BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Broadband

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok im being numpty i know,anyone got btyahoo broadband?

i already had a yahoo account before i got broadband its my main email account,but not ive got this bt/yahoo every time i try and sign out of it to get my mail i cut off....anyone help im ready to chuck it in the bin. withstupid.gif and have to sign in again,but cant get to my other account

numpty time again.......when i get a picture ,on my previous online time I right click and get the properties and am able to "img" but now i cant i get

link save as target bookmark

any help?

ps why does bt/yahoo not put links on email??

time to back to aol 56 methinks

Edited by ABBEY

numpty time again.......when i get a picture ,on my previous online time I right click and get the properties and am able to "img" but now i cant i get

link save as target bookmark

any help?

ps why does bt/yahoo not put links on email??

time to back to aol 56 methinks

Abbey I have btyahoo and I was going to say I don't have that problem with photos But I just tried it and your right it can't be done. This has only just changed as I've done this to post images before.

The way round it is this. Use Internet explorer to find your pics and then link from there. user posted image

On the e-mail thing I usually just type or paste in the URL and it works fine. That silly little hyperlink symbol doesn't seem to work.

• 3 weeks later...

im going for an indian on a family meal tonihght but willl log on when i get in and see if your on.....i think firewall?maybe my prob i get CONNECTION TIMEOUT.....i can get to the hubs but cant do anything with them doh! windows xp btw

Edited by ABBEY

• 3 weeks later...

Ahem,

Just a small point guys. Peer-2-Peer networks aren't in themselves bad or illegal, which is why we allow people to discuss them.

Downloading copyrighted material (without permission) is illegal and discussing it is against both our and our host's guidelines (so please don't). Also you're pretty much admitting to a crime (even if many of our readers don't see it that way) in a very public place, which is never a good thing, especially as the movie and music industries are now both starting to put p2p sharers (i.e. the little folks, not the major league distributors) in court (and I hope the software industry starts to follow suit, because thats were *I* personally lose out).

• 10 months later...

I know this is a old topic but didnt want to start a new thread. Just thought I would sharea E-mail I got off BT today concerning broadband on Fernhurst Farm, as I know a few posters have expressed a interest in the lack of it in these parts.

Thank you for your e-mail dated 1/11/05 about BT Broadband or BT Broadband Basic.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to you and for any inconvenience this may have caused.

There are still some areas of the country that cannot get broadband. To help you understand why, we'd like to explain the background to the service that we currently offer.

BT is bound by the terms of its licence to provide a basic voice telephony service throughout the UK. In accordance with European Law, it must supply a connection speed of no less than 2.4Kbps - the minimum for voice telephony.

To achieve this, we may use a dedicated metallic path (which is always our preferred method), a pair gain device (such as DACS) or fibre optic cables. The solution chosen depends on the customer's location and the network availability in their area. If a metallic path is not possible, for instance, because of the distance from the exchange, then we have to supply a telephone service to our customers via fibre optic cables. There are also a few new housing estates across the country where BT invested in fibre optic cabling as it dealt with some specific capacity/line length problems.

Today's broadband ADSL works over copper, not over fibre. So unfortunately customers in these areas will not be able to get broadband via their telephone connection for the time being.

BT is supporting the concept of using alternative technologies such as satellite, fibre to the home/office, fixed wireless and mobile to deliver broadband services where ADSL is not possible.

We are also considering the introduction of a simple fix for the fibre optic problem. The solution would use copper cables - some existing, some new - to bypass the fibre optics.

So even if you can't get broadband now, we're working to make sure it won't be too long before you can.

We're sorry if this is disappointing for you, but please keep checking our website at www.bt.com/btbroadband for further updates.

Bt.com

If you should have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us again via e-mail.

My 12 months is up for renewal soon with AOL, and I'm considering switching providers, not that I've had any bad experiences / poor service. Just looking for the best deal, and I dont download too much at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP?

Has anyone switched before? is it simple?

hey ah mate i have had some info a good month ago from a bt enginneer and he saying that they are actually doing copper wire from exchange to the estate box because thats where the fibre cable is and is in its last stage off completion.

and he was saying that it should all be sorted defornatly by end off this year.

he told me this when the fones went down one time a month ago ish because i live on fernhurst aswell on dalglish drive.

also he said it is unofficial news from bt so if you ask them you wont get anything worse luck and i reacon they doign new copper wire because off the school.

also in a year or 2 we will prob be able to get the fibre alternative once its finished its trials its 20 times faster than the normal adsl broadband at the moment that is as long as they leave the fibre and coper down biggrin.gif .

Hope this spreads some light on it for you and if cannot wait there is a broadband alternative out there which can get if want.

/thebigguy

Jim, I've been using Force9 for a few months now. No problems, 15 quid a month, 2 meg and I don't think there's any usage limit. No charge for moving. Was the best deal around when I was looking (thoroughly brassed off with BT). Available wherever BT's ADSL is. Should be a doddle to switch, just need a MAC key from your current ISP (BT weren't too happy to supply). Billing etc all done electronically, works well. Let me know if you go for them, think they have some sort of referral scheme, so might be able to get you a few quid off.

Eek, didn't see this thread.

I live on Fernhurst Farm, BT Wholesale tell me (via my ISP) that I'll have 1mb broadband by next week.

The checker at www.bt.com/broadband no longer mentions 'special fibre' so if you live near me, get ordering now.

Scrap the above message, I've now got a copper connection and this message comes direct from ADLS broadband biggrin.gif

359512[/snapback]

Cheers Lee, just spoke to a BT bloke with his head in a cabinet and he said he was transferring them as we spoke. Who are you using as your provider ?

Cheers as well thebigguy

Edited by ah

I've chosen Zen Broadband, not the cheapest, but they are a local (Rochdale) company, with a long history of providing good connections and an excellent customer service, they've also started to trial LLU in Rochdale but thats for another day/thread.

Got a stable 1mb connection.

The bloke the cabinet must have been the one who called me up biggrin.gif

Either I timed my application well or the fact that I mentioned my dilema to Zen when I applied helped I don't know.

Get that order in quick before all the copper pairs are used. Bob Fleming wasted no time, he's already applied.

Edited by Lee

mine aint changed on the site yet mad.gif

so looks like i cannot get just yet and there should be enough space on copper for us all on estate

But have got 2 lines going into house but that still shouldnt be a problem fingers crossed eh

Edited by thebigguy

mine aint changed on the site yet  mad.gif

so looks like i cannot get just yet and there should be enough space on copper for us all on estate

359574[/snapback]

Mine has not changed on the BT site either, still mentions special fibre cable. But have signed up with BT online and have gone straight through the registration process and got a e-mail address activation date etc so here's hoping !!!!!!

Mine has not changed on the BT site either, still mentions special fibre cable. But have signed up with BT online and have gone straight through the registration process and got a e-mail address activation date etc so here's hoping !!!!!!

359578[/snapback]

i gonna have to get aol though like and we have 3 pc's (2 desktop and 1 labtop) and xbox 360 to connect to it aswell so should be fun me setting the bugger up eh biggrin.gif

me dad ordered it threw bt one time like that made wait 2 weeks and then another week and said we where to far dad went absolutly mad with them lol

Edited by thebigguy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.