BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

Yeah - let's stick with a guy who isn't up to the job because the next guy might be worse.

All precedent points towards the next one being another rookie. Likelihood of him being better and solving all of the problems?

Not likely

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I'm with Kamy on this one. If we had competent owners I'd lean towards the "review at the end of the season" option, but with Venky's in charge there's no telling which clown they'd bring in next. Maybe a washed up has-been, maybe a greedy never-was, maybe Judan Ali... chances of it being a good appointment? Slim to none based on their current record. I'm not willing to give Venky's the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Does current form have me worried? Absolutely. Are performances right now unacceptable? Yep. Bad enough to sack the manager? For me, not yet. If we win our game in hand over Ipswich we're two points behind them. They have the vastly experienced Mick McCarthy at the helm and a squad very much comparable with ours. Some of the expectation on here, imo, comes from an over-inflated opinion of the team we have. They really aren't that good. I'd say the teams above us have better first 11's to call upon. I take the point Bowyer has been able to bring in a fair amount of players, but he's also been hampered I would imagine by the lack of boardroom solidarity and battering the reputation of the club has received over the past few years. The budget is also fairly tight and it seems the sales of the likes of Olsson have funded most of our free transfers+wages this year. I think the most we've spent in terms of transfer fees is £1M on Ben Marshall?

I'd still give Bowyer the summer to trim the squad to an acceptable level (far too many players at the moment) and do what he can to improve in areas we're lacking (right back & centre midfield), but I would also expect a far more consistent season next year. I would not be as forgiving of results and overall performance as I have been this season.

Venkys Out !

Thats the real answer.

Spot on, the sooner the better

Needs time and backing. The owners have chosen to go down the 'inexperienced road', now it's time to stick with him and allow him to learn as he goes.

We can still reach the play-offs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:wacko:

I don't want Gary to leave the club. Never have.

I'd prefer him to stay on the coaching staff but I'm not sure if the players would respect him afterward, or if he'd even want to.

We are desperate for an experienced hand to come in, IMHO, so it just depends on timing for tea. On the one hand, there is nothing left to play for this season and, providing he hasn't lost the dressing room, I would hope we can get enough points to stay up and not go into free fall.

On the other hand if there was a decent manager or there - and I still wouldn't rule out Mackay despite concerns from some quarters - then it would be better to let him find out about the squad during the remainder of this season rather than when it might matter next season.

Some think that we are already a League One level outfit and Bowyer is doing magnificently to have us 'challenging' for mid table championship. I say that we need to be aiming for a return to the PL before the Raos lose interest completely and turn the taps off.

Why is it always a caveat to keep Bowyer??? Unless the team drinks tea and coffee at training

If we get rid we get rid and if Bowyer is a lemon enough to take an embarrassing demotion such as that he isn't worth a sheckle

I don't want Gary to leave the club. Never have.

I'd prefer him to stay on the coaching staff but I'm not sure if the players would respect him afterward, or if he'd even want to.

We are desperate for an experienced hand to come in, IMHO, so it just depends on timing for tea. On the one hand, there is nothing left to play for this season and, providing he hasn't lost the dressing room, I would hope we can get enough points to stay up and not go into free fall.

On the other hand if there was a decent manager or there - and I still wouldn't rule out Mackay despite concerns from some quarters - then it would be better to let him find out about the squad during the remainder of this season rather than when it might matter next season.

Some think that we are already a League One level outfit and Bowyer is doing magnificently to have us 'challenging' for mid table championship. I say that we need to be aiming for a return to the PL before the Raos lose interest completely and turn the taps off.

Stuart, I know what you're saying but our problem lies in your ultimate sentence. It's their aims solely, nobody can influence whether or not they turn the taps off or when. Whether they actually ever had any real interest or not is a quandary.

Needs time and backing. The owners have chosen to go down the 'inexperienced road', now it's time to stick with him and allow him to learn as he goes.

We can still reach the play-offs.

Blimy someone's been on strong ale.

• Backroom

I'm in the mindset currently that if things continue as they are then offer him a backroom role again when his contract expires

It comes down to what ambition we have, if we want to go up next season then we need someone more capable of changing a game and controlling games, if we want to simply stay in the league he will probably be ok.

His blind faith in Lowe since hes been in charge is one of the main reasons i want him to go.....

Hanley Rhodes & Lowe are the untouchables in the eyes of GB but the latter has been one of the weak links for a long time but instead of putting him on the bench now and again he has been an everpresent ......

GB football style is very negative and thing is he has not even strenthened the Full backs area considering hes bought in so many.......

Ollsen & Josh Morris

Henley & Kane

All lightweights yet he keeps buying players in other positions.....

For me GB = Good Bye

I've seen enough games now where bowyers tactics have cost us points Barnsley away first one that springs to mind. I can always forgive a "rookie" manager mistakes but he keeps making the same mistakes and doesn't learn from them that above all worries me the most. For this reason think he should be replaced as soon as possible.

Also I don't buy into this idea of giving him to the end of the season then sack him. A new manager in at this point in the season will achieve nothing for this season but can see the current squad play in competitive games evaluate who's up to it and then when summer starts build immediately. Raher than sacking someone in may, 5 weeks to get new manager in by which time half way through summer and rushing to do business.

I'd thank him for his efforts, hope he'd stay on in some capacity but appoint a manager experienced within the English leagues rather than this promoting coaches thing the venkys seem to do.

I'm in the mindset currently that if things continue as they are then offer him a backroom role again when his contract expires

It comes down to what ambition we have, if we want to go up next season then we need someone more capable of changing a game and controlling

games, if we want to simply stay in the league he will probably be ok.

Knowing our owners their ambition will be relegation and if they continue With Bowyer , they will achieve their aim sooner rather than later...

He should have gone this afternoon !

Can't really blame Bowyer for saying what he did post match, He's just doing what 99% of others would say in regards to their job and/or business. He was hardly likely to say "the players have given up and we're all just waiting for the World Cup to start and a nice bit of sunshine" (i.e.- something closer to the truth.

I reckon we'll win about 3 out of our next 12 games.

Never ever thought that Bowyer was the man for Rovers.

Has brought some stability but, unfortunately, in our position that is nowhere near enough.

He is so uninspiring as an individual, negative and tactically inept. Think he also lacks authority with players supposedly referring to him as 'Gaz'.

Some says he needs tactical help well if he does, he's clearly not the man for the job. Neither would I suggest are Short, Grant & McPhillips - what on earth do they all do? Sounds like nice well paid work if you can get it.

His signings have been very mixed - some decent but some totally unfathomable eg Judge, Marrow, Songo, Dabo, Feeney.

Should be sacked immediately as we are barely treading water so that the new man has a run of games to take stock in readiness for pre season.

Do not subscribe to the view that we could attract no one better - that is absolute nonsense.

What is problematical is the ability or inability of Venky's and Shelfy to make the right appointment. However, that should not prevent change as we need change to move forward.

Fear Rovers future is hanging by a thread.

Now that the season is effectively over with both Dingle games done and playoffs gone, its must be decision time for the loons.

Not a fan myself of sacking managers so frequently but we've not had a decent one since Venkys arrived. I don't for one minute believe that they would even contemplate anything other than another rookie manager and as i have said in another thread, short would be nailed on for the job.

On Bowyer, i think in the main, he has done a decent enough job and people nit picking through his signings is pointless. He was never ever going to make 19/20 signings, a fair few freebies (i think) and them all to be top quality.

Its his defensive tactics that hold him back so much, getting a goal and then sitting back simply isn't working. It would have been fine if he saw that, and started to change the tactics but he hasn't.

I think at the moment, the manner of how we have lost the last 3 games has been hard to take but i would give him a chance to sort things out till the end of the season.

Surely he cant see the last 3 games as being anywhere near acceptable and must see the need for change?

no other option but to sack, any other club would have done it by now, you cant say keep the manager because no one else would take the job otherwise there is no point in carrying on with that attitude, I never believed in the hype in the first place, I believe he was appointed because he would step in line with venkys demands not because he was any good.

Archived