SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City 1-1 Post Match Stuff

colin

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good result for Rover yesterday. I thought that it was going to be a difficult game for Rovers after Citeh's good result against United last week, I'm sure that they were full of confidence. But watching the game on Football First, Rovers more than deserved their point and could have snatched it at the end. Defensively, we are looking alot stronger, with McEveley again showing what a promising player he is and IMO he is far better than Gresko or Gray and we are looking stronger in that position. Todd and Johannson are showing some steel and defensive capabilities, unlike Amoruso and Matteo. Emerton is playing very well at the moment and if we were to lose him in January, I'd be devastated. The other midfielders played well, Ferguson showing his ability on a regular basis now, Reid putting in solid performances, which we need if we are the get out of the bottom three, with his pass for the penalty being sublime. Tugay looked very bright, but still gives the ball away too much. I thought that our strikers did well, Dickov has been a great signing, Stead plays well, but just can't score, while I thought that Jansen looked very good coming off the bench and should start next week. I was glad to see Thompson return yesterday and he certainly made a difference. I can see him starting next week, in place of Tugay.

Three draws in a row, have stopped the losing run, and we are clearly playing with alot more confidence under Hughes, with our defence looking alot stronger and mobile. However, we need to convert these draws into wins, so we can start climbing the table and this needs to start next week against Birmingham, who are on a bad run themselves. Our next couple of games will shape our season. We are playing teams who are close to us in the league and we should be looking to take 10 points from the games, and this will decide if we are going to have a season where we consolidate, or one where we are battling relegation.

Le Chuck's match summary reflects my view on the game.

A solid performance - win your home matches , draw your aways!

Couple of surprising positives- Matt Jansen- looked back to his best

and Mark Clattenburg- looks like a top ref (said it before the penalty), along with Peter Walton the standard of new refs appears encouraging!

Edited by Tony Diamond Inc

Was only able to watch parts of the game on the delayed Canal+ showing, but I'd say that we looked the better team, however we were lacking that quality final pass and a real goalscoring threat. Defensively we looked solid, which is encouraging considering that Man C have two of the quickest (And best IMO) forwards in Anelka and SWP. Very good penalty by Dickov too. James guessed correctly and made a really good attempt to save but no keeper would've caught it I think.

Thommo looked lively, and he can only improve with more match fitness (After all, he's played like 6-7 games in the last year, most of them reserve games). Hit a cracking shot from 25 yards, looked even more impressive in slowmo. The ball was completely still in the air, beautiful. Palace (Thank you Mr Baros!!) and Norwich both lost, and hopefully WBA won't start winning either. Southampton won however, which doesn't worry me too much as I don't think they'll be serious candidates for the drop anyway. They do have a good squad and should be able to pull out of the bottom sides too.

We haven't lost for three games now, which is good. We need to start winning however, but I think we will. A draw vs Liverpool is a good result, coming back from a goal down while playing with ten men for 45 minutes, away, is excellent, and drawing away vs a City side high on confidence after the result vs Man U after conceding the first goal is again a good result. Better finishing should see us win the next few games. The opposition is "worse", and we should have an advantage playing at home too. The return of Thommo is promising too. Ofcourse, he's not "the saviour" and can turn our season around, but he provides us with another option to partner Barry, he adds tenacity to our midfield and, most of all, a real threat to score from a distance. Hopefully his knee will hold up now, and I'm thinking that it will. They must've been extra careful and thorough after the first operation didn't work.

I think we'll be able to stay up, but it'll be close. Encouraging signs in the last 3-4 games though, and a win next week should boost confidence even higher.

Le Chuck's match summary reflects my view on the game.

A solid performance - win your home matches , draw your aways!

Couple of surprising positives- Matt Jansen- looked back to his best

and Mark Clattenburg- looks like a top ref (said it before the penalty), along with Peter Walton the standard of new refs appears encouraging!

If you were on the chat room before the start of the game, you would have seen me say that Mr Clatternburg was a good ref. biggrin.gif

Still disappointed because in our predicament we need wins. Draws are not of much use - remember when Kidd took over? The losses stopped and we started drawing a few matches but it didn't take us away from trouble.

Would be interested to know how we played though because it sounds like we could have won it late on. Especially want to know if Emerton and Reid on the wings is actually working.

Simple. Buy a ticket and go watch.

simple but have you seen where the lad lives!? Malta! that would be loyal, and a half! withstupid.gif

Edited by chopperhopper

Still disappointed because in our predicament we need wins. Draws are not of much use - remember when Kidd took over? The losses stopped and we started drawing a few matches but it didn't take us away from trouble.

Would be interested to know how we played though because it sounds like we could have won it late on. Especially want to know if Emerton and Reid on the wings is actually working.

simple but have you seen where the lad lives!? Malta! that would be loyal, and a half! withstupid.gif

Chopperhopper - philipl lives in Malta, not Rover6! Rover6's precise wherabouts are unknown, which contrasts interestingly with his views on the club, players etc. laugh.gif

after sitting through 90 mins, freezing my b***s I throught be be self theres got to be more to life than this?

still a derserved point. I think Hughes is starting to make us harder to beat, we just need to start converting well earned draws to wins.

anybody throught Thompson looked very sharp when he game on to replce the lacklustre Tugay?

Thompson has to start next game. I think Hughes will let him.

Unless Stead is injured he will stay with him I think. Jansen was okay but still not quite as good. As much as he is a psycopath we need bothroyd back.

I want to see this lineup get a whole set of games to settle with the only real change bringing Bothroyd back in two games time (barring a Steadinho recovery)

Stead  Dickov

Emerton              Ferguson      Thompson

Reid

McEveley  Johansson  Todd  Niell

Friedel 

The Reid holding player thing is not my idea exactly. I nicked it off other posters, but I have come to agree with them. I am not sure he has ever really played just sitting in front of the defense (indeed I have a feeling he has played on the wings most of his life) but he has all the right qualities to do it well- athleticism, agression, good(ish) tackling. His passing is a bit poor but I cannot see it being more dangereous than Tugay's. Thompson is always going to be a better player going forward so it would seem stupid to curtail both his and Ferguson's game by playing him in the middle.

Also I'd just like to say how impressed I am with Dickov. He got a lot of stick when he came here and I was doubtful of him but he has already made a huge contribution to the side. Works his heart out and has a lot more talent than people give him credit for.

We might think we are in trouble up front at the moment. Imagine if we did not have Dickov! Quality player.

Finally the team is taking shape. Roll on Bimingham!

Stop it Phillip, you'll confuse the lad !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.