BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers scoring late and allowing later

Saturday's frustration compelled me to look at this seasons results with a mind towards how many goals have affected our games late.

We have scored 7 goals from the 85 minute mark and later( 4 from 85-90 and 3 in stoppage time)

The effect of our goals scored are that we tied Derby, Burnley, Blackpool(an OG by them), Watford and Millwall.the late goal against Brighton we scored was for lead but ultimately lead to tie.

We only won 1 game with a late goal and that was Leon Best in 89' in the opener against Millwall

We allowed 1 goal in 84' against Derby(resulted in tie)

We allowed 5 goals from 84'-90' 1 against Ipswich (which resulted in no effect as we were already losing) 1 against Millwall(resulted in no effect we were already winning 3-1 at time) 1 against Watford(which gave them the lead but we tied it as noted above in stoppage) 1 against Millwall (which allowed them to take lead before King tied in stoppage) and 1 which allowed Bright to draw with us

We allowed 4 goals in 90+'= 1 to Nottingham Forest(which we lost) 1 to Wigan(which we lost) 1 to Nottingham Forest (which had no effect as we were already losing) and 1 against Sheffield Weds( which gave them the tie)

so the late goals we scored allowed us to take 9 points (and could have been 11 if we had held on against Brighton)

However the late goals we allowed casued us to drop 8 points

it balanced out better than it felt when you compare what we gained by our late goals versus what we lost by allowing our late goals. However we surely would love those 8 dropped points right now. Be sitting ok with regards to playoffs for sure.

Thoughts?

I think you summed it it perfectly with the word frustrating. Another interesting stat would be how many points inept defending has cost us in giving penaltys away.

on a side note Wigan seem to win a penalty every week and it must have given them at least 15 points.

It's a bit like the old 'if my auntie had balls...' argument. Every team could point to goals they shouldn't have conceded.

The frustrating thing for me is more that they could have been avoided if the manager hadn't reverted to a negative style of play - sometimes from early in the first half - which has invited pressure, and seen us trying to cling on.

There have games that the teams in front of us have been there for the beating but the manager has been happy with a point because of who the opposition are (on paper).

Good piece of work though, FloRover. These things do take a bit of time to research. Kudos. :tu:

I think you summed it it perfectly with the word frustrating. Another interesting stat would be how many points inept defending has cost us in giving penaltys away.

on a side note Wigan seem to win a penalty every week and it must have given them at least 15 points.

Wigan appear to have plenty of quick players who attack with pace, we are much slower team.

Maybe this has something to do with it ?

Wigan appear to have plenty of quick players who attack with pace, we are much slower team.

Maybe this has something to do with it ?

that is correct but I was trying to say positive teams seem to win pens and teams that sit back seem to concede them.

To me it seems like GB doesn't have faith in his subs. I think theres been more than one example of him not using any or only 1 sub.

But why sign the likes of Varney and Feeney if he doesn't trust them to do a job? Also, why sign them when we're up @#/? creek finance wise. Doesn't make any sense.

Hope to God we haven't done a 'DJ' with either of them and they'll both clear off in the summer.

To me it seems like GB doesn't have faith in his subs. I think theres been more than one example of him not using any or only 1 sub.

Bowyer has used 3 subs in 30 matches

2 subs in 8 matches

1 sub in 4 matches

0 subs in zero matches(he has not had a match with zero subs so far this year)

Archived