BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes V Souness

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bent on current form would make our team, but then we sold him to bring in Cole, overall that worked for us I would say. Without that deal we would probably be a division lower and not have won a cup.

Johnson I still don't think would make our team, especially now that we have Reid, Emerton and Thompson. Yes he's a decent premiership player, but he hasn't exactly taken it by storm.

How's the following line up grab you...

Filan

Curtis Berg Todd Taylor

Gillespie Dunn Flitty Hignett

Yorke Cole

Subs: Carsley, Bent, Johnson, Sukur

Grabs me as one who would get relegated this season.

Football fans have very short memories, over the course of Souness time with the club he was very successful. Look at our recent history last 20-30 years and you will agree! (Aside from the KD era). I think he had taken the club as far as he could have done and it was a blessing in disguise that Newcastle came in for him and we ended up with a btter manager.

I think the reception he recieved from us on Boxing day was atrocious, I am gonna offend a few on this forum now, but why is it that former successful managers / players at other clubs (not all but alot) get decent receptions yet unless you are a 'Blackburn' lad you are gonna struggle to get any kind of decent reception!!

Is it our small town small mind outlook on life!?!?!? exclamation.gif

Sorry if I offend anyone but I think we should have shown a bit more respect for the man...

Edited by Darwen Rover

Football fans have very short memories, over the course of Souness time with the club he was very successful. Look at our recent history last 20-30 years and you will agree! (Aside from the KD era). I think he had taken the club as far as he could have done and it was a blessing in disguise that Newcastle came in for him and we ended up with a btter manager.

I think the reception he recieved from us on Boxing day was atrocious, I am gonna offend a few on this forum now, but why is it that former successful managers / players at other clubs (not all but alot) get decent receptions yet unless you are a 'Blackburn' lad you are gonna struggle to get any kind of decent reception!!

Is it our small town small mind outlook on life!?!?!? exclamation.gif

Sorry if I offend anyone but I think we should have shown a bit more respect for the man...

aqbsolute bollux!!!!

if your girlfriend or wife walked out on you for a.nuthu ,what sort of reception would you give her the next time you saw her....not forgetting the good times you had with them previuos?

I can understand you using that analagy with the club but not with the manager, am a bit worried you see souness as a girlfreind or lover??????? you need help if that the case????

Souness did a JOB over a period of time, and then moved on... Get over it!! My point is that we can all find problems over detail but the bigger picture is:

1 - He got us into the prem league

2 - We won us the Worthington cup

3 - WE are still in the prem league not div 1 when he left!!!!!!

Edited by Darwen Rover

i appreciate your point darwen, but he got that reception because in a very short period of time he managed to transform us from a team that was in europe, with starlets such as duff, dunn et al, and mixed with experience such as berg's, to a team in a relegation dog fight.

no mean feat!!! he oversaw a meteoric decline down at ewood, and the fact is it could have been avoided, under better management.

don't get me wrong, we all appreciate what he did for us, but then he lost the plot, just look at newcastle for further evidence of this.

If that were the case, they would have been over-ruling the Manager. If they didn't fire Souness after such a blatant display of lack of confidence in the Manager, Souness would have every right and expectation to win a case of constructive dismissal in court.

In short your correction is totally wrong.

yes he did Darwen Blue but then what did he do ?

He jumped ship just as the going got tough leaving us in a bloody great big hole.

We can all thank him for his efforts but we or some can never forgive him for just walking out when it all appeared rosier up the north east.

Truth is is that Sourness has been found wanting on the management front over the past 15 months, both with Rovers and Newcastle. It is really that obvious.

The apparition that NUFC is a massive club, much more so that BRFC is a misconception. Okay we dont have 50k crowds, we dont have superstar players, we dont fill our stadium or have waiting lists for seasons tickets. One thing we do have is a club that runs itself efficiently, from the top dog to the tea ladies. If only Newcastle could be like that then they might just have that chance of being a really massive club. In any case with sourness in charge newcastle are only heading in one direction and that is DOWN rolleyes.gif

If that were the case, they would have been over-ruling the Manager. If they didn't fire Souness after such a blatant display of lack of confidence in the Manager, Souness would have every right and expectation to win a case of constructive dismissal in court.

philipl

The point I was making is that the Board could have pushed Souness before he jumped. Cole said before the Fulham game that he would probably still be at Ewood if Souness had left in the Summer.

philipl

The point I was making is that the Board could have pushed Souness before he jumped. Cole said before the Fulham game that he would probably still be at Ewood if Souness had left in the Summer.

they couldn't really, preivous to last season he got the team 6th in the legue, 10th with a cup and europe twice in respective years, and a promotion.

Moyles was not sacked he came 17th and now is 3rd.

so it may have been the right decision to sack him but it would have been very highly unlikely because of his track record and we won 5 out of the last 7 games of last season

On the other hand, isn't it the job of the board to take into account the 4000 season ticket holders who have withdrawn their support?

There was one very good reason for that - even taking into account the 6th place finish, the entertainment/results at Ewood were appauling.

Souness did well to last as long as he did. IMO, the board should have stepped in before Cole was given away.

1. Souness did well for the first few years and if some other club had come in for him after the Spurs / UEFA Cup qualification game we would still be bemoaning the loss of one of the best managers that we have ever had.

2. A senior director said to me last spring 'The stupid wnkear has totally lost the plot'! Hardly a resounding vote of confidence I suggest. As it turned out he had, and he would have been sacked (with all the costs that entails) by now anyway.

3. I just hope that the bad feeling I continue to have about some of his signings eg Grabbi, Ferguson, Amoruso does not one day turn out to be linked to any form of backhanders etc. dry.gif

People have short memories though. Ok we had a season of dire home form but thats not an excuse just give up on the club.

I thought for the majority of time when GS was in charge we were treated to some attacking, exciting football and the quality of our play was brilliant. We were always a bit loose at the back but that was the way we played to good effect.

Of course when you lose the talent of Duff etc its harder to produce a show.

John, people have long memories. Even with Duff we were dire. It went on for more than one year as well.

The season when we finished 6th, do you remember the last home game of the season against West Brom? Let me remind you - at the final whistle, half of the fans had gone home. The team had been booed off and the "lap of honour" smile.gif, was the best referrence to Rovers performances that the board could have got.

Unfortunately, they couldn't see the wood for the trees. they were astonished that ST sales dropped by 10%, not many of the fans were.

They should have acted then.

Difference of opinion here- on the whole we played good football under Souness. You cant turn it on every game!

Of course people remember the last part of his reign where things went wrong- lot of injuries mixed in with bizarre team selections and playing people out of position.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.