BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What we could have had !

On the back of yet another draw and a further loss of points, I have done a quick summary of what we could have had and where we should have been right here right now. Granted, we do have highs and lows, we do have the odd bit of luck and we have won games that we should have lost. BUT, looking at this list it is a case of IF ONLY (with a bit more nouse, a bit more planning, a better use of tactics and of course without the useless at time defending).

Derby h/a - we lost 4 points. Dominated both games, poor defending cost us. (4)

Forest h - awful defensive error cost us a point.(1).

Doncaster a - shocking defensive errors and poor finishing cost us a win. (3)

Huddersfield h - poor game play cost us 2 points. (2)

Leicester a - some poor play cost us a point. (1)

Wigan a - some really awful play cost us a win or at the very least a draw. (1)

Charlton h - awful game we should have won at a canter. (3)

Reading h - poor finishing cost us a win.(2)

Sheff Wed h a shocking game we should have won. (2)

Brum h - another shocking defensive effort in a game we should have won (3)

Bolton a - worst game of the season, should have had a point (1)

Burnley h - having been comfortable in the lead shocking defending cost us again, both pointswise and record wise (3).

Bournemouth h - shocking game (3)

Leicester h/Watford and Millwall a - these games have cost us at least 7 points due to defensive cock ups (7)

Brighton h - cost 2 points, another woeful defensive display (2).

So we have 53 points in the bag.

There's another 38 that we have thrown away through pure incompetence. That total of 91 points would have already us promoted or thereabouts.

That's my harsh view on this season. Lessons must be learned otherwise we face life in the doldrums.

On the back of yet another draw and a further loss of points, I have done a quick summary of what we could have had and where we should have been right here right now. Granted, we do have highs and lows, we do have the odd bit of luck and we have won games that we should have lost. BUT, looking at this list it is a case of IF ONLY (with a bit more nouse, a bit more planning, a better use of tactics and of course without the useless at time defending).

Derby h/a - we lost 4 points. Dominated both games, poor defending cost us. (4)

Forest h - awful defensive error cost us a point.(1).

Doncaster a - shocking defensive errors and poor finishing cost us a win. (3)

Huddersfield h - poor game play cost us 2 points. (2)

Leicester a - some poor play cost us a point. (1)

Wigan a - some really awful play cost us a win or at the very least a draw. (1)

Charlton h - awful game we should have won at a canter. (3)

Reading h - poor finishing cost us a win.(2)

Sheff Wed h a shocking game we should have won. (2)

Brum h - another shocking defensive effort in a game we should have won (3)

Bolton a - worst game of the season, should have had a point (1)

Burnley h - having been comfortable in the lead shocking defending cost us again, both pointswise and record wise (3).

Bournemouth h - shocking game (3)

Leicester h/Watford and Millwall a - these games have cost us at least 7 points due to defensive cock ups (7)

Brighton h - cost 2 points, another woeful defensive display (2).

So we have 53 points in the bag.

There's another 38 that we have thrown away through pure incompetence. That total of 91 points would have already us promoted or thereabouts.

That's my harsh view on this season. Lessons must be learned otherwise we face life in the doldrums.

What a ridiculous post. Every single set of fans In the football league could do something similar and have there side way better off than they actually are.

I am not asking you if you agree nnn. Its an opinion. In mine that's how I see it whether you think its ridiculous or not.

Yes that's fine, what about leeds at home that we didn't deserve to win, Doncaster at home when Robbo made a blinding save last minute, Reading away, Boro away lucky to get a point, Leeds away they had chances when we were 2-1 up, Millwall missed a sitter Saturday after we equalised. Swings and Roundabouts.

LOL! To this thread.

Though I get what you're saying in some respects. Even if you put it recently, very simply and more realistically - Any 2 wins from the following 3 against Bournemouth at home, bottom of the league away and tonight and those 5-6 points would have put us just 1-2 off the play-offs even by playing complete crap for almost the entire year.

IF................only..............................

Every team could say similar.

HOWEVER, I am utterly convinced that Bowyer's tactics have cost us the points required to reach a play-off place.

This is his team, his tactics, his way of playing but he has a free pass with some fans because of what has happened in the last three years. I wonder if had Berg or Appleton been "number 4" would they have been given the benefit of the doubt and allowed time to rebuild or is it actually because of his reserve and youth team involvement?

• Moderation Lead

He's been allowed far more grace from fans because of the chaos of the last three years or so than any other manager.

He just isn't learning at all though..

What we could have had......

> Gordon Brown as a capable Prime Minister

> an Education Secretary (Michael Gove) who actually knew the basics of an education system

> a Democratic Republic of Congo manned space mission who landed Pygmy warriors on the Moon

> owners who understood football and supported Rovers

> 3 points last night.

So with a different team, different manager and if each game was different we would have won the league easily. Maybe if we were a different club, i.e. Leicester, we would have won it weasily as well.

My favourites are the ones like Bolton and Bournemouth where we have been denied our rightful points just by being bad...... ha ha. We should complain to the league about this, it's not fair.

Good thread. There's always what ifs in football, but sometimes there are very clearly points that we threw away - last night being one of those occasions.

Personally think you are being a bit harsh: Doncaster away for example I thought we were second best to every ball and deserved to lose, likewise the first half of the Brum game at home meant we deserved nothing.

However the principle behind the post is very accurate - there are far too many times when teams have been there for the taking and we haven't done so. There's been far too many times when the opposition have made a change, and we've not coped with it at all. In both cases I'd say the blame for this firmly lies with the manager.

Whilst I think you've perhaps been a tad overly negative in terms of points lost I would say the case for getting 3 points from the game is exceptionally strong for the home games vs. Sheff Weds, Huddersfield and Charlton (and Reading, but we were lucky they played so badly.) Even just from those 3 games that would give us another 7 points, which would have us in and around the playoffs.

I could have had a super model if only I was taller,. richer, better looking etc etc etc.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda......................nah!

We are were we are because we are a mediocre side, full of average players, with a mediocre manager and ridiculous owners

I think the 2 games over Xmas were the killers for me , a win at Yeovil a win at Leeds and 5 points dropped at home in between , against Birmingham and Sheff Wed , an extra 5 points there wouldn't have automatically put us in play-offs today, but 4 wins on bounce over Xmas period would have given us so much confidence and really would have give us a springboard to get into the play-offs

• 3 weeks later...

If we just take a look at recent lost points never has this thread been more appropriate.

Look at the points thrown away and look where we really should have been. There are some very costly goals conceded in amongst this season when in all reality we could have walked this league like Leicester and Burnley have done.

If we just take a look at recent lost points never has this thread been more appropriate.

Look at the points thrown away and look where we really should have been. There are some very costly goals conceded in amongst this season when in all reality we could have walked this league like Leicester and Burnley have done.

We will next year ;)

Archived