BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes V Souness

More things familiar to Rovers fans happening again at Newcastle. Robert is now complaining about Souness not liking him. Is he playing favourites again?

Sparky has everything in place now, we shall continue to improve, we won't be Champions League conternders as we don't have the players but competency is on its way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know i sound bitter.. but i just wish newcastle gets beat every game they play. interesting that another rover old boy did souness in yesterday; carsley with a superb freekick. pity that bent couldnt find the empty net after rounding given, it would have been perfect. biggrin.gif

Souness wont be at Newcastle in May! As the season progress, and the amount of bustup's with players, fines by the FA, along with poor results will earn him the sack before the end of February, mark my words...

February's a bit harsh but he won't be there next season. I don't really care about Newcastle or Souness, but looking at his post match interviews nearly all seem to have blamed the referee when things don't go their way.

Even despite our boost in form we've going to get nowhere near Newcastle. Hughes has got too big a job on his hands and Souey's got too much talent for us to be swapping places.

IF Souness managed to hang on till next season then I'd say we could finish above them. However, that's not going to happen. What would be interesting to see is whether Rovers get more points under Hughes than Newcastle do under Souness, and not count the season before they took over their respective clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

rover.gif i love the bit were he talks about the squad he has,saying if it was any good bobby robson would still be in a job.now given,shearer,klivert,bowyer,jenas,dyer,bellamy and numerous others would walk into most premier league teams.

one thing i admire sparky for is that he has never called sourness for leaving a pitifull poor squad,he has got on with what he was left.

i still find it hard to believe that most posters on here were willing to back souness,was it blind faith-love of the club-or just the lack off footballing nous tinykit.gif

Regardless of whether you hate GS with a passion or your wearing rose tinted glasses when looking at his achievements, the rather sad fact remains that we have once again accumulated only 14 points after the first 18 matches of a Premiership season. The previous occasion was in 1998/99 when we finished 19th and were relegated.....

so rather than wondering if we can help get GS the sack id be more content to stay in the league!!!

I also find it rather fickle as to the attitude towards GS, he got us out of division 1, won us a worthington and i dont recall seeing many complaints then, fact is he got offered a better job and took it, i doubt many here would be turning round and saying no you can keep your much better/higher paid job thanks im fine here.....

Granted some of his transfers were poor but he did bring stead in last season which kept us up, lets see if sparky brings someone in which is going to the same in January............................

As for playing people out of position from what i've seen sparky is just as bad, ive seen emerton, jansen, thompson and reid all playing left wing when none of the are (as we saw in the GS era!) but has that stopped him playing them there....

Regardless of whether you hate GS with a passion or your wearing rose tinted glasses when looking at his achievements, the rather sad fact remains that we have once again accumulated only 14 points after the first 18 matches of a Premiership season. The previous occasion was in 1998/99 when we finished 19th and were relegated.....

15 points after 18 so we have avoided that bogey!

The reason for the passion against Souey is the lover spurned syndrome.

Yes Souness came to us when both the Rovers and him were in a trough and he massively over-achieved:

promotion

Worthy Cup

two entries to the UEFA (cannot call them campaigns)

2-0 and 5-0

But he was also an egotistical bullying arrogant fool who has no time for modern tactics or fitness methods.

At some point the Souness Dr Jekyll turned into Mr Hyde for all of us- two with perhaps closer knowledge of him (Jim 'n Jan) were against him from the start- but for the rest of us we turned from being passionate supporters to passionate detractors at some point realising the negatives were now hugely outweighing any residual positives.

For those who stayed loyal to the end came the final kick in the pants when he took Fat Freddie's wodge to join a "massive" club despite being at best fifth chojce in the most amateurly conducted Premiership management recruitment witnessed for some seasons.

Fat Freddie the Wrexham kicker, and Souness the Yorke kicker deserve each other.

Souness joins Gordon Lee, Dick Dinnis, Shearer and Dalglish in the list of those who won honours at the Rovers but not at Newcastle. tinykit.gif

Souness has been the most successful manager since the heady days of Dalglish.He dragged this club up from the depths of division 1 oblivion.....that night at Deepdale will live long in the memory!

Cardiff, Uefa cup football.......bar last season his time at Ewood WAS a success, yet I will wager cash that some sad, sad Rovers 'fans' will be all too ready to deride the man come Saturday.

Yes, he left in not so good circumstances but you have to take the rough with the smooth in life,we have moved on as a club,Souness has moved on.....forgive and forget.

Souey is currently finding that life is not always greener on the other side of that fence at St James's so perhaps the good 'owd Blackburn fold who are sharpening their knifes can take their masturbatory pleasure out on that fact instead.

Sections of our support made Rovers fans look complete tools with the shocking reception Shearer had to endure on his initial return to Ewood.....

PLEASE THINK AND DONT FOLLOW LIKE SHEEP THIS TIME.LIKE SHEARER THE MAN SOUNESS IS NOT DESERVING OF SUCH CHILDISH AND BITTER TREATMENT!

[t some point the Souness Dr Jekyll turned into Mr Hyde for all of us- two with perhaps closer knowledge of him (Jim 'n Jan) were against him from the start- but for the rest of us we turned from being passionate supporters to passionate detractors at some point realising the negatives were now hugely outweighing any residual positives.

Sorry but the former held a grudge against him seemingly because he snubbed his mascot child.

As for the latter, she only pops up when it suits her to bait fellow MB members.

Far from close knowledge in my book.

More like attention seekers.

Whilst I think demos and booing against Souness are probably counter-productive, there came a point in 2002/3 season with Dunn being misunderstood and Berg coming out and saying there were 10 players that the Manager had fallen out with, that got most of us doubting.

And the low crowd of 25,000 incl. 8000 Evertonians and only 20,000 of us left(max) stems out of the unrest and dismantling.So we have won 6 out of 35 home matches(guess) and the support is disillusioned -- whatever Souness did we are left with the wreckage and Hughesy has to stick it all together.

The conclusion is I probably will boo Sourness and his Dads Army and cheer Big Al when he comes on as a sub when they are losing 1-0.At least the barcodes paid us to transfer all the hasbeens up to Newcastle.

[t some point the Souness Dr Jekyll turned into Mr Hyde for all of us- two with perhaps closer knowledge of him (Jim 'n Jan) were against him from the start- but for the rest of us we turned from being passionate supporters to passionate detractors at some point realising the negatives were now hugely outweighing any residual positives.

Sorry but the former held a grudge against him seemingly because he snubbed his mascot child.

As for the latter, she only pops up when it suits her to bait fellow MB members.

Far from close knowledge in my book.

More like attention seekers.

Ok I don't know for sure but...

jim is a jouno who from time to time fed us more about Souness than was then currently known and pretty well all of it turned out depressingly accurate,

Jan has a position in the business world which has granted her access to the inner workings of the "upper echelons" of football north and south of the border and again she hasn't been proved wrong very often no matter how much she might irritate certain people.

My hope that there are no morons hanging around to give Souness a rough time before Newcastle get on the pitch.

Disdainful silence has got to be the best way of pricking his ego.

Some of the quotes from that article sound so familiar:

I see almost half the team playing in positions they can't produce their best:

he continues to upset players to such a degree all they want to do is get the hell out of town

His theory has always been "let's get it out in the open" and wherever he goes the slagging begins.

I wish some of the posts i made when i was Geordie-baiting after Souey joined his "bigger club" were still available. Seriously, is there any roverites who didn't see this coming?

When Souness came to Rovers, his career was on the scrap heap and he was joining a club which Brian Kidd had turned from a good mid table Prem side into a moribund bottom half Div 1 side with essentially the same players.

Souness had to work his way back up knowing there was no room for failure... for his career or the Rovers, and he did so magnificently.

However, success bred a resurgent paranoid ego, and a failure to understand that bully boy tactics kicking the Kidd dawdlers would not work with UEFA competitors. That combined with training which was out of the ark, poor fitness levels and a lack of tactical finesse to say the least and we all know what happened to Rovers.

In comes Fat Freddie and the Souness rationale goes something along the lines of....

"I was held back by a small club mentality at Rovers"

"I was a great success for them and now I get the big club I deserve"

"All I need is the right transfer budget!"

Allied to being told by the media and Fat Freddie "Newcastle went soft under Sir Bobby- it needs sorting out" which gives him an open invitation to be a mindless bully from day one.

He has no further ambition now as he has said himself that all the other top jobs are closed to him though how he fantasises he was "half way" to getting the Chelsea job is beyond me...

Those who believed Souness would give the bar codes three good years before going off the rails are wrong in my estimation. Newcastle have bought a ready made off-the-rails Souness.

I doubt Souness even realises that behind the scenes, the Rovers are light years ahead in professionalism compared with Newcastle. Its the only way we can compete effectively with a club which has more than double our revenue.

...and on Boxing Day, I expect we are going to show how effectively we can compete.

Had a feeling of deja-vu this morning on the way to work.

Radio reporting that Souness has fallen out with Robert and the player saying "he just doesn't talk to me anymore".

Got me thinking about how many other managers often get such publicity.

Seems to be something that follows Souness round. huh.gif

Souness can't sign Boumsong because Rangers keep rejecting his offers, and if we win on Boxing Day, he may well be looking for another job. I actually think that his head's gone funny since about 12 months before he left us. He's certainly not the same guy that came in and took over.

I gave him odds of at least short term success at Newcastle, at least in a cup or something, but it would seem that his cup's spilled over... Hey ho! At least it's not us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.