BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Was Egil The Worst Ever?

Has anyone seen that Jeff Stelling book called "England Worst Footballers"? It has a nomination for each club but I'm not sure where the nominatiuons come from.

The nomination for the worst ever Rovers player is Egil Ostenstad. While I agree that Egil was pretty crap and couldn't score in a brothel I can't agree that he is the worst Rover ever.

If you tale just abaility as your criteria then someone like Norman Bell, John Lowey or Kevin Shitehouse would surely come out on top. If you factor in value for money then surely Kevin Davies or Grabbi would be the man. In fact when we swopped Davies for Ostenstad I thought we got the best of the deal despite losing £7m on Davies, that is how bad he was.

Maybe once we have picked our top Rovers XI we should pick our team of duds. Ashley Ward was a personal (un) favourite of mine.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen that Jeff Stelling book called "England Worst Footballers"? It has a nomination for each club but I'm not sure where the nominatiuons come from.

The nomination for the worst ever Rovers player is Egil Ostenstad. While I agree that Egil was pretty crap and couldn't score in a brothel I can't agree that he is the worst Rover ever.

If you tale just abaility as your criteria then someone like Norman Bell, John Lowey or Kevin Shitehouse would surely come out on top. If you factor in value for money then surely Kevin Davies or Grabbi would be the man. In fact when we swopped Davies for Ostenstad I thought we got the best of the deal despite losing £7m on Davies, that is how bad he was.

Maybe once we have picked our top Rovers XI we should pick our team of duds. Ashley Ward was a personal (un) favourite of mine.

Strange choice of 'crap' players.

Norman Bell was an excellent buy from Wolves and was arguably our brst player at the time.

Lowey was a reasonable if limited midfielder after he was converted from hapless striker.

Stonehouse was something of a wonderkid when he broke into the side and was generally a decent player.

For crapness look no further than the famous Pauls - Shepstone amd McKinnon !

I agree with your idea about a crap eleven.

Where would we start ? Butcher Collier Fettis Dickens or O'Keefe ?

Strange choice of 'crap' players.

Norman Bell was an excellent buy from Wolves and was arguably our brst player at the time.

Lowey was a reasonable if limited midfielder after he was converted from hapless striker.

Stonehouse was something of a wonderkid when he broke into the side and was generally a decent player.

For crapness look no further than the famous Pauls - Shepstone amd McKinnon !

I agree with your idea about a crap eleven.

Where would we start ? Butcher Collier Fettis Dickens or O'Keefe ?

o keefe is a legend he got us on a free night out in oneils on the staff end of seson party we had never met him before and just got chatting at the bar and he said you like free beer i said lets see??lol

Yes Parker and Shepstone. Two complete non-footballers.

This something the old giffers undoubtedly have the edge on the young'uns. Ostenstad would have been the best player on the park in quite a few teams the Rovers put out in the '70s and '80s!

I assume that the main criterion for this award is technical ability - which is why he's gone for Egil.

Corrado Grabbi was an awful flop - but you have to admit that he did have technique and displayed it on some rare occasions. Egil, meanwhile, was a lump who could hold up the ball and not much more.

Darren Peacock deserves a mention whenever we're talking about crap players.

If you are judging on technical quality then people like Baggio cant be named,they are far more skillful and able than some of the crap we have now.

Worst buy= player who did the least for Rovers,worst in the case of people who cost alot.

Im sure I remember Egil scoring quite a few in Division 1,or am I mistaken.He did score a few inthe Premier too.I dont think he was the worst buy.

Again,will Corrado had technique,he just didnt do it for us,he was a little unlucky too.I think in another time,place he would have been a great player for us.

Actually I think Fettis had two games under Kidd during the relegation season and played quite well.

As for Rovers worst player in terms of pure ability, I will back-up claims that Grabbi actually did have some good skill but it just never worked-out for him. Egil wasn't too bad. Surely the award goes to Darren Peacock or Dominic Matteo.

Stelling's problem is that he can't really comment on any club's worst footballer, because in 90% of cases no-one but the fans of the club would have never heard of them.

I've no idea if he's levered in factors such as the transfer fee and/or the number of games played.

If he has then I don't really care about The Egil being Rovers' nomination* but get a warm glow when I think of what RFW spent on Veron and that Uraguayan (whose name escapes me for the minute.)

* a tie between Simon Grayson & Darren Peacock for me.

You see - I don't actually think that Davies is/was a bad player. Obviously, he was downright shat for us - but that had a lot to do with a poor attitude, weak management, playing in a struggling side and crucially - the burden of a ridiculous transfer fee was like a millstone round his neck. All that resulting in him totally losing his confidence.

In his first stint at Southampton (signed by Souey incidently) he was very impressive and you've got to grudgingly say that he's doing alright at Bolton.

I dont think that Davies was the worst player for us - we just didn't play him to his strenghts. We tried to play him as a running-at-defenders type of player, which whilst he scored a couple of goals like this at Southampton, wasn't really his game at all. At Bolton, big Sam has played him more as a target man - he is strong and can hold the ball up quite well, and this suits him down to the ground.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.