BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RANT

this is one issue which I follow

http://www.bhwt.org.uk/cms/

http://luckyhensrescuenorthwest.weebly.com/about-us--donations.html ive had a few from them and theyre now very healthy and still laying great after a year of freedom.

A fine thing to do and very 'green' . I've a few hens myself. Instead of clogging up landfill most waste household food and scraps will be eaten by hens and who will reward you with eggs.

However I dunno where you get the hens from cos battery hens were banned in this country over 2 years ago and most laying hens are only kept for 1 year before their prodn becomes uneconomic. Hope you haven't been conned.

To be fair the big supermarkets give you the choice of paying a little more for free range eggs, which I always choose. I must admit that it does bother me how "free", free range means. However I do my best.

To be COMPLETELY fair to big supermarkets thats crap. Free range is just another route to profit for the supermarkets who like to be 'seen' to be doing the right thing and 'market' those nice humane free range mudbath produced eggs at extortionate prices. I'd be far more impressed too if now that British egg production has been economically disadvantaged by the banning of battery cages if those supermarkets banned pre-prepared and convenience foods which have been produced using imported eggs and produce from countries which still cage birds. But it's another nice little route to profit for them isn't it?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a very large portion of consumers do try the best to buy products that are more humanely produced, but still there's also an awful lot of people that are either completely oblivious to these issues or others that simply couldn't care less and will just grab whichevers cheapest(even if the difference is only pennys!) I think there should be less choice and all animal products should meet the same high ethical standards or they shouldn't be sold, also produce like eggs that are readily available all over this country should never be imported from overseas.

and also as you say "free range" in many cases still doesn't mean the chickens are in ideal conditions(just slightly less bad)

Does that include slaughter?

Very good question Yoda. It's obvious to me it should if not MUST do, but as we all know there are many who will condone suffering.

Another question TJ. Once those hens of yours knock off laying as all hens do, do they go 'in the pot'? If not how do you dispose of them?

Since this is the rant area, here's mine;

Being banned for throway comments made. I could site a hundred examples of other posters saying "are you on drugs" yet my insinuation (which didn't even name the accused) is not allowed? What happened about the last 3 times I said it? Not expecting a reason but since this a rant thread here it is.

A fine thing to do and very 'green' . I've a few hens myself. Instead of clogging up landfill most waste household food and scraps will be eaten by hens and who will reward you with eggs.

However I dunno where you get the hens from cos battery hens were banned in this country over 2 years ago and most laying hens are only kept for 1 year before their prodn becomes uneconomic. Hope you haven't been conned.

To be COMPLETELY fair to big supermarkets thats crap. Free range is just another route to profit for the supermarkets who like to be 'seen' to be doing the right thing and 'market' those nice humane free range mudbath produced eggs at extortionate prices. I'd be far more impressed too if now that British egg production has been economically disadvantaged by the banning of battery cages if those supermarkets banned pre-prepared and convenience foods which have been produced using imported eggs and produce from countries which still cage birds. But it's another nice little route to profit for them isn't it?

ex-batt is used as more of a term for ex commercial hens(mainly from the enriched cages system) than literally meaning ex battery hens, the hens are like you said usually approx 12-18 months old and past their prime('spent' in a commercial terms) some(but only a relatively tiny minority) get saved and rehomed by non profit charities like 'lucky hens', ive had a few for over a year now and they haven't stopped laying once or even gone broody, not bad for hen that only cost a £4 pound donation to the rescue charity.

when they do stop laying they can see out their days mooching around my garden and keeping the younger hens in check until they pop their clogs, ex commercial hens don't normally live longer than about 3 years because of all the strain and stress their bodies are put through in their commercial hen year/s,

if I did have to kill one(for whatever reason) Id either chop its head off with an axe or wrench/dislocate its neck, though one of the most common and humane methods is to slit their throat('the cone method')

ex-batt is used as more of a term for ex commercial hens(mainly from the enriched cages system) than literally meaning ex battery hens, the hens are like you said usually approx 12-18 months old and past their prime('spent' in a commercial terms) some(but only a relatively tiny minority) get saved and rehomed by non profit charities like 'lucky hens', ive had a few for over a year now and they haven't stopped laying once or even gone broody, not bad for hen that only cost a £4 pound donation to the rescue charity.

when they do stop laying they can see out their days mooching around my garden and keeping the younger hens in check until they pop their clogs, ex commercial hens don't normally live longer than about 3 years because of all the strain and stress their bodies are put through in their commercial hen year/s,

if I did have to kill one(for whatever reason) Id either chop its head off with an axe or wrench/dislocate its neck, though one of the most common and humane methods is to slit their throat('the cone method')

Decapitation rather than slitting would be the best given a lack of stunning facilities.

Just as an aside my hens still provide an egg every other day and they must be 4-5 years old! One of em has turned into an egg breaker though (don't know which one) and another is laying away in one of my outbuildings.

Decapitation rather than slitting would be the best given a lack of stunning facilities.Just as an aside my hens still provide an egg every other day and they must be 4-5 years old! One of em has turned into an egg breaker though (don't know which one) and another is laying away in one of my outbuildings.

Whats an "egg breaker" Theno?

Decapitation rather than slitting would be the best given a lack of stunning facilities.

Just as an aside my hens still provide an egg every other day and they must be 4-5 years old! One of em has turned into an egg breaker though (don't know which one) and another is laying away in one of my outbuildings.

Is the advice to get rid when they get to three years of age.

6 moths ago i also got 2 POL hens(1 speckledy and 1 big fat silver sussex) that are just under a year old, if they stay healthy they should live a long time and lay into old age like yours,

the only time i've had hens lay outside of their coop was last summer and it was most likely because effin red mites had infested the coop without me realising as I was a total hen keeping newbie at the time(this is wayt I was asking about proper creosote the other week, as its supposed to be the only sure fire way to destroy red mite)

as for stunning hens before slitting their throats, from what i've read stunning shouldn't be necessary if the 'cone method' is done properly, but the method does seem like it would take a bit of skill and experience to carry out safely, I think this is the way many smallholders dispose of their unwanted cockerels (and from what I gather most halal slaughter men are very skilled at what they do, but I really don't want to get into a tedious halal discussion)

Is the advice to get rid when they get to three years of age.

many backyard hen keepers and smallholders that keep hens solely for their eggs(which they sell) will just kill them as soon as they stop laying efficiently and many just get rid of them as standard practise when they are around 2/3 years old as this is when a lot of hens start to slow down a bit with laying or the quality/appearance of the eggs starts to vary(you get some right weird looking eggs that are perfect on the inside but the shells are odd looking and sometmes more brittle)

Smelly people in the queue in front of me at say the supermarket make me sick.

I had one at the lottery checkout at Sainsburys at Bamber Bridge this morning. He got a wee bit angry when I said to the counter girl "what a stench of pi$$ that guy gave off".

Why can't people wear pads and wash their undies and jeans?

many backyard hen keepers and smallholders that keep hens solely for their eggs(which they sell) will just kill them as soon as they stop laying efficiently and many just get rid of them as standard practise when they are around 2/3 years old as this is when a lot of hens start to slow down a bit with laying or the quality/appearance of the eggs starts to vary(you get some right weird looking eggs that are perfect on the inside but the shells are odd looking and sometmes more brittle)

It's a natural thing but often avoided if you offer oyster shell in a feeder in the cabin. Producing a shell every day requires a plentiful supply of calcium.

Red mite ... I think you should try Jeyes fluid. Best done with a strong solution but you really need to evacuate the hens or provide masses of ventilation. You can get louse powder to put in the nesting boxes throughout the summer too. Any lice on the hens will be exposed to the treatment and perish when they go to lay.

I meant the Lottery Counter.

Never stood at one of them either.

I had one at the lottery checkout at Sainsburys at Bamber Bridge this morning. He got a wee bit angry when I said to the counter girl "what a stench of pi$$ that guy gave off".

maybe the person had a medical condition of some kind

It's a natural thing but often avoided if you offer oyster shell in a feeder in the cabin. Producing a shell every day requires a plentiful supply of calcium.

Red mite ... I think you should try Jeyes fluid. Best done with a strong solution but you really need to evacuate the hens or provide masses of ventilation. You can get louse powder to put in the nesting boxes throughout the summer too. Any lice on the hens will be exposed to the treatment and perish when they go to lay.

Never stood at one of them either.

yea they always have acces to a tub of grit + they get plenty of natural grit from pecking around in the garden,

I think im well on top of the redmites now, i have tons of DE that i bought very cheap of ebay and i also spray the coop regularly with a strong solution of smite, ive hreard putting cat flea drops on them helps for keeping the mites off the hens, not tried it though.

Guest Norbert

Too much Ketamine at parties perhaps?

Archived