BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New iphone 5s

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic phone pal, I had mine for nearly three years but the 5s is so much better. I found that ios7 was quite slow on the 4 as well.

Incidentally I am selling my iphone 4 32 gb as new boxed with case if anyone wishes to make me an offer!

• 3 weeks later...

Wife qualified for an upgrade from her iPhone 4, but she was happy to keep it and give me the new one, cost about £70 (4s would have been free, 5c about £40). So far, had it about a week and I'm very impressed, especially with download speeds, although there are a few small niggles. The new shape power socket/USB connector doesn't fit into my stereo dock (so at least my old iPod still has a use), and the socket for the headphones has moved back to the bottom side of the phone. I also seem to be killing the battery, but that's more down to my habits than anything else.

• Backroom

I wonder why they moved the headphone socket to the bottom of the phone?

It's how people 'naturally' put the phone in their pocket, so the bottom end (headphone socket) is at the opening of the pocket and, therefore, less awkward.

Looks decent, but for me they're just relying on brand loyalty. Thing is with iPhones, the apps are excellent, but being railroaded into using iTunes is just a massive ball ache.

After 3 iPhones, I just upgraded to a Galaxy S4 and to be honest it's fantastic, could definitely recommend.

Pretty much sums up my view on the iPhone as well. I have been on Android since the release of Cupcake, then I gave the iPhone 4 and 4s a go. Had both for a few months and went back to DROID. Imo, and an honest one at that, Apple are just relying on those people whose mind they have brain washed with the promise of great things from their devices. It's nothing more than part of a fashion statement for some. Let me just say this again, Apple products don't Just work, there is no such thing. They have many flaws, beautiful devices, but there are better performing handsets, with better specs and at a lot cheaper as well.

Sent from my Sony Xperia T

• Backroom

Say what Mike? People put their phones upside down in their pocket? LolSent from my Sony Xperia T

Well I do :$ that way it's already set up to look at in my hand rather than having to swivel it :P

Sent from my polystyrene cup and string.

• Backroom

Do this, put phone in pocket with the screen facing towards your leg if in pants pocket, put hand in pocket, then take the phone out without having to swivel lol. You English folk are strange lol ;-)

I do :P I mean that if I hold my phone in my hand, I inevitably put it in my pocket 'head first'. So a headphone jack on the bottom is good for me :D

Lol oh okay fair enough Mike lol. Anyway, I just don't understand the hype around iPhone anymore. Maybe as an android fan boy, and having had an iPhone for a while, I must say that I will probably never try it out again. Too restricted and locked down for my liking.

I have an Android tablet which I chose ahead of an iPad so I'm not an Apple junkie.

Just what is it you can do with an Android phone which iPhone can't? It needs to be a bit more than it can be "rooted" etc.

Simple matter is the majority of modern smart phones are incredible. I very much doubt there is even ONE function Android has ahead of iOS.

Why do I stick with an iPhone?

Syncs accurately with Outlook. Android doesn't.

Syncs music simply.

It works all the time

After that I'm done!!

I can name one function Paul, and that's a simple drag and drop of files especially music files. You might say how is that important, well it is to me. I'm not sure how somebody can work with iTunes, it's just a crap way of transferring files.

I can't plug my iPhone in another pc, without taking that persons entire music library with me. I'm not exactly sure what you mean, when you say Android doesn't sync well with Outlook. I've not had any problems doing that, in terms of setup and usage.

Again, as you have an Android device, there are loads of other things which iPhone just doesn't do. Eg, while it may not be important again to some, widgets are pretty cool to have on some apps, Eg like Flip Board where I can glance at articles without having to go into the app. The other nice thing with Android is, that I can have 2 or 3 different browsers, and I can choose any of those browsers to open up links. On iPhone, I'm forced to use the native Safari browser which is crap.

Music players, I can categorically say, that again, I can choose from various different music player apps to play my music through. One of those music apps is an app called Noozy. It's a fantastic app, and the sound quality is fantastic. Another app let's me download mp3 songs straight from the app, without having to go via a website. It's called simple mp3 downloader.

Changing the UI of my home screen, again, not a major thing, but with android being flexible, I can make my home screen look like an iPhone or windows 8 or any other theme.

With NFC around these days, blue tooth is not so important, but again, I can blue tooth to any device and one which iPhone cannot do.

To summarise, I named more than one thing, which an Android can do, which the iPhone and iOS can't

OK lets examine this:

I can name one function Paul, and that's a simple drag and drop of files especially music files. You might say how is that important, well it is to me. I'm not sure how somebody can work with iTunes, it's just a crap way of transferring files.

iTunes does drag and drop. What is so difficult about plugging in an iPhone and selecting sync? Android does something other than transfer files? Surely any movement of a file is a file transfer.

I can't plug my iPhone in another pc, without taking that persons entire music library with me. I'm not exactly sure what you mean, when you say

Yes you can. Just don't select sync. Easy

Android doesn't sync well with Outlook. I've not had any problems doing that, in terms of setup and usage.

Sorry as a stand alone user it doesn't, for MSE users I believe it does. If you can show me how to do it as a stand alone I will be delighted as I can then sync my Nexus to Outlook. I do mean direct sync, there are methods I know of but not to my knowledge a direct, automatic sync.

Again, as you have an Android device, there are loads of other things which iPhone just doesn't do. Eg, while it may not be important again to some, widgets are pretty cool to have on some apps, Eg like Flip Board where I can glance at articles without having to go into the app.

I rarely use widgets so I'm not really up to speed with those but assuming Flipboard allows you to read magazines etc. the same is true of Apple's Newsstand

The other nice thing with Android is, that I can have 2 or 3 different browsers, and I can choose any of those browsers to open up links. On iPhone, I'm forced to use the native Safari browser which is crap.

Got four browsers on my iPhone - Safari, Chrome, Opera, Dolphin - all work fine

Music players, I can categorically say, that again, I can choose from various different music player apps to play my music through. One of those music apps is an app called Noozy. It's a fantastic app, and the sound quality is fantastic. Another app let's me download mp3 songs straight from the app, without having to go via a website. It's called simple mp3 downloader.

I don't really understand what you are talking about here. At some point you must have downloaded a track regardless of where you play it from. As for music players well Noozy means nothing to me. A quick scan of the Appstore shows 2016 results for music players - I expect there's a decent one amongst those. Surely the quality of the music played is a function of the equipment used and not the software?

Changing the UI of my home screen, again, not a major thing, but with android being flexible, I can make my home screen look like an iPhone or windows 8 or any other theme

I've no idea what a UI is - unique identity? - but I've never had a problem changing a screen on an iPhone

With NFC around these days, blue tooth is not so important, but again, I can blue tooth to any device and one which iPhone cannot do.

NFC yes I'll give you that but then NFC is hardly of any real value to anyone at present. Bluetooth - my iPhone connects every time to the car, my Nexus, my wife's phone, both laptops

So as i said all smartphones do the same job, it's just Android people are a bit touchy about it all :)

Not touchy Btw, but what I meant by browsers is that the iPhone doesn't allow one to open a link in a browser of my choice. Eg if I want the link to open in Chrome, I would expect it to do just that, not force me to use Safari.

By the way UI is user interface :)

Also the whole idea behind iTunes is to sync your music to your device right. Now, that would require me to have every pc loaded with iTunes where ever I go, whilst on Android it's different, plug phone in, use mass storage mode and drag and drop. I don't need an application to assist me in getting files on my phone.

Your thinking is typical of those who use an Apple device, you are saying that you only need it for certain tasks, and that it works well for those tasks. Fair enough, but I will say though, that Apple products don't Just work. We know about various issues pertaining to Apple products, including buggy software and hardware problems.

Never the less Paul, each to their own I suppose. :)

Btw, just download Touchdown, it's a wonderful email client for Android in terms of MSE..

iTunes is pretty guff though Paul, the iphone is a decent bit of kit tbf!

I honestly don't see why. I have music from iTunes, the original Napster which incidentally was stored for years on an old Iomega system, CDs and 50 year old digitally converted vinyl on my iPhone. They all work. Only issue I have and I must get the answer is a few tracks purchased via iTunes won't play.

iTunes plays through the car system, I walk 20 feet into the house and it picks up Sonos and carries on though I do have to be careful not to connect to the speaker my wife is using to listen to The Archers - via iPhone. Seems very clever to me.

If I'm missing something I'd love to know as I could decide to use it or not.

I'm not trying to be clever or dismissive over this. In real life I know two people who use Android devices, the rest are iPhone or iPad users. All I hear people say is how clever this stuff is - whatever the OS, never a complaint about not being able to open a link in a particular browser!!

The key to me is this. I'm of a generation which didn't receive a computing education. I have a school friend who went to college to become a programmer and this was considered extraordinary. Despite zero education I'm able to do the most amazing stuff, things I couldn't have conceived - like this discussion - are everyday events. So for me and I guess millions of others IT is just great and works without much fuss.

Not trying to question your satisfaction with Apple Paul, just I'm one of those who still cannot understand why people are still in love with it. Everybody says it's great when it comes to syncing with different devices, but apart from that, I can't think of anything else it can do that sets it apart from cheaper, spec filled handsets.

Eg, the 5c will cost me around 850 to 900 pounds, well 9000 rand. This device is supposedly the affordable iPhone. For less, I can get the Nexus 5 or the Samsung S4, and will probably get the S5 at the same price as the 5c. It's these sort of things, which will one day drive Apple into the ground, as people will become wiser I think, as to paying more than what they should for a smart phone. I know I took it off our discussion, but I needed to highlight that.

All I hear people say is how clever this stuff is - whatever the OS, never a complaint about not being able to open a link in a particular browser!!

You did ask what is there that an iPhone can't do, that an Android can. I merely pointed out, that, if I had Chrome and Dolphin, when I click on a link, I get the option to choose which browser I want to open that page in. Simple as that

Paul, how do you connect to Sonos and carry on streaming where you left off in the car?

Ah just read that again Stuart. I didn't mean it carried on playing the same track though I realise that's how it can be read. What I meant was one minute the car Bluetooth is using iTunes, the next it's a wireless stream on Sonos. When I get in my wife is often using the dining room speaker so I select an upstairs one while I'm putting my work stuff away.

Sorry - no magic!

CTR I think you miss the point. People have no real interest in spec filled devices because as with most technology the majority are either blissfully unaware or unable to scratch the surface. I have a Nexus 7. Why did I buy it? Because I was 100% certain it would run a very basic spreadsheet - absolutely no other reason. If iPad or the Galaxy provided the same certainty I would have chosen one of those as both in my eyes are superior and I probably would have got a Galaxy. For entertainment they are great but for work it's the Nexus.

These things can run Sugar Plum Fairy to the moon and back for all I care. Apple make some nice stuff, so do Samsung etc. I note my 21 year old, web design graduate son ditched his Samsung for an iPhone. Not sure what that says, his Xperia was pretty crappy though.

As for price yes very expensive but I get mine on a £30 all in contract with unlimited calls, texts and so much data I've only gone over limit once. So it isn't an issue. I'd never buy one while the phone company gives it to me - and I know it's in the monthly price.

These are just very clever devices which do amazing stuff. The OS is an irrelevance.

Ah just read that again Stuart. I didn't mean it carried on playing the same track though I realise that's how it can be read. What I meant was one minute the car Bluetooth is using iTunes, the next it's a wireless stream on Sonos. When I get in my wife is often using the dining room speaker so I select an upstairs one while I'm putting my work stuff away.

Sorry - no magic!

:) ta. I was really impressed then for a second!

• Moderation Lead

I've got a kind of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' attitude regarding iTunes. Drag and drop is fine, and worked for years- why do Apple have to mess with it?

It also takes ages to load up (though granted, I do have around 90gb of music....)

I've had 3 iPhones, so it's not like I haven't tried- and I feel their selection of apps is better than Android's, though the gap is closing. Android phones are more customisable, and you're not railroaded into doing it their way!

Archived