BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday v Rovers

Neal

Big game, results permitting... We could be a point off the playoffs.

Sheffield Wednesday have had a decent season considering their start and manager Stuart Gray has worked a minor miracle over the other side of the Pennines. As we discovered at Ewood, Wednesday are very difficult team to break down, they're quick also, particularly our on the wings so I don't think Spurr and Keane will be able to get forward quite as easy as they did against QPR. Wednesday will also be a little lighter up front with Leon Best being ineligible after a mini resurgence in form from the unwanted & overpaid Rovers forward.

Rovers are coming into this game in good form, the QPR performance was probably the best of the season so far. Rudy and Conway are in blistering form, if we are to hurt them, it is likely that it will be by using those two. On Tuesday, Rovers looked like a team with some identity and style of play (for once), pressing high up the field has been key to picking up points recently and that needs to continue this weekend.

Bowyer could have something of a selection headache with Evans, Lowe, Williamson and Dunn all pushing for starting places in Rovers central areas but it's most likely that Gaz will stick with a winning side (understandably).

This one is a tough one to predict... As is every Rovers fixture considering we're the most inconsistent side in this league. Bowyer still has some convincing to do amongst some of the Rovers faithful, I'm sure the QPR performance helped his cause to some extent but the fans have yet to see that Rovers are capable of putting a run together that can show our potential in this league. Taking this into account, you would expect Rovers to get a point on Saturday but like we've being saying all season, 3 points are all that matter in this league as it's a league we need to get out of.

I'm trying not to let the rather impressive QPR display fool me, I've learned you can't trust to expect anything from this Rovers side this season but picking up where we left off on Tuesday, I have no doubt it would bring another much needed 3 points. Finishing the season with an undefeated run would certainly leave the fans with a degree of optimism for next season and it needs to happen after being the promised reaction after the Bolton, Burnley & Bournemouth disappointments. One win doesn't get Gaz a get out of jail free card, he needs to keep this up and Wednesday will be a real test of our steel.

My prediction: 2-1 Rovers.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big game, results permitting... We could be a point off the playoffs.

Sheffield Wednesday have had a decent season considering their start and manager Stuart Gray has worked a minor miracle over the other side of the Pennines. As we discovered at Ewood, Wednesday are very difficult team to break down, they're quick also, particularly our on the wings so I don't think Spurr and Keane will be able to get forward quite as easy as they did against QPR. Wednesday will also be a little lighter up front with Leon Best being ineligible after a mini resurgence in form from the unwanted & overpaid Rovers forward.

Rovers are coming into this game in good form, the QPR performance was probably the best of the season so far. Rudy and Conway are in blistering form, if we are to hurt them, it is likely that it will be by using those two. On Tuesday, Rovers looked like a team with some identity and style of play (for once), pressing high up the field has been key to picking up points recently and that needs to continue this weekend.

Bowyer could have something of a selection headache with Evans, Lowe, Williamson and Dunn all pushing for starting places in Rovers central areas but it's most likely that Gaz will stick with a winning side (understandably).

This one is a tough one to predict... As is every Rovers fixture considering we're the most inconsistent side in this league. Bowyer still has some convincing to do amongst some of the Rovers faithful, I'm sure the QPR performance helped his cause to some extent but the fans have yet to see that Rovers are capable of putting a run together that can show our potential in this league. Taking this into account, you would expect Rovers to get a point on Saturday but like we've being saying all season, 3 points are all that matter in this league as it's a league we need to get out of.

I'm trying not to let the rather impressive QPR display fool me, I've learned you can't trust to expect anything from this Rovers side this season but picking up where we left off on Tuesday, I have no doubt it would bring another much needed 3 points. Finishing the season with an undefeated run would certainly leave the fans with a degree of optimism for next season and it needs to happen after being the promised reaction after the Bolton, Burnley & Bournemouth disappointments. One win doesn't get Gaz a get out of jail free card, he needs to keep this up and Wednesday will be a real test of our steel.

My prediction: 2-1 Rovers.

I won't be there. Please remember this is a very emotive game. I was driving down to see friends in Birmingham when I heard the news of the impending problems at the Leppings Lane End 25 years ago. We are there Sat, we all kick off at 3.07, I think that is when the game was stopped. Please, please all that go, remember. We need to win, it is ironic we are the opponents. Just remember?

I won't be there. Please remember this is a very emotive game. I was driving down to see friends in Birmingham when I heard the news of the impending problems at the Leppings Lane End 25 years ago. We are there Sat, we all kick off at 3.07, I think that is when the game was stopped. Please, please all that go, remember. We need to win, it is ironic we are the opponents. Just remember?

And respect?

Be massive to get a win here, very interested to see how GB approaches this one. We've cocked up every time we've been in a good position to gain ground. Probably going to this so I expect to come back frustrated again along with about 1300 others.

Weds 2 Rovers 1

• Backroom

No reason not to push on, if you want to go up you need to win games like this

Normally this is the kind of chance we don't take but I think we may have a chance

1-2 Rhodes x 2

Well come the final whistle on Saturday a win would see us :

Best case - 1 point off the play offs

Worst case - 2 points off the play offs

This is due to Reading not playing till Monday evening (Leicester at home)

Optimistic but as Neal rightly says for as long as I can remember Rovers have a habit of letting you down.

This is the sort of game we've lost countless times this season, dare I be optimistic?

2-2 after being 2-0 up, Lowe & Rudy amongst the goals and the Bowyer thread reading like a manic depressives groundhog day diary.

NB. Will quite happily be heavily quoted if we win though!

I wouldn't worry the Liverpool mafia in the media and Liverpool fans in general won't let us forget it. Football has to stop for this anniversary just because it was Liverpool. We never have these sort of memorials for those who died at Valley Parade or Burnden Park are these fans lives classed a less valuable as they supported smaller clubs and Liverpool themselves never mark the stain on them and English football that is Heysel.

On the game itself it will be a very tough game as Stuart Gray has done a fantastic job since taking over from Dave Jones. I'm going 1-1 Rhodes with a late equaliser. Wasn't going to go to this but after the last two good results and performances I purchased my ticket on Wednesday morning, hoping that a few more have done this as well and that we can take a good following over there.

A pretty unbiased assessment of the game ahead, with a 2-2 prediction probably being about right due to our inconsistent season. The game at Ewood, when we were expected to push on, was utter tosh. I remember one of their wingers, ( think it was Michail Antonio?) causing our full back a few problems that day, and practically walking it into our box on several occasions. Then again, that's happened countless times this season!

Anyhow, I'll be heading across the Pennines to see us hopefully take all 3 points though, as well as ticking Hillsborough off my 92 list. Whatever the outcome, I can see there being goals.

I think the best case scenario is 2 points away from 6th at 5pm tomorrow.

Let's hope Leicester have sobered up for this evening!

Realistically, there is little chance of all the sides between us and 6th place slipping up.

If we win tomorrow I think we can be considered contenders but would then probably still have to win every game until the end of the season.

Let's just hope we finish strongly.

Really good point. For a lot of people this will be more than a football match and it could be the Bolton Muamba game all over again.

The poignancy at Hillsborough will be matched only at Anfield. In a quirk of fate they are both rota'd at home. Liverpool will do it for the 96 and probably play their hearts out. Once due respects are paid, Rovers have to try to shut all of that out and remain professional, or it could be a miserable but season ending 0-0.

Really good point. For a lot of people this will be more than a football match and it could be the Bolton Muamba game all over again.

It crossed my mind too Stuart. Wasn't that a Kean masterstroke when we had the option not to play the match? Either way, i can see our lads choking under the emotion of the occassion. I hope not, but it really wouldn't surprise me if we did.

The poignancy at Hillsborough will be matched only at Anfield. In a quirk of fate they are both rota'd at home. Liverpool will do it for the 96 and probably play their hearts out. Once due respects are paid, Rovers have to try to shut all of that out and remain professional, or it could be a miserable but season ending 0-0.

Definitely an arguable theory but maybe the difference is that neither team was involved that day, (granted it was at their ground), so it should be the same for both sides.

Certainly can't be used as an excuse.

I mentioned it in the QPR thread but let's not forget that we haven't won 3 league games on the trot for years. Isn't it something like 2009 since we did it? If we can overcome that phychological barrier this weekend then you never know. Until then...

Edit - it was actually in 2008 under Hughes when we beat Bolton away 2-1. Still had a cup loss in between mind.

He can't really run

I know people often say this about Dunny but he did look heavy on Tuesday. Possibly because he was put on as a forward and had to run around but It did show his heaviness.

I would probably start with the same side and bring on at half time if it's 0-0

Liverpool don't play until Sunday (at the bizarre time of 13.37) so all the focus will be at Hillsborough.

Wednesday have a centre back crisis with only one fit player, Miguel Llera who is 34 and has no pace, according to my Wednesday supporting mates. They are also petrified of Rhodes, who scored 4 against them at Hillsborough for Huddersfield.

I'll be in the South Stand with my mates, hopefully being constantly challenged to keep quiet as the goals go in.

Archived