BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Adware

My Firefox seems to have picked pop up ads . I've tried turning them off , I ran virus check , malware and adaware and ccleaner to no avail . I uninstalled it and reinstalled it . And random words on this site are appearing as links to ads .

You will need to go at it a few different ways.

Firstly in Programs Files, delete/uninstall any crappy bit of software you can see. Be careful when uninstalling as often they have tick boxes to keep it installed etc.

In Firefox you will need to go into Addons - remove and disable any program that you don't know what it is. Also go into manage Search Engines and you will need to remove/disable the things you don't know of.

A short cut I've used is to uninstall the search engine, Firefox or whatever. Power off, reboot and re-install the SE.

BEFORE doing tho make sure your IE is working so you can get on the web.

• 2 weeks later...

Abbey, this is what my Anti virus system says:

"Win/Zperm AVG detects this highly active Virus and its 1 known variant.

What is Win/Zperm?

Win/Zperm is a malicious software that once it is exceuted has the capability of replicating itself and infect other files and programs. These type of malware, called Viruses, can steal hard disk space and memory that slows down or completely halts your PC. It can also corrupt or delete data, erase your hard drive, steal personal information, hijack your screen and spam your contacts to spread itself to other users. Usually, a Virus is received as an attachment on an email or instant message. Win/Zperm is currently ranked 139 in the world of online malware, affecting between 100,000 and 500,000 users, in 23 countries.

• Rank this
    week

• Rank last
    week

• % of global
    detections

< 0.5%

Jan 17Jan 29Feb 10

More virus analytics →

How can I remove Win/Zperm?

While surfing online
If you received a pop-up warning for Win/Zperm while you were surfing a website, chances are that the malware was blocked and there's nothing to remove.

During your regular activity
When AVG real-time antivirus protection detects a virus in your computer, the AVG Detection window is displayed, with two options:

• Protect Me: this is the recommended action. It will remove the threat from your device.
  • Ignore the threat: will do nothing to remove the virus, however the file will be blocked so infection won't spread

It is recommended to perform a full device scan after dealing with any threat, to make sure it was successfully deleted.

For more detailed advise on more specific situations, please visit to our Virus Removal FAQ section.

The results provided by this website are provided on an "as is" basis with no warranty as to accuracy or completeness. You acknowledge by using this website that you have read and agree to the terms and conditions available here."

Abbey you need to sort out your virus protection. I use Microsoft Security Essentials - it's free and in my opinion one of the best products MS have ever introduced.

Install it, set up standard use (default), set updates for every 12 hours. That's it.

There is no reason why you should get these problems if you run MSE. We never have any issues at home or work.

As for that particular virus you need to clean it out. My guess is you need to run AVG (or better MSE) in normal mode and then in safe mode as it's clearly sitting there.

Given the problems you get I take it you do back up everyday?

See my original post. Doesn't matter what anti-virus you're running, you keep visiting those pr0n sites and you'll keep running the risk of getting an internet STD. No anti-virus software is foolproof. In most cases, all it's good for is notifying the user that their computer has been infected more than protection itself.

• 1 month later...

Archived