BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Adware

God knows where you go on the web Abbs. Haven't see any adware, viruses or Trojans on any of our kit at home or work for years. That's two PCs, four laptops and two tablets, also got three iPhones.

Running Microsoft Works on the laptops and PCs and AVG on the Android tablets. We never get a sniff of a problem. MSW seems to catch everything and let's face it Microsoft daren't issue rubbish virus protection software. I have colleagues at work on a seperate system which I'm not responsible for. They never bother to update or have real time protection etc. and often run into trouble.

My guess is you have two problems; first you're not set up properly and need to run real time protection plus regular updates. Secondly, and I'm not criticising, most of this cr@p comes from dodgy websites; only time I've had a problem in last five years was when I went searching for a site that promised old Google software for free which Google had withdrawn. Did the download and immediately picked up a browser hijacker and some malware. Just proves if you try something dodgy you open yourself up to attack.

Any site that isn't kosher is just asking for trouble.

• 11 months later...

Archived