BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Was Egil The Worst Ever?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think that Davies was the worst player for us - we just didn't play him to his strenghts. We tried to play him as a running-at-defenders type of player, which whilst he scored a couple of goals like this at Southampton, wasn't really his game at all. At Bolton, big Sam has played him more as a target man - he is strong and can hold the ball up quite well, and this suits him down to the ground.

Maybe his best position would be in the stands after the game .......... picking the litter up.

Corrado Grabbi

Kaba Diawara

Dino Baggio

Ashley Ward

Nathan Blake

Darren Peakcock

Kevin Davies

Tore Pedersen

Per Pedersen

Dario Marcolin

Egil Ostenstad

Richard Witschge

( In no particular order, though it could be......)

Edited by frosty

nobodys mentioned a guy named shearer. always thought he was an overpriced and undertalented fart!!!!!!!

Ah Duncan Shearer - I dont think he was overpriced tongue.gif

We signed Duncan Shearer to not play. He was banging them in for Swindon and they were catching us up. We signed him, he scored on his debut, then hardly played the rest of the season, Swindon lost all hope after losing their 25 goal striker; Dalglish masterstroke.

Ostenstadt was our best forward during that first season in Div 1, so can't see how on earth any author who did literally one minute's proper research could have Egil as our worst ever.

In my time watching Rovers, the worst two were Ward & Peacock. Others may well know of worse players technically, but every time I saw those two on the teamsheet a) I thought "why?!? Are they sleeping with the manager?" & cool.gif I was filled with utter depression, knowing that my day would be ruined by watching them render every attack toothless (Ward) or make every aimless hoof by the other team into a goal-scoring opportunity. Dark days.

No one has mentioned Sean Curry ! smile.gif

I thought Sean Curry was OK. I remember giving City the run around at Main Road in the days when they were the big boys in Div 2.

I know I should remember Kaba Diawara, someone remind me who he was.

Another complete dud was Neil Oliver.

I'm not among the "old" generation on this mb, so my worst XI of former Rovers players would be:

Fettis

Grayson

Peakcock

Tore Pedersen

Curtis

Oumar Konde/George Donis

Dario Marcolin

Dino Baggio/Anders Andersson

Frandsen

Martin Dahlin/Grabbi

Per Pedersen/Davies

mcm

I have Colin Randalls shirt from a game against Bury ! Still has blood on it !

No one has mentioned Sean Curry ! smile.gif

remember the chant for him??

HOTTER THAN VINDALLOO

SHAUN CURRRY SHAUN CURRY

We didnt need peter cucumber or a bleeding drums back then biggrin.gif just plenty of boddingtons and guinness and the albion for our songs to be developed.

Not Steve Livingstone, he kept us up one year with 9 in 9 late on. He scored the winner against Oldham at home, they were runaway leaders and getting promoted to the top flight, they were singing going up, we were singing staying up.

I only have recent memories but they are long enough to remember the bad old days of the second division, mostly Mackay's reign.

Matt Dickins was a far worse keeper than Collier, he looked like an ostrich.

Home grown bad ones include Darren Donnelly, the striker who couldn't score, and Paul Shepstone; Mr ball to nowhere.

My all time worst I can think of right now was a loan player we got from City; Jason Beckford. He was Darren Beckford's brother, and we all thought he'd play like him. He was big and fast but couldn't so anything with it. Pants.

Krislu's post-1995 list has some very bad players on it. Coincidence that we went down shortly threreafter? I think not. Peacock was awful.

No doubt more will pop into my head as the day rolls on.

Andy Kennedy the vainest footballer known to man (cept his goal at Villa)

We have had our fair share of bad un's but have to say Diaorrea bloke has to be the worse - another GS masterstroke with Beckford and Dickens coming in close with Mckinnon /Pedersen/ Dahlin/ Baggio/Finnigan / Dewhurst and the list goes on ....

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

If i see another mentioning of Jonh Curtis in this section I will slay someone. My absolute favourite in the promotion team, I hate the defenders of today who can put in crosses but dont know how to defend! Curtis was a silent soldier, a man who did his job and did it good. Actually he is, according to me, closer of figuring in the voting for "best right-back ever" than "worst right-back ever... Outrageous!" mad.gif

Possibly Steve Livingstone... could the proposed signing of Hartson be re-visiting this lumbering mistake?

Thinking about this one has given me a headache. Too many names, reputations, disappointments etc. to conjure with. Have to agree with Speeeeeeedie tho', Livo didn't do too bad a job for us and went on to become an absolute legend at Grimsby. Played every position on the park and once scored a goal with his arse. laugh.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.