Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers U21's

FGS5635

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Norbert

Yep, he's rubbish and he'll never be a professional footballer. Just like every football player that has ever played in the lower divisions are wholly incapable of succeeding in a higher division ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Seen Rittenberg on the bench for the last few games and Jack O'Connell getting rave reviews at Rochdale, anyone think they or someone else can challenge next season?

At this stage of his career O'Connell woud surely benefit more from playing with Rochdale in League 1 than being fourth choice centre-back at Rovers. Rittenberg is a bit trickier to judge, but it doesn't bode well for Bowyer's confidence in him that he didn't even get a cameo appearance during those games on the bench.

At this stage of his career O'Connell woud surely benefit more from playing with Rochdale in League 1 than being fourth choice centre-back at Rovers. Rittenberg is a bit trickier to judge, but it doesn't bode well for Bowyer's confidence in him that he didn't even get a cameo appearance during those games on the bench.

I think in O'Connell's position another spell at Rochdale would do him a lot of good. Young, top class centre halves are pretty rare. You need experience for that role. Rochdale will be playing at a higher level this time as well. I'd limit it to 3 months this time though.

I think in O'Connell's position another spell at Rochdale would do him a lot of good. Young, top class centre halves are pretty rare. You need experience for that role. Rochdale will be playing at a higher level this time as well. I'd limit it to 3 months this time though.

Jack would be far better off here. Training with better players as 3rd choice CB, he can also cover left back as well for us a'la Kean, as he has played there before. This year has been great for him as he was playing and winning, regularly. Next season will be on of avoiding relegation for Rochdale, just as it was for Gillingham. Here, provided he gets pitch time and should as Hanley gets sent off and Kilgallon has an injury record. Spurr can also be afforded a rest when needed as well. Playing here means he will face far stronger opponents, after a period were his confidence etc must be very high, can only benefit his development far more than a season at either league one or when struggling at times results wise. He is more than good enough for this level now and for me should be playing a strong role here as if there is certainly one thing to take from his meteoric rise at Rochdale, and that is he has good potential and learns very quickly. Prem teams have been linked he's a regular for England youth and barely 3-4 years ago had never played for a pro club in his life. Keep him here and play him he's clearly got a strong future and playing at the highest level possible can only bring him on quicker. Also people talk about creating a winning mentality here, he was considered influential enough to be made club captain (he's a kid), so surely was influential within the Rochdale squad. which just makes me believe that he could help in creating said winning mentality as he won more matches than anyone else at Rovers this season.

Jack would be far better off here. Training with better players as 3rd choice CB, he can also cover left back as well for us ala Kean, as he has played there before. This year has been great for him as he was playing and winning, regularly. Next season will be on of avoiding relegation for Rochdale, just as it was for Gillingham. Here, provided he gets pitch time and should as Hanley gets sent off and Kilgallon has an injury record. Spurr can also be afforded a rest when needed as well. Playing here means he will face far stronger opponents, after a period were his confidence etc must be very high, can only benefit his development far more than a season at either league one or when struggling at times results wise. He is more than good enough for this level now and for me should be playing a strong role here as if there is certainly one thing to take from his meteoric rise at Rochdale, and that is he has good potential and learns very quickly. Prem teams have been linked he's a regular for England youth and barely 3-4 years agon had never played for a pro club in his life. Keep him here and play him he's clearly got a strong future and playing at the highest level possible can only bring him on quicker.

Fair enough. If he's good enough he'll get a chance I'm sure.

I went to Rochdale's last home game of the season, whilst they won and kept a clean sheet I wasn't thrilled by O'Connell, I was expecting more. Don't know if he wasn't his normal self but whilst he got clearances in he wasn't making them count and generally gave the ball away quite a bit.

As I say maybe I saw him on an off day but we shall see. Also it may not necessarily be a relegation season for Dale, last time they got promoted 4 years ago they finished 9th in League 1.

I'd say keep him here for pre-season and see how he goes on, if we are tight on budget etc then keep him around otherwise see if Dale will take him back till January at least

Archived