BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

• Moderation Lead

We appointed him because he was cheap. Like any manager of BRFC I was happy to give him a chance, particularly given what has gone on in the last three and a half years.

That being said, the football of late has been no better than anything served up by any of his predecessors, and shows no signs of improving. This is especially disappointing, considering two bad defeats where we were promised a 'reaction'.....

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Kamy on this one. If we had competent owners I'd lean towards the "review at the end of the season" option, but with Venky's in charge there's no telling which clown they'd bring in next. Maybe a washed up has-been, maybe a greedy never-was, maybe Judan Ali... chances of it being a good appointment? Slim to none based on their current record. I'm not willing to give Venky's the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Does current form have me worried? Absolutely. Are performances right now unacceptable? Yep. Bad enough to sack the manager? For me, not yet. If we win our game in hand over Ipswich we're two points behind them. They have the vastly experienced Mick McCarthy at the helm and a squad very much comparable with ours. Some of the expectation on here, imo, comes from an over-inflated opinion of the team we have. They really aren't that good. I'd say the teams above us have better first 11's to call upon. I take the point Bowyer has been able to bring in a fair amount of players, but he's also been hampered I would imagine by the lack of boardroom solidarity and battering the reputation of the club has received over the past few years. The budget is also fairly tight and it seems the sales of the likes of Olsson have funded most of our free transfers+wages this year. I think the most we've spent in terms of transfer fees is £1M on Ben Marshall?

I'd still give Bowyer the summer to trim the squad to an acceptable level (far too many players at the moment) and do what he can to improve in areas we're lacking (right back & centre midfield), but I would also expect a far more consistent season next year. I would not be as forgiving of results and overall performance as I have been this season.

You've hit the nail on the head their, DE. There is a lot of arrogance on this board about the team Rovers have because of the fact we were a prem team two years ago. The reality is, we are a mid table championship side this season. People are forgetting we were very close to being a lge 1 side this season so progress certainly has been made but more progress needs to be made to turn us into genuine prem contenders.

8 Teams have lost 4 league games on the trot this season.

Barnsley - sacked manager

Charlton - sacked

Blackpool - sacked

Wigan - sacked

Leeds Utd - sacked/kept for now ?

Bolton - kept

Doncaster - kept

Yeovil - kept

No team has lost 5 on the run, I think GB should be given until after the Leicester home game,

if we've then lost 5 on the bounce, I don't think anyone could blame the club for sacking him really.

Just my thoughts !

His blind faith in Lowe since hes been in charge is one of the main reasons i want him to go.....

Hanley Rhodes & Lowe are the untouchables in the eyes of GB but the latter has been one of the weak links for a long time but instead of putting him on the bench now and again he has been an everpresent ......

Totally disagree. Lowe is the workhorse of the team. One of the first on the team sheet. But must NOT have Willow alongside him.

Regarding GB, what has gone wrong? Booed off the pitch v Bournemouth yet cheered off the pitch at Wigan having lost both games.

For the remainder of this season I hope to see GB building for next season. If he cannot do that he should go in the early summer.

Up until the last two weeks I thought that Bowyer should be given every encouragement. The last three games have changed that. I feel that he has taken as far as he can and we are in danger of now going into reverse.

He seems to be another case of a caretaker manager who has had a short term positive effect but it has now worn off.

If we could get a manager in now, he can have time to assess like the season when Souness took over from Parkes. Many questioned him with his team selections and poor results but he was trying different and steadily built the team which produced some great football.

Basically keeping the same manager for longer than a few weeks. Even if he is a clown.

Kean brought us stability based on that theory.

That's kind of what I was getting at. If "stability" means only keeping the same manager then it's not Bowyer that's brought it, it's DARE I SAY IT - The owners that have brought stability to the club.

But I'm sure others might have some differing opinions.

"Stability"

Firstly this is a genuine question. I keep seeing the above word banded about here, there and everywhere. Bowyer has brought stability to the club.

But what do people actually mean by that?

Bowyer has not brought stability. The owners giving up this season and allowing a lemon to sleepwalk us to the summer is the only stability. Bowyer is 1 point ahead of kean, berg and voldemort at this stage. Voldemort got 1 more point before getting sacked. So bowyer needs a result in the next 3 games to prevent equalling those 3 morons after 37 gamed

I think if he was the "Sporting director" then he would be getting a lot of praise for the changes off the pitch and the recruitment of some very good (for this level) players. My belief is that this "nice guy Gaz" insult is unfair in that he has actually restored a sense of decency around the first team squad and has done a good job in giving us some dignity after what has gone on during the last 3 years - indeed i would go so far to say that if you Kean around then you will be reprimanded and then dropped/moved on.

Up until yesterday i would have said give him till at least christmas but if he can't get a passionate response after losing against that lot (even if it meant putting out a different first 11) to get the crowd back on board then he is not a manager.

Would like him to be put in overall charge of youth/development/scouting and a "blood and thunder" type brought in to get the players fighting for everything and the fans on their feet. I think a number of people will accept a lesser quality of football but not a lesser quality combined with (seemingly) less fight.

Edit: forgot to mention that i have no idea if the club is capable of making a good appointment - Einstein suggests not but 60 million quid might encourage a change of tactic...

We're nine points behind the last play-off spot with a game in hand, but with crappy goal difference. Considering our form for the past 34 games it's bloody obvious that it's not likely that we'll make it as we're sitting 10th in the league, but I prefer having some faith instead of being a doom merchant. If Burnley can string a run of results together then so can we :)

Hope Cairney is back soon.

We're nine points behind the last play-off spot with a game in hand, but with crappy goal difference. Considering our form for the past 34 games it's bloody obvious that it's not likely that we'll make it as we're sitting 10th in the league, but I prefer having some faith instead of being a doom merchant. If Burnley can string a run of results together then so can we :)

Did you go on Wednesday?

You would not have any faith if you had.

based on what exactly? Is this team any better than last season? no, so what maked people think things will change drastically next season? and please don't mention stability!!

Christ, some people have short memories. Is this team any better than last season? I won't even dignify that with a response.

What makes people think things will drastically change next season? Well, GB saved us from relegation certainty last season and has transformed a relegation threatened side into a top 10 side who have flirted with the play offs. That is pretty good progress in just 12 months. Not to mention trimming the wage bill, shopping in the bargain basement, shipping out the deadwood signed by Kean and Shabby and bringing in young, hungry British players. Again, not bad for 12 months work.

Some people have said GB is tactically inept. He's not, he's just a very defensively minded manager. I agree that he need to go for it a bit more and attack teams.

Can't believe some people are saying 3 games ago they backed Bowyer and are now saying he should go. Fickle fans.

Christ, some people have short memories. Is this team any better than last season? I won't even dignify that with a response.

What makes people think things will drastically change next season? Well, GB saved us from relegation certainty last season and has transformed a relegation threatened side into a top 10 side who have flirted with the play offs. That is pretty good progress in just 12 months. Not to mention trimming the wage bill, shopping in the bargain basement, shipping out the deadwood signed by Kean and Shabby and bringing in young, hungry British players. Again, not bad for 12 months work.

Some people have said GB is tactically inept. He's not, he's just a very defensively minded manager. I agree that he need to go for it a bit more and attack teams.

Can't believe some people are saying 3 games ago they backed Bowyer and are now saying he should go. Fickle fans.

Are you actually Bowyer or Steve Kean .

If we've flirted with the Play Offs then I've flirted with Keira Knightley as I once drove a train into Kings Cross whilst she was filming a scene.

Did you go on Wednesday?

You would not have any faith if you had.

I still had faith before Wednesday, as our performance vs Burnley was pretty damned good compared to the other toilet I've witnessed at home since December - (grimly hanging on against Doncaster etc.) But Wednesday night was a SHOCKING new low. I've lost all hope, it was fcuking diabolical!

I think some of us have higher expectations of what progress is

I also prefer to have faith in the club I have supported for 40 years. My evaluation is that this squad was never more than a mid table team. There seems to be no planned method or pattern to play. The football is generally ponderous, sideways/backwards/ big hoof.We are predictable and too easy to play against. We have capitulated and simply caved in on all too many occasions.

The remaining deadwood has to be cleared out and key positions have to be replaced by better players.This needs to happen quickly and I accept it will add to the financial loss.

Finally,for the first time in nearly four years. Blackburn Rovers need an experienced, proven, authoritative manager and one who is able impose his tactics on the opposition and influence the game positively by substitutions, when necessary, The alternative is unbearable.

Are you actually Bowyer or Steve Kean .

Abbey, NOT everybody has your views on.Bowyer. or on many things either.

it is Rovers11 view and I agree with most of his post. I also agree with Kamy view aswell.

dont forget this messageboard..different people with different views.

btw, thankyou Kamy for written a really good article.

If we've flirted with the Play Offs then I've flirted with Keira Knightley as I once drove a train into Kings Cross whilst she was filming a scene.

We've been around 3-6 points off the play offs most of the season. We're getting adrift now but we've been in and around for most of the season without ever seriously looking like we'll make it.

Finally,for the first time in nearly four years. Blackburn Rovers need an experienced, proven, authoritative manager and one who is able impose his tactics on the opposition and influence the game positively by substitutions, when necessary, The alternative is unbearable.

Absolutely.

There would be zero value in replacing Bowyer with another novice.

Archived