BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season Tickets and Stand Closures

For me it would be simple - close BE Upper - and the whole of the DE (unless large away support). Give away support the JW Lower at the DE.

Though it is right that the club look at all cost saving measures - I am sure getting one of the high paid players that never play (e.g. Best or DJ) off the books would make more difference to the balance sheet than a few match day officials (plus insurance etc.)

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get in the top 6 all season, be pushing for the top 2 spots from February onwards and fans will return. It's that simple.

If we looked like a good, consistent team and we had a realistic chance of achieving something then the crowds will go up.

Despite having a season ticket, I missed the Brighton and the Ipswich games out of choice. Had we been in serious contention for promotion I probably would have made both!

For every 10 people who say they don't go because of the Venkys, 5 of them probably really doesn't go because we are not winning against poor quality teams.

A sad state of affairs but I suspect that's down to the fact that we aren't in the PL anymore. Even free tickets to "rubbish Rovers" probably wouldn't persuade them when they likely know City and Chelsea's entire squad.

My lad is definitely in the minority in his class. Not only does he know the manager's name and could pick our best first XI and subs but he understands the concept of only having one home town club and sticking with them through the bad times. I just hope, for his sake, that there will be some good times to come.

That's exactly how it was for us in the late 60's early 70's.The difference between a real and a plastic fan etc. They do say I am a football fascist though....

.However, I refuse to forget the disgraceful way we got to this position. It is nothing like the last time.

Glen, didn't Shaw say that the Darwen End was not being considered for closure in the recent Action Group meeting?

The full minutes of the March meeting with the club are here:

http://www.brfcactiongroup.co.uk/club-meeting-minutes-2/31st-march-2014/

Re Season tickets

5. Season Ticket Details

The group requested an update on plans for the 2014/15 season ticket offer. The club explained that discussions where already under way however no final decision will be made until it is confirmed which league the club will be playing in next season. Mr Shaw felt that any increase in season ticket prices would be minimal and that the ‘Premier League Pledge’ would be continued. Mr Shaw is of the belief that the atmosphere could be improved if fans are not spread out around the stadium however he was keen to state that contrary to rumours the club had no plans to shut down the Darwen End for home supporters.

I would imagine that ant area to be closed could well be the Blackburn End Upper, with the family stand moved elsewhere, there is also a school of thought that youngsters in a family stand should be closer to the pitch, for better interaction with the game and players, which could be done if upper tier was closed.

That's great, thanks.

The BBE upper has been considered for closure before and would be the sensible choice as there is plenty of room elsewhere to create a family area. Failing that the JW stand towards the DE (particularly the lower) is very sparse and people there could easily be relocated to a similar spot in the other half.

Closing the Darwen End would be ridiculous... A good vocal backing disbanded would dilute the overall atmosphere even further.

I have enjoyed the family stand for many years, I like the view behind our goal 2nd half invariably, me and my son go to the Strikers lounge, which I think is a cracking idea. I don't know where we could be relocated - I don't want to watch the game from JW lower, I've had a ST in the JW upper, which is good, but too expensive. It's sad, that we are talking about 10-12,000 turning up in a 31,000 seater stadium.

The reason many aren't going is because we are where we are......we are not in the PL, don't care about the dark lords, just lost interest because we aren't playing the best. I like the idea of a flat price, wherever you are, but the club needs to focus on a policy of keeping the singers together - but that involves some thought & planning, ain't going to happen.

it would be a pity if Strikers closed as its a very well used facility along with a new room that has recently opened in their...we (me and the kids) recently moved from the family stand because of the 'view' and only cost £30 to upgrade for the rest of the season.

ST prices are going to have to go up at some point, esp if we aren't up by the time the parachute payments run out - £300 for BBE, DE and Riverside and £400 for the JW would seem reasonable enough to me and as the parachute payments run out, ST/gate money is going to play a more important part of the overall turnover of the club.

Glen, didn't Shaw say that the Darwen End was not being considered for closure in the recent Action Group meeting?

Yes he did say that this wasn't under discussion.

Nothing stopping them making a family enclosure in the BBE lower or JW upper.

This option i believe has been/ is being discussed

it would be a pity if Strikers closed as its a very well used facility along with a new room that has recently opened in their...we (me and the kids) recently moved from the family stand because of the 'view' and only cost £30 to upgrade for the rest of the season.

ST prices are going to have to go up at some point, esp if we aren't up by the time the parachute payments run out - £300 for BBE, DE and Riverside and £400 for the JW would seem reasonable enough to me and as the parachute payments run out, ST/gate money is going to play a more important part of the overall turnover of the club.

The strikers lounge is a great facility, and the sensory room is fantastic. I think the family stand would work well in JW Lower, as for increrases I think the club will go for small amounts of £10 - £15 year on year rather than a bigger increase in one hit.

I very much doubt we could fill the ground for free at the moment and to attempt to do so free or at very low cost simply devalues the product. As a sales manager I can promise you valuing a product incorrectly has an huge impact on sales. Free or cheap only represents a good deal when the product has an established high value.

As for free for kids I'm afraid this definetely creates support but doesn't guarantee a future crowd. As my kids grew up the family enjoyed fantastic concessions under JWs reign. My three boys plus our neighbour's son attended every game with me over a period of 15/16 years. All four are dedicated Rovers but three no longer go as they have left the area. I could list +/- 25 young adults of my kids age who grew up watching Rovers but no longer attend. Every one a Rover but all have left the area.

I recall posting about this 10 or more years ago. It was a generous but always flawed initiative by JW. In today's fluid society building a regular fan base in this way is very unlikely to succeed.

Sorry, Paul. I'm not with you on this one. In normal economic terms, we are quality takers. Buy something, get something. Walk away. End of connection. As organisational members, effectively, we are also quality makers. We add quality to the product. The more, the better; the more passion we add, the better etc. we hang around. We are part of the product.

The Germans get this. Their model isn't driven by cheap prices so much but by making sure the fans feel part of the club. Because at the end of the day they are the club. This is why their attendances are so high. At all costs, make sure the fans stick around.

We also don't need to give tickets away as an investment in the fanbase of the future. We need people in the ground now. As many as possible. If the fans are happy, they'll spend when they are in there.

I also don't follow Glen's logic of 'I'd be prepared to pay whatever'. Sorry, mate. I can't.

Claire's idea is spot on. Fans could run parts of match days better than the club. And why shouldn't they. We are fans and know what other fans want. Look at what Luton are doing, for instance. They invite selected fans into the post-match on-pitch huddle. How much does that cost? Nowt. And the fans feel involved.

My concern is the micromanagement of the club from thousands of miles away by unimaginative bosses.

Come on, Venky's. Get the fans engaged. Give us a voice. If you'd been at Hillsborough on Saturday for once you might have heard it.

Sorry, Paul. I'm not with you on this one. In normal economic terms, we are quality takers. Buy something, get something. Walk away. End of connection. As organisational members, effectively, we are also quality makers. We add quality to the product. The more, the better; the more passion we add, the better etc. we hang around. We are part of the product.

The Germans get this. Their model isn't driven by cheap prices so much but by making sure the fans feel part of the club. Because at the end of the day they are the club. This is why their attendances are so high. At all costs, make sure the fans stick around.

We also don't need to give tickets away as an investment in the fanbase of the future. We need people in the ground now. As many as possible. If the fans are happy, they'll spend when they are in there.

I also don't follow Glen's logic of 'I'd be prepared to pay whatever'. Sorry, mate. I can't.

Claire's idea is spot on. Fans could run parts of match days better than the club. And why shouldn't they. We are fans and know what other fans want. Look at what Luton are doing, for instance. They invite selected fans into the post-match on-pitch huddle. How much does that cost? Nowt. And the fans feel involved.

My concern is the micromanagement of the club from thousands of miles away by unimaginative bosses.

Come on, Venky's. Get the fans engaged. Give us a voice. If you'd been at Hillsborough on Saturday for once you might have heard it.

Excellent post. Especially paragraph 2.

So let me get this right.

We're paying Leon Best, David Goodwillie, DJ Campbell and Dickson Etuhu more than £100k A WEEK.

We're supposedly in the process of giving Jordan Rhodes a longer/bigger contract.

We spent an estimated £1 million in January on Cairney/Gestede/Conway.

We spent an estimated £1 million in the summer on Evans/Marshall.

And we're looking at closing parts of the stadium down to save how much? A few grand per matchday?

Personally if there are going to be closures then for me I would offer this suggestion.

Top of both Darwen End and Blackburn end to be closed.

Away support be located to JW Lower Darwen End.

Family area lower Darwen End (left).

Close JW Upper (darwen end only).

Potentially revert Darwen End to standing and singing section right side.

In the event of a decent away following - all fans in darwen end can be moved to JW or Riverside.

We are not going to see massive away followings next season so it would definitely benefit us with away fans being on the side rather than behind the goals.

I've emailed the club about this and im awaiting a response... I honestly believe if we followed the "Dortmund" model of £80 season tickets for ALL age bands, we would more or less fill the home areas

Rubbish....

They could put them down to £50 and you will find they will not sell that many more. A lot of people have simply given up for many different reasons. Venkys, the negative vibe around the club for the past few years, money, or simply just not really being that bothered anymore.

I've missed the last 4 home games. 2 of them being midweek games and commute back from Manchester after work, and 2 weekend games I simply could not raise any ounce of motivation to go on the game.

Times are changing and changing quickly. Gone are the days when football was the first thing to think about on a Saturday afternoon. These days I don't even check who we are playing first if I commit to other plans. It would probably be the same if we were top of the league, mid table or rock bottom. It is not just happening at our club but at most clubs up and down the country. The bubble will soon burst and when it does most people will not really care anymore.

Archived