BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lancashire County 2016

Blackpool relegated with supporter unrest.

Wigan virtually likewise.

Burnley ever closer to relegation and the loss of key players and manager.

PNE within a whisker of promotion but only 9k bothered to turn out tonight.

BRFC sinking beneath a hate campaign being waged by it's own so called supporters. Please don't deny this as it's obvious reading just about every thread that sheer hatred for the club has replaced previous support. The reasons no longer matter, the ratchet is turning and I cannot see a way back for so many embittered fans people. The venkymob are obviously the current target and probably rightly so lets not kid ourselves the cancer had started long before they trapped up as illustrated with the growing hatred for the club and in particular The Walker Trust (is it any wonder they got out??? I expect the venkymob to follow suit and then who tf with a modicum of sense would be daft enough to step up to the ewood plate to be the next hate figure?) and illustrated perfectly by the anti-Allardyce hatred which was spreading like a bush fire before he was unwisely and rashly disposed of.

Effectively in a county of 1.5 million there would currently only be about 40k even bothered one way or the other and any success would soon seduce them. Thats just 2-3% of the population that might possibly regret losing their lame duck club!

I've pushed the merger option for years (to much criticism) as the only way forward for skint, small town clubs with a skint depressed support base and with no viable future in the modern world, but I've never seen such a lurch toward it as I am seeing now! FFP appears to be the final nail in the coffin as now there is not even any hope that an Uncle Jack might trap up again.

Seems to me that the Premier League gravy train has infiltrated the subconcious of very many and filled heads with unrealistic ambition so the logical option is to cut the various cords and form one financially viable and hopefully vibrant replacement in keeping with the modern world of football. So thats five prime town centre sites to sell, at least 4 training grounds (hopefully attracting planning) to fund one super stadium within a 15 min car drive of virtually all supporters, one training ground, one medical/physio facility, one squad of players. In the current climate of discontent I simply cannot see a downside.

The time is right but who has the might?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you kidding? I wouldn't wish that on any new club with a council that traditionally hinders the club rather than helps it and traffic chaos every home match. Jack made a mistake re-building it rather than finding somewhere better. It's more valuable for houses and the odd mosque or two.

As I said jim it would only affect 2-3% of the population of the county. No one appears to care very much anymore and most on here are proposing to not go to Ewood next season.

Even worse and a clear death knell is that kids aren't like we were. We supported the rovers because it was our town and we didn't have the white hot media influence that there is about now. These kids don't want losers so when we die out what then? Can I presume that you are not reading this board as much as you used to?

I can't see it happening. I understand the logic, it makes perfect sense and applies sound business principles to a problem. However this is football and when has logic ever been applied to football?

What I don't get, and I do agree with you, is there is on here a strong sense people want failure. I'm not sure hate is the right word. I don't come across it outside of the MB. As I read it for a section of posters the club can do absolutely nothing right and every club action is taken as an opportunity to kick the club as hard as possible. I want Venkys out but recognise they are the only current financial lifeline. I'd like better local club management but it isn't going to change in the near future.

Two recent examples being the well organised Liverpool ticketing and the potential Ticketmaster semi final tickets. Everyone got a reply ticket and everyone would have got a semi ticket - quickly and efficiently. I would suggest at least 95% were critical of arrangements which proved to work well.

So much is wrong, so much damage has been wrought by our owners over the recent years. I can only presume the supporters who appear to revel in kicking the club are actually venting their anger and frustration on the thing they love as the real target is too remote for there to be any impact.

I can only imagine if club management take BRFCC as a barometer of fans views they must wonder if the club will ever been seen to make a correct decision again in the eyes of some.

Can't really see any examples of regional mergers of clubs over the last 100 years or so. Inverness did it to great success but that was 2 teams from the same town. Are there any precedents out there?

I think this would replace 4 or 5 middling clubs with 1 and the rest of the fans would drfit of and support more established clubs or go off and do something else.

Older Rovers supporters were jabbering on about this 50 years ago. Yes, there are too many clubs in Lancashire and one or two may disappear over the next 50 years but they won't merge into a new entity. It was a non-starter then and it's a non-starter now.

I can't see it happening. I understand the logic, it makes perfect sense and applies sound business principles to a problem. However this is football and when has logic ever been applied to football?

What I don't get, and I do agree with you, is there is on here a strong sense people want failure. I'm not sure hate is the right word. I don't come across it outside of the MB. As I read it for a section of posters the club can do absolutely nothing right and every club action is taken as an opportunity to kick the club as hard as possible. I want Venkys out but recognise they are the only current financial lifeline. I'd like better local club management but it isn't going to change in the near future.

Two recent examples being the well organised Liverpool ticketing and the potential Ticketmaster semi final tickets. Everyone got a reply ticket and everyone would have got a semi ticket - quickly and efficiently. I would suggest at least 95% were critical of arrangements which proved to work well.

So much is wrong, so much damage has been wrought by our owners over the recent years. I can only presume the supporters who appear to revel in kicking the club are actually venting their anger and frustration on the thing they love as the real target is too remote for there to be any impact.

I can only imagine if club management take BRFCC as a barometer of fans views they must wonder if the club will ever been seen to make a correct decision again in the eyes of some.

rather watch come dine with me.

Looking forward to the Lancashire United v Lancashire County derby already.

Lancashire clubs would rather go under and disappear than merge. The whole concept is bilge.

One good considered reply and a whole raft of stupid knee jerk ones (nothing personal I could have picked three from a number) which bring absolutely nothing of value to the debate whatsoever.

If you have nothing of value to add to the debate other than glib or ignorant comment then just say nowt. You won't embarrass yourselves and you can simply sit on your hands and watch whilst local football goes down the pan.

yesterdays post was to slate fans who are moaning and the word "churlish " was bandied about. The moaning was aimed at fans killing the club yet this idea wants to kill the illustrious history of 6 or 7 clubs.

Think of it as euthanasia abbey. A mercy killing for 150 year old outdated and outmoded industries with an all new, vibrant and shiny natural successor rising from the ashes.

I can categorically say that all Lancs clubs will still be in the football league when we are all pushing up daisies

What makes you say that? And please don't say 'Cos they always have'.

Theno talks about fans hating the club then promotes the idea of disbanding...stirr that pot fella.

:thumbs up:

tbh Paul has picked up on it too. The hatred and desire for the club to fail is tangible these days. Some of the worst critics don't even go to ewood anymore now that the club needs them more than it ever has done for the previous 25 years ffs! They've abandoned it so why they feel that their opinion should even be considered is beyond me.

Can't really see any examples of regional mergers of clubs over the last 100 years or so. Inverness did it to great success but that was 2 teams from the same town. Are there any precedents out there?

I think this would replace 4 or 5 middling clubs with 1 and the rest of the fans would drfit of and support more established clubs or go off and do something else.

AS confucious said ' the journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step'.

4/5 loss making businesses replaced by one solvent one. Obvious sense in that.

Older Rovers supporters were jabbering on about this 50 years ago. Yes, there are too many clubs in Lancashire and one or two may disappear over the next 50 years but they won't merge into a new entity. It was a non-starter then and it's a non-starter now.

Alright until one is your club. Wouldn't merger be a preferable alternative to extinction? Thats what it could easily come down to.

There is no point having a debate - it won't happen. You've embarrassed yourself and made yourself look silly by raising the subject again.

So why have you contributed? :wstu:

btw Nice to at last see you apply some grey matter to the debate all the same instead of vaccuos glib comment.

Blackpool relegated with supporter unrest.

Wigan virtually likewise.

Burnley ever closer to relegation and the loss of key players and manager.

PNE within a whisker of promotion but only 9k bothered to turn out tonight.

BRFC sinking.

Effectively in a county of 1.5 million there would currently only be about 40k even bothered one way or the other and any success would soon seduce them. Thats just 2-3% of the population that might possibly regret losing their lame duck club!

I've pushed the merger option for years (to much criticism) as the only way forward for skint, small town clubs with a skint depressed support base and with no viable future in the modern world, but I've never seen such a lurch toward it as I am seeing now! FFP appears to be the final nail in the coffin as now there is not even any hope that an Uncle Jack might trap up again.

Seems to me that the Premier League gravy train has infiltrated the subconcious of very many and filled heads with unrealistic ambition so the logical option is to cut the various cords and form one financially viable and hopefully vibrant replacement in keeping with the modern world of football. So thats five prime town centre sites to sell, at least 4 training grounds (hopefully attracting planning) to fund one super stadium within a 15 min car drive of virtually all supporters, one training ground, one medical/physio facility, one squad of players. In the current climate of discontent I simply cannot see a downside.

The time is right but who has the might?

I've had to remove the absolute garbage and utter bile from what is an otherwise interesting post.

Financial viability vs blind tribalism. (Not even hopeful tribalism).

Some can't even be convinced (or bother responding) to the notion of a Phoenix Rovers so I'm not sure you will get too many thumbs ups for this one.

It is certainly the logical way forward and needs some serious consideration. However, the starting point would need to be negotiated with the football league. They would lose four or five members and be replaced with one. I think it was much easier for Inverness Caledonian Thistle due to the smaller pyramid but I'll admit I don't know enough about their administration. But this kind of thing doesn't happen on a messageboard, it happens with someone with some resources and contacts calling a public meeting with the right parties.

It hardly matters (initially) what fans do or don't want.

It would need to start with the current boards at the clubs involved:

Rovers - our token board seemingly can't recommend a manager change let alone a merge. Someone would need to go rogue to make it happen.

Preston? No idea.

Wigan? Could fit timing-wise.

Blackpool? Not likely.

Bolton? Garside would certainly fancy a lead role I'd expect.

Burnley? They are top dogs now so why would they just because others are suffering like they have in the past.

Fan buy-in would be even harder work. I expect the RoversTrust are formed for one purpose but could those involved come to the table. Some might, some might not.

Most fans are unlikely to go for it as a concept, I'd suggest. Too much water under the bridge with tribal loyalties. Can't see it happening. Many would rather stop going to football first.

Lancashire County is not for us but for our great-grandchildren. Much like any politics, I'm sure nobody would want to step in to start a club at the bottom of the pyramid - without the necessary buy-in.

Whose up for starting negotiations? It would be very interesting to see someone like Dave Whelan rock up with the suggestion and arrange a meeting with the various club boards. He or someone else may have already done so - I several occasions but I don't think we'd hear anything about it for obvious reasons.

It's all in the "all too difficult" pile but if someone had the money and foresight they could maybe work their way up. But if any of the clubs had such a person (e.g. Eddie Davies) they'd look after their own club first.

Think of it as euthanasia abbey. A mercy killing for 150 year old outdated and outmoded industries with an all new, vibrant and shiny natural successor rising from the ashes.

What makes you say that? And please don't say 'Cos they always have'.

tbh Paul has picked up on it too. The hatred and desire for the club to fail is tangible these days. Some of the worst critics don't even go to ewood anymore now that the club needs them more than it ever has done for the previous 25 years ffs! They've abandoned it so why they feel that their opinion should even be considered is beyond me.

AS confucious said ' the journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step'.

4/5 loss making businesses replaced by one solvent one. Obvious sense in that.

I would be interested to know your thoughts behind the 'one solvent one' comment. The combined debt of Lancashire clubs is massive - where would that debt go? What about the employees (football and non football) of these clubs. Mergers of businesses usually means people losing jobs.

If you have been around football for a long time it is very rare that fans change allegiance, even if this was to be a newly formed club designed to attract fans as a new conglomerate. For me it is (and always) will be about the identity and uniqueness that Rovers have always given to me. I regularly get offers of tickets to see local games but I can't remember the last time I took the offer up. I like to get emotionally involved in the game and only Rovers give me that. A hybrid of others (particularly ones that I have disliked for many years) is, for me a complete turn off.

Archived