Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best Rovers X1 of the 70s

darrenrover

Perhaps appropriate to where we are:

Roger Jones

Kevin Hird, Alan Hunter, Derek Fazackerley, John Bailey

Noel Brotherston, Tony Parkes, Stuart Metcalfe, Dave Wagstaff

Don Martin, Simon Garner

There wouldn't be many I'd swap with our current crop.....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only Dunny would get in out of todays lot ...

Howard Kendall , would just have played in the 70s ...

Also Fred Pickering played part of the season we went down in 71 ..Scored the winner at Ewood just before relegation was confirmed ...

Also Fred Pickering played part of the season we went down in 71 ..Scored the winner at Ewood just before relegation was confirmed ...

There were a few others like that too Waggy - Billy Wilson, Eamonn Rogers, Ken Knighton.....

One of the saddest sights was seeing Fred come back during that relegation season. Overweight, blighted by injury, he was nothing like the swashbuckling centre-forward who was such a favourite of mine in the early sixties - Fred and Andy McEvoy scoring for fun with Dougie creating for them and with Fergie and Mike Harrison on the wings. Now that was attacking football at its best.

Oh dear .Fred was overweight and pretty woeful when he returned. He did score a good free kick though-at Leicester, I think. He was certainly not the Fred of old and what a shame he didn't return 2 years earlier...

Rhodes for Don Martin assuming the rest remained the same?

He'd fill his boots in that team IMO.

Don was a wonderful footballer who could play centre-back, centre-forward or midfield. For me, 'The Don' was better than anything we have in the present squad by country mile.

Don was a wonderful footballer who could play centre-back, centre-forward or midfield. For me, 'The Don' was better than anything we have in the present squad by country mile.

I agree, a very underrated player. He was an elegant footballer capable of playing anywhere on the pitch. I'd have him instead of Rhodes.

Yes he was PB. He could play the lone front man in this team and we would be better for it.

One of the saddest sights was seeing Fred come back during that relegation season. Overweight, blighted by injury, he was nothing like the swashbuckling centre-forward who was such a favourite of mine in the early sixties - Fred and Andy McEvoy scoring for fun with Dougie creating for them and with Fergie and Mike Harrison on the wings. Now that was attacking football at its best.

Yeah, they can't take away those memories. We'd have more shots on goal then in 45 minutes than in any four games now.

Don Martin was a class act. Unfortunately, never quite the same when he had broken his ankle.

Would replace Metcalfe in midfield with Ken Knighton. Metcalfe never quite fulfilled his potential and who can forget how he used to go round in circles ! Knighton was dynamite - real box to box with a superb shot (I cringe when I think of Jason Lowe !).

Talking of midfielders, who can forget "give us a goal, give us a goal, Barrie Hole".

Tony Filed and Waggy.................super memories.

Anybody remember the Riverside chant of Zigga Zagga,Zigga Zagga Hoy....Hoy......Hoy for Bobby Hoy

I remember that but I'm sure I sang

bobby bobby bobby hoy hoy hoy.

Archived