BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Sun - And Its Pile Of **** Apology.

SkemLad

Relevent, but offensive image remove - click the link to see it (link may not be work friendly) - Glenn

You may not care, you may not know, or you may simply just not understand....but I hope you will support. To know 96 innocent people died and were then slandered...and there families have had to defend their dead relatives to anyone they meet is surely a feeling no one in the world would want.

Everyones opinions of Liverpool the city and scousers is different. I understand alot of people hate us, or dislike us for whatever reason....but as fellow human beings i am hoping you understand.

As an active member of the HJC [Hillsborough Justice Campaign] I am willing to answer any questions relating to any issues.

Under the headline, 'Don't blame Rooney'.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,31-2004311282,,00.html

IT is 15 years since The Sun committed the most terrible mistake in its history.

By making grave and untrue allegations about the behaviour of Liverpool fans during the Hillsborough disaster, we enraged the city.

But more importantly, we tarnished the memory of 96 soccer fans who had tragically lost their lives.

And our carelessness and thoughtlessness following that blackest of days made the grief of their families and friends even harder to bear.

We long ago apologised publicly to the victims’ families, friends and to the city of Liverpool for our awful error.

We gladly repeat that apology today: fully, openly, honestly and without reservation.

If there was any way we could take back our erroneous words of 15 years ago, and by so doing ease the deep anguish we caused to so many people in mourning, we would do it.

But there isn’t. We can only hope that time will be the great healer.

Sadly, for some people in the city of Liverpool, forgetting — never mind forgiving — is impossible.

If they want to hate The Sun, then that is their right. We are hardly in a position to blame them.

What we find impossible to take, though, is the way some of Liverpool is turning its anger on one of the greatest footballing talents the city has ever seen.

Wayne Rooney is one of Liverpool’s finest sons.

At 18, he is the nation’s hero of Euro 2004 and has the potential to outscore England legends like Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Charlton and Alan Shearer.

On Merseyside, his name should be the toast of every pub, street and school.

Instead, he is being vilified by some Liverpool and Everton fans.

We can understand the grief of those who lost loved ones at Hillsborough.

We do not condemn the outspoken words of men like John Glover or Phil Hammond, whose sons died in the tragedy, for their loss entitles them to hold any opinion they wish.

But the words of other fans leave us in despair.

Wayne Rooney was just three years old at the time of Hillsborough. He and his fiancee Coleen are devastated by this unfair backlash. He should not be punished in 2004 for a mistake The Sun made in 1989. Don’t visit our past sins on him.

One view on a Liverpool website is that by telling his life story in The Sun, Wayne has “signed his soul away to the devil.”

Another is that he has “accepted 30 pieces of silver.”

For goodness sake, give the lad a chance.

It’s not as if Wayne’s the first footballer from Merseyside to talk to The Sun.

We have enjoyed a good working relationship with many players and managers over the years.

And nearly all Liverpool-born celebrities regularly talk to Britain’s favourite daily newspaper.

What The Sun finds most depressing about what is going on in Liverpool is the way trouble is stirred up by the local papers, the Post and the Echo.

Who owns the Post and Echo?

None other than Trinity Mirror.

The same company that owns The Sun’s rival, the Daily Mirror.

The misery being inflicted on Wayne Rooney is a crude effort by them to make commercial gain.

We hope that the people of modern Liverpool, a city of spirit and sophistication, are not taken in.

A brilliant young athlete, a credit to his club, his city and his country, is being pilloried by the very people who should be hailing him a hero.

And The Sun of 2004 no more deserves to be hated on Merseyside than Wayne Rooney does.

For a start, most of today’s staff weren’t on The Sun in 1989 and today’s Editor was a 20-year-old student.

Many of the callers to BBC Radio Merseyside have acknowledged that fact.

Fifteen years is a long time.

It is 11 years longer than the First World War, nine years longer than the Second World War.

We cannot believe these protests properly represent the opinions of the majority of men and women in Liverpool.

No one will ever forget the terrible Hillsborough tragedy, nor those who died and their loved ones.

But trashing a young man of whom everyone should be proud is not the way to honour their memory.

It is time to move on.

What they seem to forget it that the result of their inacuracies and over sensationalism in 1989 has caused not only just Liverpool fans, but also anyone from this city to carry a burden and a label.

Alot of people believe the @#/? that is written in the press, and with The S*n, they do admittedly have a wider audience than most....so this black cloud and prejudice has been passed out to a wide audience across the UK.

As most ofus will know, alot of people who are uneducated on Hillsborough dont really care about the ins and outs of it, and they have there own version of events which stems from the lies printed by the paper following the tradgedy. All the hard work from the HJC the HFSG the survivors and supporters of Justice has only still managed to re-educate a percentage of those people who have chosen to believe what they read.

The S*n has tody opened old wounds and use us as a rod to beat each other with once again, and done it using a local lad [who admittedly should ave known better]. They are using this so called "apology" to further support and substasiate what they wrote back in 89....and I for one will not let these ###### have an easy ride for as long as I draw breath.

This will make Liverpool the city, the supporters of Justice and any decent football fan who understands our fight even more determined and more resiliant.

96 Candles Burn Bright

user posted image

Thanks.

Justice. tinykit.gif

sad.gif

Edited by Glenn - SkemLad, had to remove the image at the top. Also, you may be surprised just how much people of here know about the HJC, another HJC member "Mottman" is a regular visitor around here. You may also find we have lots of members with very strong opinions about Journalists wink.gif

Just let it go.

The Sun bases their whole paper on lies, we all know that.

Either you accept their apology or you don't. There's been far worse incidents than this which have received no apology whatsoever.

Like they say move on, life goes on.

rover.gif

Edited by Ossydave

. There's been far worse incidents than this which have received no apology whatsoever.

rover.gif

Which ones?

Im not being arrogant, i just cant remember.....

Would just like to know for interest/reference.

Thanks. tinykit.gif

.  There's been far worse incidents than this which have received no apology whatsoever.

rover.gif

Which ones?

Thanks. tinykit.gif

Have a think about it, it's really not that hard.

Foe dying on their cover.

They apologized. Get over it and get on with your life. Don't buy the paper if you still harbor a grudge. It would be the equivalent of me making a huge campaign against Germany for what they did during WWII. It's over, move on.

Typical of The Sun.

Fifteen years late with an apology stretching to ten lines, instantly followed by thirty lines blabbing on about how The Mirror is orchestrating a campaign against Rooney.

The cynicism is breath-taking.

Frankly mate I don't care and I don't know why you can't just let it go - nobody in their right mind buys the Sun or the Daily Mail (or any of that sh!t) anyway.

Clearly sales stats prove you are wrong.

.  There's been far worse incidents than this which have received no apology whatsoever.

rover.gif

Which ones?

Thanks. tinykit.gif

Have a think about it, it's really not that hard.

Thanks.

Typical of The Sun.

Fifteen years late with an apology stretching to ten lines, instantly followed by thirty lines blabbing on about how The Mirror is orchestrating a campaign against Rooney.

The cynicism is breath-taking.

True, but that's what you expect from tabloids.

I agree with those who say 'let if go'. Just don't buy the paper and your conscience will be clear.

Years ago my uncle threw himself off an electricity pylon.

How did my mother (his sister) find out about that? By a sickening picture of an Accrington man about to jump from the pylon on the front page of the LET.

Some of you may or may not remember this picture but its the single most disturbing thing I've ever seen in my life. The relations had a right to know first.

We haven't held it against the LET though, We know what sells papers and what doesn't.

Frankly mate I don't care and I don't know why you can't just let it go - nobody in their right mind buys the Sun or the Daily Mail (or any of that sh!t) anyway.

And what makes you think you carrying on about it will change anything?

what everyone does have to remember is that the irony in all this is that the editor of the sun at the time this all went to print is now the editor of the mirror which is read regularly by scousers, surely he's more to blame!

Kelvin McKenzie is not the editor of the Mirror.

what everyone does have to remember is that the irony in all this is that the editor of the sun at the time this all went to print is now the editor of the mirror which is read regularly by scousers, surely he's more to blame!

Are you sure ?? I thought it was Kelvin McKenzie who did go onto work for the Mirror Group via Live TV and then setup Talksport.

At the end of the day, all journalists all p*** in the same pot. If you were to say don't buy the Sun.. don't buy any newspaper.

Regardless of what has happened in the past, threatening Wayne Rooney is hardly going to acheive anything. Who's next, Atomic Kitten for editiing Bizarre, or Cilla Black ?

I'd suggest its time to move on and try and get all the papers onside in an fight to get a second inquest, rather than continue a futile vendetta against a paper few people take seriously anyhow.

And what makes you think you carrying on about it will change anything?

Because in 15 years of boycotting that rag it is proven that they have lost over £17m worth of profit...thats why it is a proven fact that they devote more column inches on average to the merseyside clubs than any other in the country.

Ozzydave, with all due respect...the difference being that what happened with the LEF [as you account it], although horrible was fact, and what the sun did was fiction to sell papers - as they have admitted.

Contrary to @#/? that has been printed...the feeling on merseyside is that Rooney was badly advised and poorly guided on this matter. Rather than all the crap you may have read about threats and anger against him, we understand that they are using him as the stick to beat the city with - and also trying to gain more interest in their rag on merseyside.

Typical Merseyside, living in the past with a chip on its shoulder. Scousers Against The World is their motto; no wonder Liverpool has been in decline for years and its population leaving in droves.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Ozzydave, with all due respect...the difference being that what happened with the LEF [as you account it], although horrible was fact, and what the sun did was fiction to sell papers - as they have admitted.

It wasn't fact actually. They said he escaped from Plymouth hospital, he escaped form Derriford Mental institute. They said he was depressed when in actual fact he had a massive cocaine addiction.

If you let what a tabloid says bother you, you've got very thin skin. Jesus Christ, Beckham would have done something drastic years ago if he was as touchy as you lot.

Typical Merseyside, living in the past with a chip on its shoulder. Scousers Against The World is their motto; no wonder Liverpool has been in decline for years and its population leaving in droves.

rover.gif I knew I'd agree with one of your posts eventually thumbs-up.gif

ABS AND JIM UNITE....CHRIST IM GONNA BUY THE EXPRESS OR SPORT NOW TOMMOROW.

Ha ha ha...read it all now. biggrin.gif

What year is blackburn the capital of culture, and what else are you famous for?

Just bitter lad...oooohhh, taste that lemon.

Ha ha ha...read it all now. biggrin.gif

What year is blackburn the capital of culture, and what else are you famous for?

Just bitter lad...oooohhh, taste that lemon.

Skem lad not all in fact hardly any of us agree with Jim's view on this. Sadly he is a bitter ex-hack himself so not really in a position to comment.

Keep up the fight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.