BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipswich Town vs. BRFC (Off. match preview)

Daremz

Ipswich Town vs. Blackburn Rovers

Championship

Tuesday, December 3rd 2013, 7.45 PM - Portman Road, Ipswich.

ipswich-town.jpgVS blackburn-rovers-fc-logo-nc-thumb.jpg

For this preview I had the pleasure of a having a brief interview with Tom van Hulsen, Editor in Chief the biggest Dutcht football magazine,

'Voetbal International'. Not only is he a big lover of everything that has to do with English Football, writing several books in the process, he is also known for being a big Ipswich Town fan. As I won one of his books earlier this year and told him about my passion for BRFC, he was more than willing to have a brief pre-game chat with me about the Tuesday-night kick-off at Portman Road.

Q1. Being Dutch in combination with supporting a smaller English team automatically means that you have answered the 'FGS, why?!'-question, many, many times. Can you give us a recap of your story being an Ipswich fan?

It all started from the moment the two famous Dutch players Arnold Mühren & Frans Thijssen moved from FC Twente Enschede to Ipswich Town at the end of the seventies. Every saturday-afternoon I was listening to BBC Radio with my headphones. The love for the club stayed, also when the two Dutchies moved on, and even grew bigger over the years.

Q2. What's the first thing that comes to mind when I say 'Blackburn Rovers'?

To be honest, at this moment that is Jordan Rhodes. I'm still angry with Roy Keane sending him away at Ipswich a few years ago. It would have been a perfect striker for Ipswich at this moment.

Q3. In your history of being a football-journalist and travelling to England on many occassions, did you ever had the joy of watching Rovers and if so, where/when?

I'm really sorry, but I've never saw them live. Two years ago I had my trip to Ewood planned, when the match was re-scheduled. As my plane-ticket was already booked, I then visited a Liverpool match.

Q4. How is your club currently ranked and what are your expectations for this season?

Mid-table, and looking back at the last years, that gives the Ipswich-fans hope and joy. I expect Ipswich to chase for a play-off spot until April, but in the end, they'll just miss out on one and finish somewhere between 7th and 11th.

Q5. What's the quality of the current Ipswich side?

That has to be Mick McCarthy. A no-nonsense type of coach, who fits Ipswich very well. The players are willing to work their socks off for him, and that's what we need. Besides Mick, David McGoldrick is a very important player; someone who is invisible for 85 minutes and then all of a sudden pops up and scores that vital goal.

Q6. It's December 3rd, 22.35 (Dutch time) and you're checking the last tweet posted by @Official_ITFC. How does that Tweet look like?

"FT Ipswich 1 Blackburn 0 - Town grabs three points, first minute goal McGoldrick decisive"

Recent home & away form:

Ipswich @ home: Loss (Leicester), Draw (Barnsley), Loss (Burnley), Win (Brighton), Win (Yeovil)

Rovers on the road: Loss (Brighton), Draw (Blackpool), Loss (Wigan), Win (Bournemouth), Loss (Leicester)

Same fixture last season...

Rovers played their season-opener at Portman Road at August 18th, 2012. Overall, Ipswich was probably the stronger of the two sides but

Rovers took the lead after 21 minutes when Colin Kazim-Richards headed home. The lead lasted until the 83rd minute, when Jason Lowe (who said he scored his first goal vs. Boro?!) converted a Jason Scotland cross into his own net for a 1-1 draw.

Did you know:

• Out of our starting 11 that day, only Scott Dann and Jason Lowe are probable to feature in the upcoming fixture

A bould guy, featuring in the American hit-series 'Under the Dome' & 'Breaking Bad' was our manager that moment. A quote from him on that particular day: "We feel we've got a really good, competitive squad and that we're good enough to bounce back at the first attempt. This is the first point on the board at a difficult venue, so I've got to be pleased. Ipswich are well organised and not too many teams will come here and get three points."

For your information: in their next 6 home games, Ipswich Town collected 1 point. To put it in another way, 5 out of 6 teams 'came there and got three points'. Oh, the lunacy...

Prediction:

As every preview should end with a prediction, I'll give it a go. As my history of visiting Rovers matches is not really good (visited 10, L7, D2, W1),

which more or less matches our current (away) form, I'll go for a draw. As I only have the joy to see 4 Rovers-goals in all my England-trips, I hope for a score-draw. So, therefor, 2-2 after being 2-0 down would do for me.

b5c9ccd81a4c07f8140969a84d0b50f7.jpg

See y'all this Tuesday at Portman Road!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of us are supposed to be at Portman Road this Tuesday?

320 at Leicester for a midweek game was the lowest of the season so far. We do have a decent southern fanbase so might eclipse that number but not sure.

• Backroom

I'd be surprised to see many more than 300. Having done the reverse journey to Ewood many times it's a bloody long journey and even more so on a freezing December midweek night. I do think it'll be a good battle though so I'm looking forward to the match.

I hope that we can start using our big squad to our advantage as the fixtures pile-up. I can't think of many outfield positions where we haven't got competition for places.

Starting line-ups get tricky for supporters to predict because it will depend on how players like Dunn recover from the game before.

I think everyone is hoping Williamson doesn't come back in with Cairney being pushed out wide. In my opinion Williamson should be cover for Lowe - the team suffers if they both play because neither of them have the creativity of Cairney.

I hope that we can start using our big squad to our advantage as the fixtures pile-up. I can't think of many outfield positions where we haven't got competition for places.

Just having numbers doesn't automatically equate to competition. Many of our understudies shouldn't be anywhere near a mid table championship first XI

Just having numbers doesn't automatically equate to competition. Many of our understudies shouldn't be anywhere near a mid table championship first XI

Absolutely to an extent, but we do have a number of alternatives. Taylor used on Sat and shined after so-so performances, Dunny & Rochina back. I believe Cairney is best used left centre midfield, Williamson an alternative to Lowe (though don't play best together), DJ/Gestede up front. Would like to see Robbo back to challenge Jake, Kilgallon at CB......Longsiders stated their main midfielder out, no backup. Lot of dross bought along the Pune Way, but enough to mix it up a bit? And money aplenty in the Jan window! Bling has promised his entire Jag fund to boost the squad!

I would rest Dunn and he not going to be able to play 2 games in 4 games.

Its who replace Dunn? Maybe Williamson in centre mid with Cairney in number 10 role.

maybe play Marshall Right, King left and keep Lowe, Cairney and Taylor in centre mid. that's the way I would go tbh.

I would play Rhodes aswell but have Gestede and DJ on Bench.

so my team would be:- Kean; Kane, Dann, Hanley, Spurr; Lowe, Cairney, Taylor; Marshall, Rhodes, King.

subs:- Eastwood, Kilgallon, Henley, Williamson, DJ, Gestede, Rochina.

would be very happy with a point here.

And for me, that would be Gestede. If nothing else he would hold the ball up - and take some pressure off the defence.

Would also allow us to be direct with frequency and (hopefully) success. The sort of style that would suit an away team like ourselves as the home generally wins possession. Rhodes has support and the rest of the team can stay deeper and still get involved. You might be onto something.

away (mainly) 442 with whomever alongside Rhodes

Home (mainly) 4231 with Dunn in the hole

Would also allow us to be direct with frequency and (hopefully) success. The sort of style that would suit an away team like ourselves as the home generally wins possession. Rhodes has support and the rest of the team can stay deeper and still get involved. You might be onto something.

away (mainly) 442 with whomever alongside Rhodes

Home (mainly) 4231 with Dunn in the hole

Totally in agreement - and in both situations we have players like Rochina and DJ to bring on if it isnt working. TBH - we now have a well balanced squad providing plenty of options to Bowyer. If we are to get into the play offs - we need a few of those players to kick on and develop - in the same way Duff, Jansen and Dunn did the last time we were in the Championship - I actually think we have the players, but they need to translate potential into consistent performances.

Totally in agreement - and in both situations we have players like Rochina and DJ to bring on if it isnt working. TBH - we now have a well balanced squad providing plenty of options to Bowyer. If we are to get into the play offs - we need a few of those players to kick on and develop - in the same way Duff, Jansen and Dunn did the last time we were in the Championship - I actually think we have the players, but they need to translate potential into consistent performances.

One of the reasons I like Rochina is he can play both those roles to a decent level. I think the main factor between the two would be souness and that's not me calling for GB's head but souness was akin to a player in his prime and GB a lowe or hanley. I would like to think GB can do it and develop himself to get more out of the players, I guess we'll find out.

I'm not so sure we are that balanced presently, no real left winger, CM would appear to rely on a player we lose soon and GK has issues (imagine kean getting injured?). For me if the play-offs are to be realised some money will need to be spent and that will depend on how we do this next month results wise. 2-3 points away and surely on his next trip GB can spin the retards (can I call them that?) into backing him a bit. 7-9 or so and I don't see them doing it if honest and who knows what they may do if we are truly aiming for promotion.

Twice already this year we have had a chance to move into playoff 'contention' following promising home victories. At Wigan and at Brighton we have blown that opportunity. Tonight we have another. If we win tonight, I would class Saturday as a free hit at QPR. However failing to win one of our next two games would see us lose serious ground on 6th, especially with how tight the middle of the league is and how many other teams are in the same situation.

I think another factor making the next few games important is the January transfer window looming.

If we can get into a strong position in the League for the start of the window, then I think we will have more chance hanging on to the likes of Rhodes and hopefully we can focus on shifting Best and co.

Bit nervous about the next 2 games. But then I am usually nervous about Rovers - especially when they have built my hope through a decent result and performance!

Archived