Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Rao's

Five Bahrain footballers train with Blackburn Rovers

blackburn-rovers-ewood-park.jpg
© Getty Images
By Liam Apicella, Features Editor

Filed: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 16:49 UK

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 16:51 UK
Five youngsters from Bahrain have been selected to undergo a two-week training programme with Blackburn Rovers.

The quintet of footballers were picked following the conclusion of a seven-a-side tournament on the small island that was organised by the Rao family, who own Rovers.

The Bahrain Football Association's general secrety Hassan Ismail told the Federation's official site that the link with Blackburn would provide "an opportunity to prepare youth teams that would serve the Bahraini football in the near future."

Championship outfit Blackburn have previously hosted the annual event in Hong Kong and India.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five Bahrain footballers train with Blackburn Rovers

blackburn-rovers-ewood-park.jpg

© Getty Images

Tweet

Some Bahraini investment possibly? Might be promising but there has been a bit of civil unrest over there.

By Liam Apicella, Features Editor

Filed: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 16:49 UK

Last Updated: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 16:51 UK

Five youngsters from Bahrain have been selected to undergo a two-week training programme with Blackburn Rovers.

The quintet of footballers were picked following the conclusion of a seven-a-side tournament on the small island that was organised by the Rao family, who own Rovers.

The Bahrain Football Association's general secrety Hassan Ismail told the Federation's official site that the link with Blackburn would provide "an opportunity to prepare youth teams that would serve the Bahraini football in the near future."

Championship outfit Blackburn have previously hosted the annual event in Hong Kong and India.

Every time I read things like this I can't help but feel they're flogging a dead horse. But I'll never criticise anyone for trying. Its their money and if they see this as a means to promote the club then I'm ok with that. Stories like these are preferable to recruiting cousins as agents or Ronaldinho or Champions League etc.... good luck to them.

Bahrain was were Western Gulf advisory was based wasn't it? think Venky's do a far bit of business over that way, so a brand building exercise for them probably. Never know might excite somebody in Bahrain enough to partner up with Venky's regarding Rovers.

Did anybody read about the Bahrain V Indonesia 2014 World cup qualifier, needed to win 9-0 and then won 10-0 , awarded 4 penalties and the Indonesia Goalkeeper sent off in the first 5 minutes, so they must have some decent players down that way, perhaps Rovers could learn a thing or two :)

Poetic license, Perth? It really was a bloody good shot, wasn't it

With regard to their non football related activities their expansion and growth into related and new markets is pretty good, hence my comment. Probably the only positive thing Ive said about them. Also think he's the one who is the least optimistic about owning the club and that was before the snowball incident

even though this is a nothing story - it is positive, Man United etc probably do something similar 3 times a week so its no big deal.

fair play to them and it shows that they do still have an interest in promoting rovers abroad. if it results in nothing more than 200 shirt sales, all well and good!!

Earlier this week Sheikh Ali bin Khalifa who is Bahrainian said:

"We are pleased with our association with the English Club today, and look forward to this partnership is beneficial for both sides, and I took advantage of this space to thank a Tricom, which played a major role in organizing the visit and a development agreement for the future".

With the news of these young players coming to Rovers, I wonder if he was talking about Rovers!

Guest Norbert

Isn't Bahrain the gulf state that has tortured and killed a fair few pro-Democracy protesters in recent years? To me, this may be the start of some sort of partnership between the Raos and Bahrain. Goodness know how that will work as I can't see the ruling family just throwing tens of millions of pounds to just keep the Indians happy and prop up the club for no return.

Anyway, imagine if one of those players turned out to be good. As likely as Steven Hawking playing for the Wigan Warriors, but it would be amusing.

KAMY FYI

Khalifa is the ruling family , if i'm not wrong sheikh ali is the deputy prime minister

Earlier this week Sheikh Ali bin Khalifa who is Bahrainian said:

"We are pleased with our association with the English Club today, and look forward to this partnership is beneficial for both sides, and I took advantage of this space to thank a Tricom, which played a major role in organizing the visit and a development agreement for the future".

With the news of these young players coming to Rovers, I wonder if he was talking about Rovers!

Archived