SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Was Egil The Worst Ever?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John O'Mara took some beating.

If I can second that from the point of view of the Old Giffers.

If we had had Egil when we were bottom of the 3rd, there would have been a stand named after him. In fact I don't even think Egil was the worst forward we had in the team when he was here.

To me it's no contest that O'Mara was the worst. He came with a bit of a reputation from Brentford for the (then) not inconsiderable sum of $30,000, so we had Davies/Grabbi level of expectations at the time. He turned out to be quite simply the least talented footballer ever to get paid for it. He wasn't good at anything: couldn't shoot, head, trap, dribble or pass a ball. The biggest cheer of the afternoon came when he was substituted. Quite simply, he was our worst player in when we were at our worst ever position. He also made Amoruso look graceful and svelte.

It was incomprehensible that the manager who signed him (Furphy) was the same guy who signed Sir Roger and Tony Field.

But then a close runner up to O'Mara would be Barry Endean, who Furphy again scandalously swapped for the incomaparble Eamonn Rogers.

Possibly Steve Livingstone... could the proposed signing of Hartson be re-visiting this lumbering mistake?

Thinking about this one has given me a headache. Too many names, reputations, disappointments etc. to conjure with. Have to agree with Speeeeeeedie tho', Livo didn't do too bad a job for us and went on to become an absolute legend at Grimsby. Played every position on the park and once scored a goal with his arse. laugh.gif

Okay, I conceed to 'not Steve Livingstone'... really just use as an excuse to question Hartson approaches (wrong thread, I know).

However, I will also throw Martin Dahlin into the mix... surely our most ineffectual striker; makes Grabbi look like a predadory goal machine! blink.gif

Also, anyone have a particular desire not to throw Sebastian Perez into the Rovers' Room 101?

Nathan Blake is the worst player in my short time that I have watched Rovers, apart from the goal at Liverpool in the League Cup, he was shocking - barn door and banjo come top mind.

I wouldn't say Blake was anywhere near the worst, although I agree he was one of the most annoying, because occasionally he would play really well, try hard, score a good goal etc, but then the next three games would see him show no enthusiasm at all. I remember one great goal in Div 1 (can't remember who against) when he showed a great first-touch on the half-way line, turned one player, and then surged down the pitch leaving defenders for dead before slotting it past the keeper from just inside the box. I remember thinking, "this could be the turning point, maybe he'll try this hard every game"...but of course it wasn't.

Bet you don't remember Martin Fowler - Jim Iley's 'man to get us going' gawd!

Funny how many Souness brought in on here. Did he ever have a look at the players he was buying? Diawara couldn't have ever played football before even on a park. A few current favourites,

Amo - injured again- Rousso

Gres -kan't play won't play - ko

Matt - It's not my fault - oe (hee haw more like)

Curtis is a good player and we could play 3 at the back with him. I think his size for a defender has been his problem. Beat the pants of Lucas Neil IMO

But then a close runner up to O'Mara would be Barry Endean, who Furphy again scandalously swapped for the incomaparble Eamonn Rogers.

Eamonn Rogers was too brilliant a player for third division football.

There was no way Rovers could have kept him once we were relegated.

Martin Britt, anyone, for worst Rover?

I may be wrong but I cant see the illustrious Simon Grayson mentioned anywhere here ?! huh.gif

Not only was he totally inept as a footballer but he also collected a fortune in wages for sitting in the reserves for years. No other team would buy him because of the ridiculous wages we put him on when we signed him (I saw somewhere it was around £30k+ please tell me this is wrong !) sad.gif

For me defensively Amoruso and Peacock. To the untrained eye their physical approach might seem impressive but you could guarentee they would make the mistake that cost Rovers the game. No pace, no positional sense, a complete and utter lack of concentration. Wonder what it is with long haired centre backs at Ewood. (Nissa might prove to be the exception.)

Of all the goalies I've seen Fettis has to be the worst. I cannnot remember a single one-on-one with him involved that didn't end in a goal.

Up front, lard arse Davies. Poor attitude, no pace, little skill and was dropped after 2 games during his spell at Rovers. His goal scoring and genreal contribution was appalling and he would have been a bad signing on a free transfer; for £7m he was a disaster. What got me, was never once did he look bothered.

To me Grabbi got a couple of goals and assists for us, and had some technical ability and Ward bad as he was nabbed a few goals for us so can't be considered our worst player. Indeed for lesser amounts I'm not sure either of their names would be mentioned as frequently.

Looking back Egil was far from the worst ever Rovers player.

This one will wind a few up but when Mark Atkins first came he was dire. He's being seriously considered by some for the "greatest 11" yet I remember his debut season as one disaster after another. No joke, he was crap. It is a testament to Dalglish, Harford and Atkins' own attitude that brought him around. Today players will sulk and give up whilst collecting outrageous wages.

Another from the late Mackay era, I think; Gary Tallon. He came during the murky waters of 1991. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not concrete on his arrival. I don't think he ever played in the first team, maybe ruling him out, but I used to watch the reserves quite regularly and he was a complete laughing stock. He was labelled as a Roy Keane type, but fell way short. The best laugh of the night was alwys when some fan in the crowd piped up with "here he goes, Gary Talent". Seriously bad, but never made it. I hate to think what would have happened if Dalglish didn't turn up.

Another from the late Mackay era, I think; Gary Tallon. He came during the murky waters of 1991. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not concrete on his arrival. I don't think he ever played in the first team, maybe ruling him out, but I used to watch the reserves quite regularly and he was a complete laughing stock. He was labelled as a Roy Keane type, but fell way short. The best laugh of the night was alwys when some fan in the crowd piped up with "here he goes, Gary Talent". Seriously bad, but never made it. I hate to think what would have happened if Dalglish didn't turn up.

I used to go and watch him every week at Springfield Park in the reserves. He was never going to make the first team but some of the others in that team were loads worse!

We used to have Thorne and Pearce up front. Well, neither of them could lead a line. Then there was Paul Harford and Lee Makel in the middle of the park, Josh Metcalf on one wing, think it might have been chris malone on the other and at the back we had Andy 'Animal' Morrison (Who i think is still playing somewhere) alongside moran or marker and then Tallon and Andy Scott as full backs. In goal it was usually Bobby Mimms.

Looking back, god they were awful. I used to demand that we went to watch them and my parents had to come to. It was always cold and raining and there was no potential, no talent, no nothing!

And why did i insist on going every week, no not Ian but ahhh Paul Harford!

What memories flood back with the mention of Martin Britt's name.

John O'Mara contributed to our not getting relegated to the 4th Division but was dire, especially the following season.

One of the worst was John Radford-according to Bill Fox.At an open eveing at Ewood, I'd mentioned how awful O'Mara was. Fox said Radford was worse-he'd been brought in to complete the team to get promoted-but he didn't score goals and caused a lot of trouble at the club.

What memories flood back with the mention of Martin Britt's name.

John O'Mara contributed to our not getting relegated to the 4th Division but was dire, especially the following season.

One of the worst was John Radford-according to Bill Fox.At an open eveing at Ewood, I'd mentioned how awful O'Mara was. Fox said Radford was worse-he'd been brought in to complete the team to get promoted-but he didn't score goals and caused a lot of trouble at the club.

If i see another mentioning of Jonh Curtis in this section I will slay someone. My absolute favourite in the promotion team, I hate the defenders of today who can put in crosses but dont know how to defend! Curtis was a silent soldier, a man who did his job and did it good. Actually he is, according to me, closer of figuring in the voting for "best right-back ever" than "worst right-back ever... Outrageous!" mad.gif

Did you used to post under the pseudonym tom007 by any chance?

I don't think that Egil was the worst in the squad that he played in when at Rovers, never mind the worst ever... He was certainly better than the man he replaced, although personally I wish we had never started that transfer chain, then we would still have Beattie...

Worst ever has to be Dahlin.. he was terrible

Ashley Ward, Mr. Relegation.

Missed a sitter against United to send us down

i remember that sitter. 82nd minute was it, when our ashley tried to chip the huge peter schmikes from inside the penalty box when he could have just tried to ram or place it home...

but in any case, worst player for me has to be kevin davies. wonder what sam allardyce has done to make him actually play like he is playing now...

bobby svarc or joey craig.... both a real let down in the late 70's when rovers almost broke the bank to sign them... craig was an international in a good scotland team as well...

could think of dozens of others...

Bit of useless information, Bobby Svarc has a healthy business fitting/maintaining burglar alarm systems and came out to look at ours about 18 mths ago.

Really pleasant bloke, then he mentioned in passing he was a jehovah's witness and I beat a hasty retreat.

Worst player, this has been done lots of times before, IMO in terms of value for money, Grabbi and Davies although the latter has shown he is a decent player at both Saints and Wanderers.

However today's "worst" players would walk into our 1970's 3rd division sides. Worst two for me John O Mara - lumbering six feet five centre forward who couldn't win a header in the air. And from the 80's Paul Mckinnon. Lardy free scoring centreforward from non league football who disappeared from whence he came after a handful of games.

Worst ever has to be Dahlin.. he was terrible

Don't be daft.

He wasn't particularly good by any stretch of the imagination and had a fair podge of a stomach when he played for us but 6 goals in 16 starts isn't that bad.

Anyone remember that poor scandanavian we fielded against Sheff Wednesday in the League Cup Semi Final. He was bloomin awful. Paddy Andersson or something he was called. I bet he never did anything after leaving us. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.