BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is Bowyer Right To Have A Go At Fans ?

When was this column written? Rovers don't have anything to play for unless you believe in pie in the sky results. I'd love to know what odds you'd get at the bookies for an accumulator containing Burnley to beat Reading by 3, Rovers to beat Wigan by 4 and Forest beating Brighton. I'm guessing about 200/1.

So it is over and we didn't get in the play-offs, a feat that looked impossible all season because of our inability to win must-win games, and now is impossible because we didn't win 2 must-win games against Yeovil and Sheff Wednesday.

Bowyer's won me around a bit but if you look at our league position in comparison to our wage bill, instead of constantly looking at it in terms of good old stability (which basically means being better than Berg and Appleton), then he's hardly set the world alight. He'll have a smaller wage bill next season, will he get us in the play-offs then? If he doesn't then he'll have a smaller one the season after. Time isn't on our side, if he can produce a genuine promotion attempt next season fine, if we're gonna have another season of stability, not fine.

Excellent post - except for the bit in bold. I'm sure our wage bill should see us in the top 6.

For me, Bowyer has over-performed but the club has under-performed this season.

That is the dilemma.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He isn't wrong though is he. Look at the Bowyer out posts from back then.

Depends if the benchmark for success, and evaluating a manager is being in the mix for the playoffs. If it is (and this is where a lot of debate happens - finances vs undoing the devastation of the club, rookie manager vs talented team and great infrastructure etc.) then they would most likely be right. Looking very unlikely we'll get into the playoffs, and it's always been an outside chance at best.

• Backroom

Excellent post - except for the bit in bold. I'm sure our wage bill should see us in the top 6.

For me, Bowyer has over-performed but the club has under-performed this season.

That is the dilemma.

Another excellent post to follow it up! Well said.

How many managers in their FIRST season make this kind of turnaround? He isn't a world-beater of a manager but he's done about as well as could be expected and (in the transfer market) much more!

Another excellent post to follow it up! Well said.

How many managers in their FIRST season make this kind of turnaround? He isn't a world-beater of a manager but he's done about as well as could be expected and (in the transfer market) much more!

Loads. Big Sam made it in the same season as Paul Ince, Mark Hughes made it in the same season as Souness. Look at Pulis at Palace. Granted Rovers was a more difficult task than most (if we conveniently ignore than Eric Black hardly seemed to be struggling with it). But that means you let Bowyer off mediocre results at the end of last season. He'd been manager of Rovers for 13 games before a ball was kicked this season, how long does he actually need to get us prepared?

This season Venkys have done nothing to hamper him, he's been able to sign his own players and hasn't had anyone instrumental to the team leave, pre-season or in January. As throughout the season, I'm struggling to agree with the excuses made for him. He managed us under normal conditions and we'll likely finish 8th. Which personally I wouldn't have any problem with if we had the 8th biggest wage bill.

He's not far off for me, I just don't know how his supporters can crow proudly and wag their fingers disapprovingly of his critics. He's just about had an acceptable season.

Archived