BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday v Rovers

Neal

Was it not Jason Lowe who played Wednesday in for their third goal ?

The clearance ricocheted off him and into the path of the Wednesday player. Funny how you don't have anything to say about his fine cross for the third.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:wub::wub:

Why the love affair with Dann? Breaking up is hard and it hurts I know, but you've just got to try and get over him. :tu:

For the record.... Dann was fairly ordinary and Dann couldn't wait to leave.

Dann should never have been sold if we had any ambitions if promotion, it's been plainly obvious we've missed him

The clearance ricocheted off him and into the path of the Wednesday player. Funny how you don't have anything to say about his fine cross for the third.

I know thats why I deleted the post.

Yet more points flushed down the toilet in injury time because we are unable to hold onto a lead. While I accept that these things happen in football, we have been consistently guilty of this all season. Does anyone know how many points we have lost from conceding goals in injury time, when we have been in a winning position?

If you added all of them up, I imagine that we would be sitting comfortably in the playoffs. Then again if my aunty had rollocks she'd be my uncle.

It's just so frustrating for this to happen time and time again.

You're dates are a little out there den - if you're like me probably age playing tricks. ^_^ Furphy was here for two and a half seasons before he was head hunted by First Division Sheffield United. Furphy had joined the Rovers in the summer of 1971 after the Rovers had been relegated. Jack Marshall left the club in February 1967 following Eddie Quigley's arrival as assistant manager the previous Autumn. Quigley took over from Marshall and remained manager until October 1970. At that point he and Johnny Carey, the club's administrative manager, swapped roles in an attempt to avoid relegation. When it didn't work Bill Bancroft, a very young chairman, decided he wanted to work with a younger, tracksuit manager rather than the traditional type of manager and hence the appointment of Furphy. Quigley had been given time and money - remember the unheard of outlay of £100,000 in the summer of 1969 on Ken Knighton, Allan Hunter and Brian Hill?

As for Bowyer and the present coaching staff, I suspect that our future is going to rely very much on developing young players. Sadly, many of those in this season's Under-18 and Under-21 team have proved disappointing and in recent weeks we have had a number of younger players being brought in to play on trial - like the two Sunderland lads who played in the final two Under-21 League fixtures. In many ways Bowyer and his staff are ideal for this type of situation with their youth coaching backgrounds. It's not going to be a quick fix. Indeed, I think we have a long, hard road ahead, but the past few games have restored my enthusiasm and I really do believe that we will be challenging for the play-offs next season.

Thanks for that Parson. Yep, my memory is terrible nowadays. You and Tyrone are the benchmarks for remembering all things from the distant past. :) Still, Furphy was here a few months longer than I said. I'm just trying to point out that "stability" (sorry Al) with managers has and never will be the norm with clubs like ours. The argument has to be about results. Maybe the future will be about the academy lads, but if it is then 2 points:

Firstly it will mean that Bowyer has failed and we should have gone for a better manager in the first place...

And secondly, I don't think the finances would see us last long enough to reach that position.

I think we have also scored a lot of late goals to rescue points as well though. I recall us scoring late against Watford, Millwall, Blackpool, to name a few.

Whoa.... Don't be looking at both sides of a coin, you'll upset the regulars! haha

But in all seriousness, I agree. We have under performed in matches, and over performed in others. Never consistent. The last 8 games have at least shown a consistent want to "not get beat", and who ever is in charge going forward needs that mentality to get promoted. 3 points at home, 1 point away is promotion form in this league - can we do it for 40 games in a row? No idea.

I think we have also scored a lot of late goals to rescue points as well though. I recall us scoring late against Watford, Millwall, Blackpool, to name a few.

Stabilityman to the rescue. "Defender of the Equilibrium"

EB1093E9-ED22-49E7-B1A1-DA781BCD1060.jpg

:D

This is sure to disappoint a number on here but watching the video Spurr immediately and vehemently rounded on Keane and not Lowe.

This is sure to disappoint a number on here but watching the video Spurr immediately and vehemently rounded on Keane and not Lowe.

Its happened two or three times this season with Jason providing an assist to his oppo. Bolton away comes to mind as one.

Any manger should be putting conditions in place to make sure that hes always facing the opponents goal and not his, to eliminate any negativity that could result from facing that way one would have thought to providing a solution.

Its happened two or three times this season with Jason providing an assist to his oppo. Bolton away comes to mind as one.

Any manger should be putting conditions in place to make sure that hes always facing the opponents goal and not his, to eliminate any negativity that could result from facing that way one would have thought to providing a solution.

God what a hopeless post :lol:

Whilst we are blaming Lowe for the ball hitting him why don't we also have a go at Kilgallon for not bringing the ball down when he blocked it just half a second earlier. Surely he should have trapped the ball, driven out of the area and begun a counter attack for us to make it 4-2. Or is my hate for a particular player clouding my judgement of the actual scenario?

What did you make of our third goal Jal? Anything to say about it? Any praise to give to any particular player?

Dithering defending has been a problem all season whoever has worn the shirts. What do they do on this in flipping training ? In the good old Sunday morning pub league style "put a ###### name on it". Lack of general vocal leaders as usual.

God what a hopeless post :lol:

Whilst we are blaming Lowe for the ball hitting him why don't we also have a go at Kilgallon for not bringing the ball down when he blocked it just half a second earlier. Surely he should have trapped the ball, driven out of the area and begun a counter attack for us to make it 4-2. Or is my hate for a particular player clouding my judgement of the actual scenario?

What did you make of our third goal Jal? Anything to say about it? Any praise to give to any particular player?

If you've ever played football and been under pressure it doesnt help you, if your own player is always running towards you as you clear the ball. You want your team mates to be in space to pass to.

As for the post was only offering a minor option to the problem.

If you've ever played football and been under pressure it doesn't help you, if your own player is always running towards you as you clear the ball. You want your team mates to be in space to pass to.

As for the post was only offering a minor option to the problem.

I've played football (not that it really matters for this debate) and when the other team is attacking I would be expecting my defensive midfielder to be facing the goal as it would be his role to help the defence. As it is, it's a long ball that Hanley completely misses, takes a deflection of Kilgallon and hits him from 10 feet away - not much he can do about it, positionally he was fine, working back towards the edge of the box as soon as the ball goes over his head.

As for moving into space - if in that situation my defensive midfielder had @#/? off into 'space' when it's the last minute, we're defending a 3-2 lead, and the ball is not in our possession, I would have gone absolutely ballistic.

Your 'minor option' to the problem is to advise your defensive midfielder to constantly face the opposition goal regardless of whether the ball has just been punted over his head?

Blaming him for that goal is laughable and just reeks of a select few fans that 1. have a completely unjust and irrational hate of JL 2. Don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to a game of football. ( I understand that you deleted your earlier post so this isn't directed solely at you).

I'm not Lowe's biggest fan. I don't mind him, I don't love him - but all of this constant criticism and sniping is completely unjust. Stuart particularly surprises me. God forbid anyone even utter the fact that there might be a flaw in Rhodes' game, but as soon as Lowe has a decent game (QPR) he's still @#/?, despite everyone else seeing a completely different performance. At least those that have criticised Rhodes have also heaped praise on him when it has been deserved.

Stuart particularly surprises me. God forbid anyone even utter the fact that there might be a flaw in Rhodes' game, but as soon as Lowe has a decent game (QPR) he's still @#/?, despite everyone else seeing a completely different performance. At least those that have criticised Rhodes have also heaped praise on him when it has been deserved.

I could say exactly the same with the players in reverse though.

I still think that there is more of an argument to say that Rhodes does his job than Lowe does. Although on several occasions I have posted about his attributes but this is always overlooked or ignored. I have even written mid length posts explaining my reasoning but I only get rounded on when I make a short quip.

Conversely, the anti-Rhodes commenters will ONLY ever accept that he 'does score goals' and even then only begrudgingly, with a 'take away his goals and what do you have' derisory comment. This is the guy that actually excites fans, remember. You know, the one who wins all of the fan awards.

I try to only comment on what I've seen myself, or what the stats draw. Would we have got the momentum for an 8 game unbeaten run if Lowe hadn't been injured, for instance? Previous form suggests not.

What upsets me though (aside from the blind support of Lowe because he is 'home grown') is that Bowyer will play Lowe EVEN WHEN we have EVERY SINGLE player fit, in EVERY GAME. That means a preference for a negative style of play, with the game taking place in our own half and a return to the cautious 1-0 approach that marked most of Bowyer's season. It also means a return to the gap between the midfield and Rhodes, which exposes Rhodes weaknesses in order to play to Lowe's 'strengths' - which I find frustrating. Ludicrous even.

Now, we've scored 5 and conceded 3 on the last two games, unbeaten, so let's see if this means we have carried Lowe (I certainly think we did against QPR) or if Bowyer has found a system to address this.

I don't rate Lowe and complain about his inclusion because I think we need to be promoted sooner rather than later. However, he is 22 and may improve. As long as we have the time to wait then finishing 7th or below for the next few season will mean we have won some and lost some, and competed.

Maybe he will become the player all of his fans seem to think he already is.

Maybe we have loads of time to find out.

That can only mean to play him in the goals! I dont think you've ever kicked a ball in your life have you Jal?

Fair point and those points have been most welcome, but we are supposed to score goals not concede them! It just seems like we have given away a lot of points because of last minute goals and continually have failed to learn the lesson of defending until the death. This would point to mental weakness (and bad defending) and a lack of characters on the field to drag us through games.

I could say exactly the same with the players in reverse though.

I still think that there is more of an argument to say that Rhodes does his job than Lowe does. Although on several occasions I have posted about his attributes but this is always overlooked or ignored. I have even written mid length posts explaining my reasoning but I only get rounded on when I make a short quip.

Conversely, the anti-Rhodes commenters will ONLY ever accept that he 'does score goals' and even then only begrudgingly, with a 'take away his goals and what do you have' derisory comment. This is the guy that actually excites fans, remember. You know, the one who wins all of the fan awards.

I try to only comment on what I've seen myself, or what the stats draw. Would we have got the momentum for an 8 game unbeaten run if Lowe hadn't been injured, for instance? Previous form suggests not.

What upsets me though (aside from the blind support of Lowe because he is 'home grown') is that Bowyer will play Lowe EVEN WHEN we have EVERY SINGLE player fit, in EVERY GAME. That means a preference for a negative style of play, with the game taking place in our own half and a return to the cautious 1-0 approach that marked most of Bowyer's season. It also means a return to the gap between the midfield and Rhodes, which exposes Rhodes weaknesses in order to play to Lowe's 'strengths' - which I find frustrating. Ludicrous even.

Now, we've scored 5 and conceded 3 on the last two games, unbeaten, so let's see if this means we have carried Lowe (I certainly think we did against QPR) or if Bowyer has found a system to address this.

I don't rate Lowe and complain about his inclusion because I think we need to be promoted sooner rather than later. However, he is 22 and may improve. As long as we have the time to wait then finishing 7th or below for the next few season will mean we have won some and lost some, and competed.

Maybe he will become the player all of his fans seem to think he already is.

Maybe we have loads of time to find out.

Interesting read Stuart, good to hear your thoughts.

I'll reserve my judgement on Lowe. I do think he can offer something and I don't necessarily think the squad carry him. He does the dirty work and I would hazard a guess that his team mates do like having him in the team as an added protection. Would he start if our full squad was fit and available for selection? Probably not right now because Williamson is playing well and Evans is good enough to merit a starting place. That doesn't mean I don't value Lowe's contributions.

We've done Rhodes to death now ^_^ Great finisher who needs to add more to his all-round game etc etc.... he is a fans favourite for obvious reasons and therefore will win player of the year. Don't forget though; probably 70% of those that vote know the square root of @#/? all about football and so he is the obvious choice because he scores and people talk about him. Be interesting to see who wins Players Player - will we find out who wins that?

That can only mean to play him in the goals! I dont think you've ever kicked a ball in your life have you Jal?

Maybe you've come up with the answer Theno he cant surely be any worse in the nets than those two early season keepers that Rovers had.

Just for anyone who may be interested Rovers are 11th at the min in the up to date championship away following chart with an ave following of 1,222. Not bad and just about reflects the league really.

Would he start if our full squad was fit and available for selection? Probably not right now because Williamson is playing well and Evans is good enough to merit a starting place.

This is where we both agree and disagree - and why I am so frustrated.

I too think Williamson and Evans would be the stronger CM pairing. But I believe that Bowyer will pick Lowe in CM every time, ahead of those two.

If I though Lowe was third in the pecking order, I would be saying 'fair enough' but I genuinely don't think he is.

This is where we both agree and disagree - and why I am so frustrated.

I too think Williamson and Evans would be the stronger CM pairing. But I believe that Bowyer will pick Lowe in CM every time, ahead of those two.

If I though Lowe was third in the pecking order, I would be saying 'fair enough' but I genuinely don't think he is.

Though I believe that Williamson has had a couple of decent games recently - IMO he is just too slow and apt to lose the ball in key areas. IMO Lowe and Evans everytime - or at least until GB decides he trusts Cairney to play more centrally (then it would be horses for courses - as there are some teams where I would prefer Cairney out wide).

Archived