BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Notts County Friendly

A good test for the youngsters but apart from Raya, Platt, Wharton and Doyle, very few looked comfortable at this level as yet. I felt sorry for Faisall because he got little support from Mansell who looked completely out of his depth. Once, again, particularly in the first half he impressed with his quick feet, speed and his general enthusiasm. However, I suspect that Coyle won't sign him because physically he was eased off the ball far too often. O'Sullivan and Mahoney didn't put their stamp on the game as one might have expected. Indeed, I thought both looked pretty poor. O'Sullivan in particularly needs to be doing much better at this stage of his career. Johnson and Dunn ran the team with Rob Kelly chipping in with suggestions on the touchline. What Coyle will have learnt from this is that a number of our lads are still some way away from being ready for football at this level. Once again, Platt and Wharton looked decent in the centre of defence whilst Doyle was very comfortable at left-back.

Could Doyle make the 1st team this season?

Do you think Doyle would be a better than Hendrie?

I think both Doyle or Josh Askew could do better than Hendrie but doesn't mean that they are ready to be thrown in at this point. However, if we are gambling on youth I would rather gamble on Doyle than Hendrie from what I have seen of him so far.

Well if i knew this was going to be a reserve game, with the reserve team management In charge I wouldn't have gone.

You expect a few of the youngsters to get a run out, but that was ridiculous. The club should have put this on the U21 pre-season schedule as there was nothing first team about it!

Well if i knew this was going to be a reserve game, with the reserve team management In charge I wouldn't have gone.

You expect a few of the youngsters to get a run out, but that was ridiculous. The club should have put this on the U21 pre-season schedule as there was nothing first team about it!

I think you'll find that it is in the Under-21 pre-season schedule now! In fairness, Coyle gave an interview last night on the website in which he explained that he wouldn't risk any of the senior players and that the team would be made up of youngsters.

I missed all that as well. That's the price I've paid for refusing to read or listen to any of the propaganda coming out of the club or the official website every now and again miss some important info like its a reserves friendly. Oh well.

What's happened to Tomlinson?

Seem to recall him impressing greatly in pre season 12 months ago after which he never saw the light of day again?

Tomlinson had a poor season last year. Lost his way for a time, indeed, ended up back in the Under-18's. He recovered some form towards the end of last season and forced his way back into the Under-21 team. He picked up an injury early in pre-season and has been out until yesterday when he returned as the holding midfield player. I think the club still have high hopes from him and Hardcastle - who is injured at present. The reason for joining the EFL Trophy is to give the lads more opportunities like yesterday where they will come up against seasoned pros - the League One and League Two clubs have to play at least six first teamers in these Trophy games - as opposed to the less challenging atmosphere of Under-21 games. I thought the game yesterday was a good learning curve for some of our players and showed that a number still have some way to go to bridge that gap between Under-21 (or Under-23 football as it now is) and the senior game. They are also playing behind closed doors games against better opposition to aid their development.

Archived