BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2013/2014 (and Europa league!)

Even though I don't watch much Champions Leauge until after Christmas I'll add this topic now as I saw a few games this week due to the first group stage kicking off.

All English teams won aside from Chelsea who were beaten at home by Basel.

Barcelona thrashed Ajax 4-0. One item I found mildly interesting about this game was that it was the first time that the 2 teams have ever met in a competitive fixture. Barca's front 3 were Neymar, Messi, and Alexis Sanchez, who are all about 2 feet 2 tall. Would they have made it if they grew up in England?

I have no idea who will win it, but am looking forward to some decent football come the knockout stages.

Was this the year that Rovers were supposed to qualify? Or is it next?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time Barca and Ajax played each other? Would never have guessed that.

And Messi etc would have made it in England just like Zola and David Silva did. Messi in particular is deceptively strong and small players have a lower centre of gravity which makes it harder to push them off the ball.

The Arsenal, Napoli and Dortmund group is gonna be really interesting.

And Messi etc would have made it in England just like Zola and David Silva did. Messi in particular is deceptively strong and small players have a lower centre of gravity which makes it harder to push them off the ball.

I think he was meaning if he was a kid in England, would he have made it through the system. Probably not.

Anyway I am feeling well jealous tonight that Wigan 'fans' are off on a European adventure in UEFA Cup :(

• 2 weeks later...

We brought up Atletico, they won what is now the Europa League, I can't believe I already forgot the former name, UEFA Cup?? Correct?

-----------

Bumping this thread up.

-----------

Interesting events in the big smoke, speaking of Millwall, why'd those Napoli Ultras have a Millwall flag??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2440594/Napoli-fans-person-hospital-rampage-Piebury-Corner-restaurant-Arsenal-clash.html

I know a young man in Italy, he seems to indicate that though it's a nice place, there's a lot of gangs there. These guys in the Daily Mail story certainly look menacing, it goes around but they look rough.

Watched 5 minutes of Man City v Bayern then turned over to Corrie.

Guardiola's teams and the Champions League in general are just an interminable bore.

Disagree entirely, this Bayern team is very watchable, especially compared to Guardiola's Barca.

Watched 5 minutes of Man City v Bayern then turned over to Corrie.

Guardiola's teams and the Champions League in general are just an interminable bore.

I agree with you completely about the group stages of the Champions League in general but I find Bayern and Barcelona before them under Guardiola a joy to watch.

2-0 to Bayern now they're making City look very poor indeed.

Edit: Make that 3! Absolute garbage from Hart yet again ( beaten on his near post this time)

Conversely I thought Fraser Forster was outstanding last night for Celtic.

Milner on now, Bayern must be getting nervous, This feels a different team from Barca, with the ball that is. Still that same 'hunting the ball down' mentality when they lose it. Going forward they are an absolute joy to watch. Couldn't watch Barca for too long without getting bored very quickly. Wonder if they can keep it up. If they do it probably wont be for longer than a couple of seasons before it high intensity catches up with the players.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the Dortmund fans at the Arse tonight - big fan of bringing terracing back like they have. Grew up on the BE, and it doesn't half create an atmosphere. The noise they make is awesome.....safe terracing is available, haven't they got the largest terrace in the world? Good game btw

Yea the Kop at Dortmund holds 25,000. I went to see Dortmund a couple of years ago (predictably in the only home game they didn't win all season) and it is just an amazing thing to see. Those who stand in the middle must get there very early!!

It's a bit remarkable that a week ago, Lewandowski and Poland were held in check by the England team and here a week later, Lewandowski scores for Borussia Dortmund to win. Poland did have a few nice opportunities, one in particular.

It's a bit remarkable that a week ago, Lewandowski and Poland were held in check by the England team and here a week later, Lewandowski scores for Borussia Dortmund to win. Poland did have a few nice opportunities, one in particular.

He plays with much better players at Dortmund, that's why.

But yes, even a weak Poland side could've notched a couple against Ingurlund.

It's just what the top English clubs like to do. Hoover up all the talent so their rivals don't get them. Smalling I quite like and would have come on leaps and bounds in a partnership next to Hangeland. But instead the two of them are in and out the team and are mostly played at right back anyway.

Stuff like that needs to change if England want to get anywhere internationally.

But yea, they should have loaned him back. Actually Jones should have gone somewhere like Liverpool where he'd play a lot more. Then again he won the league last year so I doubt he regrets it much.

It's just what the top English clubs like to do. Hoover up all the talent so their rivals don't get them. Smalling I quite like and would have come on leaps and bounds in a partnership next to Hangeland. But instead the two of them are in and out the team and are mostly played at right back anyway.

Stuff like that needs to change if England want to get anywhere internationally.

But yea, they should have loaned him back. Actually Jones should have gone somewhere like Liverpool where he'd play a lot more. Then again he won the league last year so I doubt he regrets it much.

Collaborator!!!

Archived