BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes V Souness

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they are only 7 points infront of us, however they have more quality as souness has not had much chance to ruin this yet.

Dont expect us to finish above them. We may however beat them at ewood

well he did start bramble and ronny johnsen against ruud and rooney... leaving the steady if unspectacular obrien on the bench... seems like he has a penchant for rock solid defences tongue.gif

Isn't it refreshing to listen to the knowlegeable Hughes in his postmatch interviews compared to whinging Souy. I used to like Souness until I took the blinkers off and realised what a mes he made of us in the last 12 months.

The way we are going I think we will be just behind Newcastle but that will be without Souness who will be long gone by then

Souness will do well to keep himself in that job.

The geordie masses are not convinced at all with him & signs of discontent are already showing.

I still expect newcastle to finish up in or around the european places.

As for Hughes, getting to those 40pts as quick as possible will do for me! unsure.gif

Well they are only 7 points infront of us, however they have more quality as souness has not had much chance to ruin this yet.

well he did start bramble and ronny johnsen against ruud and rooney... leaving the steady if unspectacular obrien on the bench... seems like he has a penchant for rock solid defences tongue.gif

He also keeps playing bellamy on the left, rather than Robert. Crazy!

I expect us to finish around 12th

He also keeps playing bellamy on the left, rather than Robert. Crazy!

I expect us to finish around 12th

at least he's not playing a centre back on the left anymore

I have always had a deep distaste for Newcastle ever since that horror Lord Westwood cheated on us on both the Gordon Lee and Roger Jones grabs. Of course the move that ruined Shearer's career didn't exactly endear them to me either. rover.gif

Taking Souness off us is all our paybacks coming at once. Yes Souey was magnificent for two and a half years but the bullying arrogant ignoramous with an ego fifteen sizes too big came to the fore and nearly destroyed us.

Newcastle have taken that idiot and doubled the size of his over-inflated ego.

I even found myself cheering the Manc goals against them yesterday. Vomit!

Tricky one next week. Palace v Newcastle. Have to fancy Palace to make it five defeats on the trot.

Looking at Pompey v Citeh and Norwich v Saints (two home wins by my reckoning) on Saturday makes our Sunday afternoon against Brum look even more important. At least when we kick off, will know for sure that even a draw will not lift us off bottom place this time. sad.gif

In terms of Hughes v Souness, it is highly unlikely we will finish ahead of the bar codes but I am expecting Boxing Day to be tasty. That will be a huge proof of Hughes' management credentials. If he cannot organise us to beat a Souness side which will resemble a pickled chocolate fry up for all the tactical sense his team selection will make, Hughes will have been found seriously deficient as a manager.

Edited by philipl

If he cannot organise us to beat a Souness side which will resemble a pickled chocolate fry up for all the tactical sense his team selection will make, Hughes will have been found seriously deficient as a manager.

Not so sure about that. Souness will still have enough quality in his side to bail him out. At least in the short term.

At the moment both managers are getting by, just.

Hughes has found the players that make the club's best team with what Souness has left him. And it seems that we are beginning to play better than at the beginning of the season.

Souness picked up a young, promising squad of players. Like we found he has begun to play players out of their usual positions.

What will be interesting is the game at Ewood on Boxing Day and when the tranfer windown re-opens.

Both managers have cash to spend, we'll see who spends it more wisely come May.

I find it amazing that everybody seems to dislike Souness yet when I stated that Souness would take us down the road to ruin with his signings and selling I was told in no certain terms that I did'nt know what I was talking about. How opinions seem to have changed among some of the Souness brigade!

I find it amazing you've bothered to come back on the forum to post on the only topic in which you have an interest !

Although you've had to take 6 weeks off while Newcastle remained unbeaten I notice.

Did you bring tom007 along with you ?

Interesting stats they were giving on Sky's Monday night football. Newcastle have the joint worse defensive record in the Prem with ourselves. The presenter when talking to a Newcastle fan made the point that it must be bad if its the same as us.

I actually think that "Sparky" will continue to improve the team to the stage that the wins will be coming regularly, and it is my fervent hope that we not only finish above the geordies but beat them on the pitch as well. Then to savour the post match statement from Souness as he squirms for an excuse ie "luck deserted us, not our day,the ref was blind, we got nothing for our efforts etc etc"

tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.