BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ruben Rochina

Tom

Should we have kept him?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. Simple question, simple answers - should we have kept Ruben?

• Yes
    • No

• Backroom

Self explanatory

There's been a lot of debate on twitter today and on here so let's have a quick straw poll.

In your opinion should we have kept hold of Ruben Rochina?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not as simple as yes or no.

I would have said 'yes' as he has the ability to change a game. However, he needs to be given time in an attacking role, possibly to develop an understanding with Rhodes. He will get neither under Bowyer though.

Some will say that Bowyer doesn't play him because he hasn't shown enough consistency (or whatever) but when we always set up to defend, he is never going to get that.

From a financial point of view, if our manager will not accommodate him, then he simply has to be removed (or reduced) from the wage bill. Everyone one we have in the squad needs to be earning their coin.

Right now, I can take or leave the Rochina debate to be honest. What we need is an experienced goalkeeper on loan.

• Backroom

I went for no. Too flashy without an end product imo. I'd rather see a Dunn/Taylor/Marshall/Cairney/Evans run from midfield because you know that they'll likely pass before the dead end.

Rochina couldn't manage that and it's detrimental to the team that someone so good at keeping the ball should so readily waste it.

I don't understand the "if Barca couldn't teach him so-and-so how are we meant to?" argument.

He was about 21 when he left, at least 7 years from his prime.

He's a striker so he shouldn't be in the position to give the ball away in dangerous areas. It's a bit like when Drogba gave away those penalties against Bayern and Barca in the Champions League. What's he doing back there anyway?

Like all players, he needed a run in the team in his best position before he could be judged. If Bowyer doesn't want to give him that then we might as well let him go.

He'd obviously be a good asset to bring on but if we're shipping out a few, I guess we're looking to bring in a couple of new faces. Our squads hardly brimming with creativity though so hopefully at least one of them can play in the hole.

I don't understand the "if Barca couldn't teach him so-and-so how are we meant to?" argument.

Nor do I, otherwise he would still be at Barca, or sold to a bigger club than Rovers.

Barca's school of excellence has slightly higher standards than us.

Sounds like he's gone?

The most skilful player at the club and quite possibly then least effective. Maybe another manager could have got an end result out of him BUT and taking whatever cost and contractual details out of the equation then if we had to get one out to get one in then I think Gestede will prove more suited to our needs in the hurly burly of the Championship than Rochina.

As for Raya, they've let in more goals than any other in La Liga and are apparently second from bottom.... I'm not sure Reuban is exactly what they need.

Just not very good really. Some ability but unable to apply it over several years and on massive wages, most of which we are probably still lumbered with. A better player when he's oput of the team than when he's in uit, look at his stats over his time with us.....very poor indeed.

Voted no. In many ways the most skilful player in the squad but with absolutely no idea how to play the game simply and effectively. Hasn't learned at all in the time he's been here which is a poor reflection on him and our coaching.

Saying that if we could bin off proper dead legs like Etohu and Best etc etc I'd be quite happy for him to stay.

A player who has achieved legendary status for doing absolutely nothing over many years. Amazed this needs a poll. Does not contribute = does not deserve to be here. More good riddance to bad rubbish.

If he ever learns to play as part of a team he could be a good little player for someone. As it is he is just a fancy dan show pony, a total luxury for us at this level who must be seriously thick the way he is progressing his career.

1 thing I will say for ruben is he at least looks a goal threat. He scored 5 goals in 19 championship games last year. We talk at length about people not named jordan rhodes scoring for us and he along with dunny are the only 2 that have looked like helping rhodes in this category really. Without knowing his wages and the targets GB has to hit on the wage bill I cant really vote yes or no. All in all bit of a shame he's gone, but not a huge shock/disappointment

To look further at the stats he started 11 games to get them 5 goals. Also had 4 assists, so as well as being a touch frustrating, the output is there at times

It says something about the managers we have and have had if they can't accommodate his skill, but when you examine the managers since he's been here it tells you something does it not?

Archived