BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Areas in Blackburn

Got to be honest with you, I wouldn't say Whitebirk Rd is fairly good, more like fairly poor in my view.

Not the worst area of Blackburn but as far as council property areas go, closer to the bottom of the list than the top, I'd say.

I agree totally with Willies post, but beggars cant always be choosers, you could easily be on the list for years before you get offered an ideal place, so it depends how eager you are to get away from where you are now and how long you're prepared to wait.

Have you tried any of the homeswappers websites- http://www.homeswapper.co.uk/ , are privately let properties out of the equation?(if not have a look on here- http://www.e-denlettings.co.uk/lettings.aspx , some of the 1/2 bed flats and houses on here are asking for similar rents than twin valley/council so your housing benefit may fully cover them)

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think you'll be short of buses there, Savio. You are right next to the bus depot!

You should be ok on the main road there I would have thought. Beware though, McDonald's is in too close a walking distance!! :D As far as amenities, it's pretty good. Bit of a stretch to walk to Tesco from there - unless you cut down Hereford Road - but there's a newsies on Accrington Road that sells a few groceries, and a choice of TWO barber shops! (Unless you are a clippers man, like me :unsure::lol:)

If they ever develop Whitebirk industrial estate (a la Deepdale) like they've been threatening to - amid complaints from it would take business from Accrington - you'll be laughing.

Thanks Stu that is handy to know there is a barbers & newsies nearby as I am familiar with Hereford Road I don't mind cutting down there for tesco's I also believe down that way is walking distance to Audley Range. It's also good to know I am near a bus depot so is good to see good bus links quite close. It would be good to be offered it as it is one of these new Energy efficient homes & is ideal as it is ground floor with a nice garden.

Think the talk previously was regarding being on the edges of the Estate towards the intack side or top of Devon Road or on the Intack estate (as it was classed, hamer Ave Peronne Cres etc) was a better area than in the middle of the Whitebirk estate

Thanks perth the flat is actually quite close to Hamer Ave & Hereford Road more towards the Intack side of Whitebirk it is also quite close to Accy Road.

I agree totally with Willies post, but beggars cant always be choosers, you could easily be on the list for years before you get offered an ideal place, so it depends how eager you are to get away from where you are now and how long you're prepared to wait.

Have you tried any of the homeswappers websites- http://www.homeswapper.co.uk/ , are privately let properties out of the equation?(if not have a look on here- http://www.e-denlettings.co.uk/lettings.aspx , some of the 1/2 bed flats and houses on here are asking for similar rents than twin valley/council so your housing benefit may fully cover them)

Tks TJ yeah privately let places are out of the question as I have had a lot of problems in the past and am more comfortable in social housing. TJ tbh if it were possible I would wait longer but due to the fact I am currently overcrowded in a studio bedsit and given I have a season ticket this year and with me having to travel the night before up to blackburn as the first home game of this season I came up on Sat morning and due to travel disruptions I turned up at half time to the forest game and staying in blackburn overnight is just too impractical so from my point of view I need to be moving as soon as something suitable comes up I am currently at the top of the list for the whitebirk property and providing no-one in a higher band bids for the place I will be offered it hopefully I will as it is an energy efficient home. Tks for the advice on homeswapper I actually am registered with the site I did have a swap lined up for a place in Galligreaves and I was all ready to take over the chaps place and he was all ready to take over my flat unfortunately due to the fact the council was not prepared to adapt my flat to his needs the deal fell through & his flat was perfect for me so hopefully with a bit of luck I get offered this flat in whitebirk.

Thanks once again to everyone who has given me good advice I am eternally grateful and hopefully with a bit of luck this search will be at an end soon.

Thanks T.J. for the tip the property I am in for is:

Energy Rating:A (92-100)
I don't think it is economy 7 but can you pls confirm tks.

I cant tell you from the info your showing, that is a good energy rating, but they can sometimes be misleading.

Economy 7 compromises of electric storage heaters that heat up over night(usually on a lower night tariff) they're not very practical as you cant just turn them on when you need them, you have to put them on a day in advance, though you are actually supposed to keep them on 24/7 for them to be most efficient(but that would cost a bomb)

I think they're mostly used in properties that don't have a gas supply, but I'm not totally sure.

You might want to check on the garden situation Savio, it use to be bottom flat had responsibility for front garden and top flat was responsible for the back (if I remember rightly it was something to do with the positioning of front doors)., but was always open to debate, you might get lucky and your upstairs neighbour might not be bothered and you can potter about in both.

As for positioning of the flat, as others have mentioned chippies, groceries etc within walking distance as well as bus stops. The Red Lion (if it's still a pub) near the bottom Whitebirk roundabout used to do reasonable pub grub, also within walking distance you have the Greenbank retail park with various stores (sure somebody can tell you whats there nowadays). There also used to be a few Rovers supporters who went into the Intack pub and Toll Bar (still open?) on match days before heading off to Ewood

As for not being far from Audley Range, from that flat if you cut through the estate you can be at the top (bottom?) of Audley range where it meets Accy rd in about 10/15 minutes (walking)

Anyway good luck on getting it.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice I have now been offered the place on whitebirk road I am due to view the place on the 10th March and providing there are no last minute hitches I should be moving in by the end of the mth/ beginning of april & providing the flat is in a reasonable condition. I am also viewing it at an ideal time just after the dingles match & b4 bournemouth match. Perth thanks for the advice on the garden I will check that out when I view it. Tks also to you TJ & perth for the advice on bars doing cheap pub grub. TJ you read my mind like a book I do love my sunday roasts so will definitely check out the Morher red caps.

Is that more acurate, is it, really, zzzzzz.

Ignore him Mr rule he's just got a bit of a stiffy for trying to wind me up at the minute.

mother redcaps probably the most popular pub restauraunt in that area and has been for a long time, its good regular carvery food for regular people at easily affordable prices.

Is that more acurate, is it, really, zzzzzz.

Ignore him Mr rule he's just got a bit of a stiffy for trying to wind me up at the minute.

mother redcaps probably the most popular pub restauraunt in that area and has been for a long time, its good regular carvery food for regular people at easily affordable prices.

Ha ha

• Backroom

Went a couple of weeks ago and to be fair it was decent

Certainly worth the cash for a quick meal if you go in knowing what to expect

Back off to Resh's again next week, always enjoy the meal there

The carvery is good value, but being honest I'd rather spend a bit more and be in a quieter restaurant.

They've always been packed whenever I've been!!

fair point, but there's not a lot of options for pub restaurants in short(10-15mins) easy walking distance of whiteberk, there's the Red Lion obviously, but I've only been in there for food once and was served a still half frozen lasagne that had been microwaved. and didn't even get an apology when I pointed it out to the waiter, just a grunt and made to feel like I was being an awkward customer instead, I never went back(though this was probably the best part of 10 years ago so it may have improved since)

Archived