I asked him where a phone stops and a tablet begins, they are the same it's just the size, he said his device was a 'phablet', what a dick.

It's functionality I go for and the iPhone ain't perfect but it's for me.

I get it, you really don't like Apple!

I don't hate their products, I think they are fantastic pieces of kit. I just don't like the inflated price for the badge and the fact they try to act as white as white when clearly they are bad as the next company.

Really struggling here, first world problem nightmare.

I'm bored to my teeth of my phone, iPhone 5S. Its just... Dull. I've seen the new HTC M.8 and it looks brilliant. I can upgrade now, sell my iphone and get a HTC and be about £400 up from selling my iPhone.

But I've been here before. I did the same with my iPhone 4 - didn't like the lack of revolutionary technology and design on the iPhone 4S and went for the Samsung S3. I HATED the S3. The battery was awful, the phone lacking and overall I was very disappointed. So disappointed infact, that I ended up buying out my contract and getting the iPhone 5.

Can anyone help?!

I'm not sure anyone will be able to help as I think you have the same issues I have with phones with getting bored of them. I had the HTC One X which to be fair was a brilliant phone, great screen, average battery life but I convinced myself the WiFi wasn't great and it didn't support 4G so I offloaded it and got the Google Nexus 5. Again great phone, great screen, average battery life, a price you cannot beat hands down the best mobile bang for buck, but 3 months on and it's "just another phone".

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S3 as a work phone and hate it with a passion. Awful interface, Samsung crap getting in the way all the time, looks crap.

Android, Windows or Apple, they all do the same things now at a similar performance level and similar screens. It's just down to individuality really now.

As you say, first world problem.

he said his device was a 'phablet', what a dick.

That's the new world. Apple are meant to be joining the bandwagon soon. I think companies have realised that we actually have started to not use our phones as phone as much. The majority of the time is surfing the web, texting or social media. You don't need the phone at your ear for that. For the few times people who want these "phablets" as a phone, you can use bluetooth or headphones or just look a dick for 10 minutes.

What do you lot do with your phones that makes you get bored of them? They're fundamentally all the same, they do the same things. If you buy a new one, it has exactly the same apps and functions but in a slightly different case. Why does the device itself become boring?

Indeed, I thought that's what I was alluding to. The continual feeling of need to upgrade just leaves you disappointed after a few months when you realise fundamentally that its no better than the last one. Same games, same music app, same texts and calls just a bigger screen and crapper battery.

When my rubbish Blackberry broke recently I had to send it away for repairs, so I used an old Motorola phone that I'd had sitting in a drawer for years because nobody wanted it.

It was actually quite a good experience. No more junk emails popping up all the time, the handset was tiny and lightweight, and by the time I got the replacement Blackberry about a week later I still hadn't needed to recharge the Motorola. One thing Apple definitely pioneered is persuading people that it's normal to be tethered to a wall socket every evening.

It's a device to communicate with in a variety of ways. How could it ever be much more than ordinary?

I think the "boring" thing is simply because we have a become used to walking round with magnificent technology in our pockets. The extraordinary, which it is, has become the ordinary which is pretty dull really.

Quite astonishing when you think about it.

If they invent something, you can't expect for anyone to be allowed to copy it and make money out if it - and vice versa for other companies. Copyrights and parents can be a pain but it is designed to protect innovators.

But patent things like curved edges?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Today people want good value for money. Apple won't back down on price, other manufacturers have picked up on this and are bringing out top class handsets at very low costs.. Apple only have themselves to blame for people looking elsewhere. I can tell you now, it's not just about specs anymore. Some devices won't give you the quality build of an IPhone, but they can give you a quad core device for half the price of an IPhone. People however are brand loyal, so for many price is just small number to pay for getting a premium device. In all honesty, I've had an IPhone, and it was purely to test the waters. I had been an Android guy since the very beginning with various devices. I will never allow myself to get another iPhone again.

I'm currently using an Xperia Z, but my next device is either the Note 4, LG G3 or The HTC M8. Battery life will always suck, it's just the way it's meant to be. I'm a medium to heavy user, and I get about a day of usage on my Z before having to get out the charger. With Facebook, Twitter, instagram, Whatsapp etc, your battery is bound to get smashed.

On my iphone, I have (amongst loads of other stuff):

FaceTime AND Skype

iMessage AND Whatsapp

ITunes AND Googleplay

Maps AND GoogleMaps (and GoogleEarth)

Mail (with includes GMail) AND GMail

Facebook AND Google+

What am I missing?

What am I missing?

You're not missing anything Stuart. It's just the usual anti Apple nonsense coupled with how great other phones are.

They are all just phones that do the most amazing things and pretty much all of them do everything!!

Personally I'm very happy with an iPhone and wouldn't buy an android.

BUT

I have a two Nexus 7 tablets (android). One for work and one personal. While I appreciate the iPad is a lovely bit of kit I think for my purposes android and Nexus is the far superior tablet.

Horses for courses. It's all just simply amazing stuff!

Wouldn't really call it anti Apple nonsense Paul. I'll give you a brief bit of info, and you can understand that people are moving away from Apple.

Couple of years ago, our corporate users at work owned about 80% share of Apple. Today of those 80%, 60% moved over to Android. The other 20% stayed loyal, but are moaning that it wasn't much of an upgrade for them.

I do get what you are saying though, all these phones are brilliant in their own way, and serves a specific purpose.

The reason to choose an Android device over Apple is price. The quality isn't as good in the vast majority of cases but people get over that by slating iPhones.

I'd like to see a comparison of the market share between the top end Android phone and iPhone. I bet the split is much more even or even in Apple's favour.

I've said it before but there are more Android users bad-mouthing Apple than the other way around.

People's mobile phone OS preference is getting as bad as politics.

• Moderation Lead

The reason to choose an Android device over Apple is price. The quality isn't as good in the vast majority of cases but people get over that by slating iPhones.

I'd like to see a comparison of the market share between the top end Android phone and iPhone. I bet the split is much more even or even in Apple's favour.

I've said it before but there are more Android users bad-mouthing Apple than the other way around.

People's mobile phone OS preference is getting as bad as politics.

I wouldn't say the bit in bold is true at all. I've had three iPhones previously, and now have an S4, and I would say there's a lot more flexibility with Android phones rather than iPhones (i.e it has to be ios/iTunes, no dragging and dropping etc.)

I've not bought a phone for years, always been on contract, and the monthly costs are roughly the same for all the top end phones. As I said before, the iPhone hasn't torn up any trees since the iPhone 4. Not that they're bad phones or anything, I do think that they broke a LOT of new ground initially, but they've been overtaken as the best phones IMO (and the opinion of many others).

They do have outstanding brand loyalty as it happens, which is what's keeping them going so strong imo. It's all much of a muchness anyway, phones are that good these days, there's hardly anything that can't be done on them, if only the battery life was better.....

As long as they keep making them thinner and more powerful, battery life is always going to be rubbish.

I've got an iPad Air, and that seems to last for ages between charges - last time I looked it was 13 days standby and about 18 hours usage. But then it's basically just an iPhone with a bigger screen and a massive battery.

Wouldn't really call it anti Apple nonsense Paul. I'll give you a brief bit of info, and you can understand that people are moving away from Apple.

Couple of years ago, our corporate users at work owned about 80% share of Apple. Today of those 80%, 60% moved over to Android. The other 20% stayed loyal, but are moaning that it wasn't much of an upgrade for them.

I do get what you are saying though, all these phones are brilliant in their own way, and serves a specific purpose.

I feel everyone can bring up such examples. At my work place we have 12 mobile users. We are all free to chose our phones and provider. 11 iPhones, 1 Samsung!!

Stuart sums it up very well, Android users love to knock Apple but rarely the other way round. Must be a reason?

Me? I wouldn't chose an Android for fear of being disappointed for 18 months. As I said I have two fantastic Nexus tablets which are far superior to the iPad so I don't have an Android issue.

The lack of sync between Android and MS Outlook though remains a number one reason for me to use an iPhone and is a disappointment in the Nexus. I'd say this is such a failing with Android it would always persuade me to use an Apple phone.

Gotta love these Android users though. I really don't get the constant sniping at Apple. It's like people who feel there are better platforms than Windows. There may well be but that ignores how MS has opened up computing to millions who don't have detailed knowledge and just want "out of the box" stuff.

Stuart sums it up very well, Android users love to knock Apple but rarely the other way round. Must be a reason?

The lack of sync between Android and MS Outlook though remains a number one reason for me to use an iPhone and is a disappointment in the Nexus. I'd say this is such a failing with Android it would always persuade me to use an Apple phone.

Come on Paul, you have a wider knowledge of the world than that. There are TONS of anti-android rhetoric around the web. Forbes has even done an article on it. The simple fact of life is, there are sniping fan-boys on both sides. Same with Playstation vs Xbox, it was the same with HD-DVD vs bluray, same with Windows vs Linux vs OS X. Both sides of every one of those arguments have users that can be as vile as each other. It's nonsense like "Apple users never argue", "They are better devices", "Better quality devices", "Easier to Use" that stir up the hate as its just plainly nonsense with no evidence to back it up. It's just posturing.

On the second point I've quoted, I still don't see where you have an issue. When you say Outlook, do you actually mean MS Exchange? (Outlook is only a client not a server). If so, my Android devices happily sync to our Exchange server. Just open the mail app, add a new account, enter the email address and password and the next screen asks if it is pop, imap or exchange. If the mail server has auto-discovery settings then simply hitting next sets everything up. Couldn't be easier.

Don't know about that biddy. Maybe on some geek niche website they may do that but in my experience, I only hear 'droids dissin' iOS.

Just this week I've had about 100 posts on my Facebook page from bitter Android users.

Oh wait. They were all from Isgak. :)

Happy birthday, buddy! ;)

Don't know about that biddy. Maybe on some geek niche website they may do that but in my experience, I only hear 'droids dissin' iOS.

Just this week I've had about 100 posts on my Facebook page from bitter Android users.

Just Google Android hate. Not tricky to find LOTS of apple fan boys. But you believe what you want its fine.

Lol Thanks Stu!!

I feel everyone can bring up such examples. At my work place we have 12 mobile users. We are all free to chose our phones and provider. 11 iPhones, 1 Samsung!!

Me? I wouldn't chose an Android for fear of being disappointed for 18 months. As I said I have two fantastic Nexus tablets which are far superior to the iPad so I don't have an Android issue.

Gotta love these Android users though. I really don't get the constant sniping at Apple. It's like people who feel there are better platforms than Windows. There may well be but that ignores how MS has opened up computing to millions who don't have detailed knowledge and just want "out of the box" stuff.

Um lack of sync between outlook and android? Can you explain Paul? Ive not had any issues with syncing any exchange account, unless you are referring to syncing outlook across multiple devices?

Archived