BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Williams Is A Chairman Again...

Can we leave out the Allardyce stuff? We all know it wasnt sacking Allardyce that relegated us, it was having Venkys as owners, appointing Steve Kean and not replacing him with a proper manager.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we leave out the Allardyce stuff? We all know it wasnt sacking Allardyce that relegated us, it was having Venkys as owners, appointing Steve Kean and not replacing him with a proper manager.

That's the argument, Den ^^^^^ .... "It wasn't sacking Allardyce, it was that we didn't replace him properly."

Them canning Allardyce told me everything I needed to know about these bloody Indians; they know sweet F.A. about Premier League football.

Those thick enough to think we needed a new leader to guide us into the great new era of football on the floor and £50m war chests were as shortsighted as Venkys were when Jerome Anderson slithered into their midst.

EDIT: And I don't know about you, Neal, but Allardyce being sacked also told me that Williams was in big trouble too because he wasn't being listened to.

So why should we leave out the Allardyce stuff? The two are intrinsically linked.

I've just been reading the interview with Williams on WBA's website. When I look at the mutterings of Cheston and compare the two it really does make you want to weep. You realise just how clueless Cheston is in terms of running a football club and keeping the fans onside. Virtually everything the club has done this summer has merely widened the gulf between the club and its supporters.

So why should we leave out the Allardyce stuff? The two are intrinsically linked.

They could have kept him or appointed somebody else with experience but after all we've learned these past 6 years we all know Sam or any other decent manager wouldn't have worked for Venkys (Lambert) and we would have ended up exactly where we are... So discussing it makes the whole debate moot when you have owners like this lot, it's a totally pointless discussion. It also sands up today, regardless of who is the manager the club will keep declining due to their ownership... For me Everything at Rovers pales in significance to them being here.

• Backroom

Hello lads, Baggie here It's both a bit scary and exciting time for us So John Williams is a safe pair of hands to be chairman? I wish you luck for the upcoming season and hopefully one day the buyers you deserve as fans Best Wishes Bags

If his time here is anything to go by, you couldn't be in better hands.

Hello lads, Baggie here It's both a bit scary and exciting time for us So John Williams is a safe pair of hands to be chairman? I wish you luck for the upcoming season and hopefully one day the buyers you deserve as fans Best Wishes Bags

If he's running the show here and the Chinese stay in the background then it could be a recipe for success. He did a good job here and brought in some quality managers in Souness, Hughes and then Allardyce.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Pulis. If the club wants to kick on and be popular abroad then Pulis will need to alter his ways or be removed. Williams was never a trigger happy chairman and I can only presume has been assured that he will have power. He doesn't strike me as the sort to be messed about by an interfering owner who wants to keep chopping and changing.

He will certainly provide stability, professionalism and be a safe pair of hands. Throw in a bit of investment and it could go well. That was the only thing missing here and the reason we failed to keep hold of our best players and Mark Hughes.

If I could pick any chairman in the entire world I would pick John Williams. A gentleman that cares and acts in the clubs best interest in every single situation.

Top class football administrator and all round good man. Does well on communication with the Fan base. You could not have chosen better. With the new owner and JW you are well set.

This just serves to make me more bitter about what has happened here. And resentful towards a similar sized club that looks well placed to succeed where we failed and benefit from foreign investment whilst remaining successful on the pitch.

In many ways our situation back in 2010 was very similar to West Brom's today. Not one of the big boys in the Premier League but a well run, stable and established club with gates of 20,000+ a week. Part of the 'establishment'. Similar facilities, similar expectations, similar size. Never going to be a 'big' club but more than capable of holding their own in the top division.

The only thing missing is a bit more investment to help them push on up the league and grow.

Jeremy Peace has clearly done his homework on the new owner. Their takeover has been in the pipeline for a long time but he wanted to make sure he satisfied himself that the new owner was going to run the club properly and respect its traditions.

Straight away the new owner has done an interview for the fans setting out his targets and promising sensible management, and the first thing he has done is recruit one of the most capable and experienced Chairmen in the land.

West Brom can now look forward to stability and growth as part of the Premier League club. Good Chairman, good manager, new owner who has said all the right things.

If we'd have survived another 5 years in the Premier League then we perhaps could have benefited from the increasing influx of Chinese/American owners. Yet certain people told us that there was no money to be made in the Premier League and that Rovers was a 'burden'. Clearly that isn't the case today.

That could be us now. Shame the Walker Trust, Venkys and their other associates had other ideas.

You have hit the nail on the head there: the seller cared who would take over and what would happen afterwards, ours didn't. Everything stemmed from that.

I see our situation as analogous to BHS, the seller couldn't wait to get rid and was happy to sell to a know-nowt chancer/crook, then washed his hands of the consequences which affected tens of thousands of people who deserved better. For "Sir" Philip Green read the Walker Trust and for BHS employees read Rovers fans.

You have hit the nail on the head there: the seller cared who would take over and what would happen afterwards, ours didn't. Everything stemmed from that.

I see our situation as analogous to BHS, the seller couldn't wait to get rid and was happy to sell to a know-nowt chancer/crook, then washed his hands of the consequences which affected tens of thousands of people who deserved better. For "Sir" Philip Green read the Walker Trust and for BHS employees read Rovers fans.

I've made my views on the 'Trust' clear in the past, but when we see clubs like WBA, Palace and Swansea all establishing themselves in the Premier League and selling to foreign investors I think it goes to show what might have been for this football club had the sellers been more interested in the welfare of the club and the future implications of their decision.

They clearly couldn't give a stuff about Blackburn Rovers, and that continues to this day with their steadfast refusal to issue any sort of public statement, apology, regret, concern etc.

They succeeded in hoodwinking many Rovers fans into believing that owning a Premier League club was an unwanted burden that they needed to get rid of asap. Then we look around in 2016 and buyers across the world are queuing up to buy a slice of the action, paying £150-200 million for WBA. The best the 'Trust' and their advisors could manage was Venkys, after Ali Syed's attempt failed, and sold us down the river for a relative pittance.

If he's allowed to by your owner he'll be a very safe pair of hands. One of the best in the business. Should still be here.

If I could pick any chairman in the entire world I would pick John Williams. A gentleman that cares and acts in the clubs best interest in every single situation.

I use to be so happy when John Williams replied to my email. :)

Actually, the Walker trust took whatever they could just to get rid.. Thats how reckless they were, and how they didnt give a @#/? who they sold the club to. It was the money that they saw, and that was that. We didnt need to be sold, maybe fresh investment, but that investment could have been handled differently.

I've just been reading the interview with Williams on WBA's website. When I look at the mutterings of Cheston and compare the two it really does make you want to weep. You realise just how clueless Cheston is in terms of running a football club and keeping the fans onside. Virtually everything the club has done this summer has merely widened the gulf between the club and its supporters.

That's more like it.

Top class football administrator and all round good man. Does well on communication with the Fan base. You could not have chosen better. With the new owner and JW you are well set.

Couldn't have put it better.

You have just appointed the best chairman in the league.

That's the argument, Den ^^^^^ .... "It wasn't sacking Allardyce, it was that we didn't replace him properly."

The fact they wanted him sacked simply highlighted the lack of judgement of what makes a good manager. They thought it would be easy to replace him..................

Same goes for Williams, many of who thought there was no harm in getting rid because apparently, all new owners want their own people in. Oh, and he was due to retire soon as well. That's a good un after today's announcement.

Couldn't bear to read about Williams Parson. I warned posters on here to watch for how Williams reacted to the new owners. Him leaving so early on told me everything I needed to know. It was obvious from that early point where we were heading.

The fact they wanted him sacked simply highlighted the lack of judgement of what makes a good manager. They thought it would be easy to replace him..................

Same goes for Williams, many of who thought there was no harm in getting rid because apparently, all new owners want their own people in. Oh, and he was due to retire soon as well. That's a good un after today's announcement.

Couldn't bear to read about Williams Parson. I warned posters on here to watch for how Williams reacted to the new owners. Him leaving so early on told me everything I needed to know. It was obvious from that early point where we were heading.

You were not alone..........but it was obvious from the time and method of the sacking of Allardyce.

Archived