BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers v Liverpool QF Replay - 8th April 2015

• Backroom

The players aren't good enough, yes we have a few that are championship quality, but in the main we've a very poor side.

When Williamson is the best midfield player we have you're struggling but he tries hard and gives his all. It's the worst side in 30yrs+ and all this "if a better manager was to come in" stuff is nonsence, they're poor players on poor wages mainly in a poor side.

VENKYS OUT

I waver on this point Gav, sometimes I think we just need better organisation and preparation - especially when you consider the squads of the teams above us. I'd say the top 4 are set apart from the rest of the division, but everybody else is in the same boat, squads filled with bang average players.

The difference between us and the teams above us (and below 4th) is coaching and management, imo. Brentford, Wolves and Ipswich are showing that a little intelligence in the dugout can go a long way in pushing an average team forward.

Of course, you've been too far more games this season than I have, so I'm not saying you're wrong at all. I just don't think, man for man, we're any worse than a lot of the teams ahead of us.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

The hyperbole this morning is outstanding - the telegraph says 'when once there was chickens on the pitch now stands Lions'

We did ok but we lost let's not rewrite history, Bolton put up as much of a fight as we did and without a daft red may have beat them.

A note to remember - if Wolves beat Birmingham and we fail to beat Reading our season (a season where promotion was the aim) is mathematically over with 5 games left. That is a truly pathetic attempt.

I'll never be able to be happy with defeat but I was proud of how we gave them a bit of a bloody nose over 2 ties.

When you come up against Sturridge, sterling, countinho, Henderson I have no problem with playing effectively a flat back 6 with holding midfielders it kept us level and in the game for nearly 3 hours of football vs liverpool but it's when we do similar things against "lesser" teams in the championship that bugs me.

Packed house vs top team 90 mins from wembley easy for players to get motivation and perform for that so I come back to games like bpool at home plus numerous others and ask if they aren't properly motivated for the league then why not and the buck stops with the manager.

Now the season is all over I really hope we can build for next season and whether that includes a new manager remains to be seen...

Obviously you missed the Full Members cup final in '87 whwn close on 30000 made the trip to Wembley and 22000 were never seen again until we were promoted to the Prem.... Oh! and the Monday night special in May 95 when the team paraded the Prem Trophy to a PACKED Ewood Park. Glory hunters is right.

Henley was embarrassingly bad last year at this time. Only fair Bowyer sidelined him whilst he built his confidence up. Criticise only where it's valid and deserving please tomphil.

Rubbish as per from you, how the hell can you build someones confidence up by sidelining in favour of playing a midfielder there or centre half even when they've played well Henley was thrown in and out of the side last season and yes was mostly poor leading to calls from me and others that he should be out on loan learning his trade. This season he was in and out again usually as a last resort. He's turned in some decent performances only to be pulled out again by the tinkerman to play his favs or his signings. Over recent months he's proved he's up to the task so should now be first choice.

shhhh tom its progress dont ya know

You're right Abbey it is progress. We aren't going to get back what we've lost overnight. It's going to be a long hard slog but there'll be several hundred fans at Reading on Saturday still supporting the team come what may. It may take years to return to the top flight, it may take decades, but at the end of the day it's still our club and you stick with it through good and bad in the belief that better times are going to come at some point. If you didn't have belief in your club then you might as well pack up and spend your time and money doing something else.

The hyperbole this morning is outstanding - the telegraph says 'when once there was chickens on the pitch now stands Lions'

We did ok but we lost let's not rewrite history, Bolton put up as much of a fight as we did and without a daft red may have beat them.

A note to remember - if Wolves beat Birmingham and we fail to beat Reading our season (a season where promotion was the aim) is mathematically over with 5 games left. That is a truly pathetic attempt.

I notice no one put their name to that piece so I bet a rough draft of it has been waiting to be released ever since Mr Myers walked through the door. It has a ring of 'snowballs for handshakes' about it.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/12879456.Blackburn_Rovers_may_have_lost_to_Liverpool_but_they_rediscovered_part_of_their_soul/?ref=mac

Chris "Flan" Flanaghan wrote it Tomphil

1 "Blackburn Rovers may have lost the match, but they had rediscovered a part of their soul."

2 "A sell-out crowd of 28,415 and the way supporters still cheered in defeat told you that progress has been made, that now there is hope."

3 "Promotion is still a major task that lies ahead. But after two years of rebuilding, fans believed in their team again."

4 "Where once there were chickens on the pitch at Ewood, now there were lions"

5 "The roars of the Rovers fans reached fever pitch in the second half after the introduction of Rudy Gestede from the bench. Victory seemed within their grasp at that point."

6 "Heather Small’s Proud belted out at the final whistle. It could not have been more apt. This felt more like the beginning of a recovery, than the end of a cup run."

Good Grief !!!!!!!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/12879456.Blackburn_Rovers_may_have_lost_to_Liverpool_but_they_rediscovered_part_of_their_soul/?ref=mac

1 "Blackburn Rovers may have lost the match, but they had rediscovered a part of their soul."

2 "A sell-out crowd of 28,415 and the way supporters still cheered in defeat told you that progress has been made, that now there is hope."

3 "Promotion is still a major task that lies ahead. But after two years of rebuilding, fans believed in their team again."

5 "The roars of the Rovers fans reached fever pitch in the second half after the introduction of Rudy Gestede from the bench. Victory seemed within their grasp at that point."

6 "Heather Small’s Proud belted out at the final whistle. It could not have been more apt. This felt more like the beginning of a recovery, than the end of a cup run."

Good Grief !!!!!!!

ah the dingle then.

The column in the paper has no name on it, over the top is an understatement. It's all built up now to roundly criticise the fans after about 12k (8.5) turn up v Millwall then it can all be the fans fault again as GB puts the poor performance down to the lack of crowd/atmosphere.

• Moderation Lead

ah the dingle then.

The column in the paper has no name on it, over the top is an understatement. It's all built up now to roundly criticise the fans after about 12k (8.5) turn up v Millwall then it can all be the fans fault again as GB puts the poor performance down to the lack of crowd/atmosphere.

Ain't he a Bolton fan?

And I just dont get the King obsession. There is a strange occurence with Rovers fans where injured players become world beaters purely through not playing and the rest of the team playing crap. Kalinic was the same and he couldnt trap a bag of cement but was lorded as the second coming of Paulo Rossi in his absence. Corry Evans became the irish Claude Makalele last season when injured even though when he's on the pitch he makes nicky reid and john millar seem dynamic

Bowyer had no option but to play Rhodes so the Lpool defence were able to push right up to the half way line and squeeze play into our half knowing that there was no chance that he would score a break away goal. King's mere presence would have forced them to play deeper, leave less space between them and Mignolet and therefore leave time and space for our midfield to operate in.

Rather surprised you needed that explaining.

To think many people on this forum called Henley prior to his recent up turn in form - and many also said Lowe wad our best bet for right back. IMO Henley struggles at times against the more physical play in the Championship - but has had a good run in the team lately.

Our two full backs at times look like frightened rabbits caught in headlights and played hurried and mistimed passes to often as a result. As far as I can see both are currently punching slightly above their natural weight. They are both one or two divisions too high for their ability and if we are to consider a promotion push need replacing with better.

Stunning effort from the players, really worked their socks off.

To me we lost the game after their goal when we switched to 4-4-2 with Rhodes and Gestede up front. Prior to this at least one of them was dropping back into the midfield to help out, more like a 4-4-1-1 but as soon as we went 4-4-2 there was far too much space in midfield and Liverpool were able to make their possession count. It was even more foolish given that it exposed Williamson's lack of speed, and along with Marshall and Cairney left us lightweight in midfield. At 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 we seemed to be having a bit more of the ball, but equally not allowing Liverpool too much either.

Encouraging to see such a great performance, Henley, Baptiste and Williamson particularly stood out. If we put that much effort in in the league, we'd be comfortably top 6.

We were giving more and more ground and possession and a Liverpool goal was imminent imo. Bowyer had to do something otherwise the knives would have been out for him not changing things. Putting Gestede on did redress that balance somewhat as the Liverpool CH's were for the first time of the night being outmuscled, although it did also and as a consequence open up play.

• Backroom

Good Grief !!!!!!!

:lol: wow. If you didn't know any better you'd assume this was satire.

• Moderation Lead

The sickbag gets even more full DE

Bowyer: Win it for Gerrarrrrrrrrrrrrrd !!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9795976/win-fa-cup-for-steven-gerrard-gary-bowyer-tells-liverpool

Answer should have been "I don't really care. All I care about is our remaining games"

Amarillo posted this in the GB thread, but I agree it's vomit-inducing.

Not sure about the glory hunters stuff. Yes more fans turned out last night, but they're Rovers fans alright, they're just not interested in watching poor players toil in a poor league under bonkers owners, and let's ne honest who can blame em.

Me!

How can you say that gav? A ST holder IS a Rovers fan the stayaways by definition can most definitely not be described in the same way. Stayaways / part time supporters / fleeting moments / glory hunters / bit part supporters call them what you want but they cannot come under the same description as the people that go week in week out. Im a ST holder but I don't go to away matches except once in a blue moon so I readily accept those who do are more committed than I am.

Just travelled 3000kms after a 0620 flt from Manchester this morning.

Well worth it! Really enjoyed a big match with the usual 'narrow' defeat.

Bowyer was right we needed a player to become a legend -it was nearly Eastwood at the end, whilst Rhodes took 5mn off his value with an offkey 'Berbatov' performance.

Shame...but the Town(and sub-region) still supports the 'concept'of our Club,even tho nobody has a good word for our Owners. If Mrs Desai has seen us win, I cannot remember it!

I think if King was available then it would be a very different result tonight.

But King was injured.

Bowyer needs to get pace into the side next season

King won't be here next season..

Good Grief !!!!!!!

OTT in the extreme but I'd take issue with point 6 in particular. Leaving the ground I felt incredibly sad that, not only was it the end of the cup run, but that it was the last really big game we'll see for a long time and the acceleration of our decline.

OTT in the extreme but I'd take issue with point 6 in particular. Leaving the ground I felt incredibly sad that, not only was it the end of the cup run, but that it was the last really big game we'll see for the a long time and the acceleration of our decline.

My thoughts exactly great to see Ewood packed but in the not too distant past this was a regular occurance

Me!

How can you say that gav? A ST holder IS a Rovers fan the stayaways by definition can most definitely not be described in the same way. Stayaways / part time supporters / fleeting moments / glory hunters / bit part supporters call them what you want but they cannot come under the same description as the people that go week in week out. Im a ST holder but I don't go to away matches except once in a blue moon so I readily accept those who do are more committed than I am.

You and I both gave up a few seasons back for differing reasons. If we'd have made a Wembley visit during that time I'd certainly have gone and I'd like to think you would have also because We're dyed in the wool Blue and White, like the extra fans last night.

So I can't call them because I'd have done the same.

Or sensible and pragmatic? ;)

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/12878259.Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_pays_tribute_to_efforts_of_players_and_fans_in_Liverpool_FA_Cup_loss/?ref=mac

Brenda Rogers is either very kind or blind with this quote

“Towards the end when we’d gone 1-0 up they were chucking everything at us but we defended fantastically.“

The last 10 minutes were the most disappointing on a decent evening (bar the result) as I felt we never ever had any urgency or put them under any pressure. Especially as the one dimensional and brainless temptation simply to to tw*t it up to Gestede was there and used prolifically. It was a damp squib final 10 minutes :(

Rubbish. Gestede introduced some panic. I also felt that Lambert caused more trouble to our CH's in 10 mins than Sturridge did for the almost the rest of the match. If Gestede and King leave and we can somehow get money for Rhodes after last nights no show then Lambert would be an excellent signing.

Archived