BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Broadband

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NTL are upping speeds to nearer 10MB soon, not bad!

359581[/snapback]

bt have finished there trails off 8meg to 24 meg adsl 2+ but wotn be to houses for a while

and bt are doing another trial off 8meg adsl.

they are also trailing a fibre optic cable alternative which is 20 times faaster than adsl aswell but do think ntl have always been the ones to keep the fast connections ahead off the rest

Thanks for those posts chaps, I'm also at Fernhurst and have been puzzled for a while as to why my broadband applications have been getting knocked back, and my own enquiries to BT have been fruitless.

359733[/snapback]

i have known for a while why its been knocked back but i new some people that work or did work for bt.

But they been saying its distance when it has not been all time and was because broadband goes threw a copper wire and not a fibre cable that we have just to the estate box from blackburn exchange not between estate box and house.

Hopefully we all can get broadband on estate by end off week (well ordered)

eek, maybe I should have informed people of why they couldn't get broadband when I found out in June 2003!

I've been in regular discussion with BT since then. Despite knowing I wouldn't be able to get broadband, it hasn't stopped me ordering it with several different companies.

Some of them (NTL, AOL, Tiscali - in other words, the usual hopeless ones) are fool enough to send me a free adsl modem too smile.gif

If you want to remain sane, don't choose Bulldog.

eek, maybe I should have informed people of why they couldn't get broadband when I found out in June 2003!

I've been in regular discussion with BT since then. Despite knowing I wouldn't be able to get broadband, it hasn't stopped me ordering it with several different companies.

Some of them (NTL, AOL, Tiscali - in other words, the usual hopeless ones) are fool enough to send me a free adsl modem too smile.gif

If you want to remain sane, don't choose Bulldog.

359941[/snapback]

I think it was earlyer than that when i found out the proper reason why couldnt get broadband. so been a long wait sad.gif

i will prob get aol because i am already on aol and plus i game alot and with the new xbox 360 coming out i dont relli wanna be capped and plus will have 3 computers and the xbox connected to it.

On second note the checker still aint changed and aint saw the bt man at the estate box since wednesday mad.gif so dunno when i get might still order it now and explain to aol the situation.

Edited by thebigguy

Thanks for those posts chaps, I'm also at Fernhurst and have been puzzled for a while as to why my broadband applications have been getting knocked back, and my own enquiries to BT have been fruitless.

359733[/snapback]

You need to read the 'Half price season tickets' thread. Seriously.

tinykit.gif

I see the BT people are keeping quiet about the ducks and squirrels. dry.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

I've chosen Zen Broadband, not the cheapest, but they are a local (Rochdale) company, with a long history of providing good connections and an excellent customer service, they've also started to trial LLU in Rochdale but thats for another day/thread.

Got a stable 1mb connection.

The bloke the cabinet must have been the one who called me up biggrin.gif

Either I timed my application well or the fact that I mentioned my dilema to Zen when I applied helped I don't know.

Get that order in quick before all the copper pairs are used. Bob Fleming wasted no time, he's already applied.

359553[/snapback]

I just got a fone call from bt saying i can get broadband up to 1meg gone with aol gave us a good discount biggrin.gif negotiation and being long time members helps thumbs-up.gif

Should have gone active last night, when nowt happened all night I rang BT this morning and got told that there is no copper overlay to this part of the estate yet. So am now the owner of two sets of modems and micro-filter but still no connection. Anyone else actually active apart from Lee ?????

Should have gone active last night, when nowt happened all night I rang BT this morning and got told that there is no copper overlay to this part of the estate yet. So am now the owner of two sets of modems and micro-filter but still no connection. Anyone else actually active apart from Lee ?????

361603[/snapback]

gutted mate which part u in because might be that ur on one off the other 2 estate boxes instead off the one on main road up and they just done to that box yet and not yours

mine should be done week on monday tops *fingers crossed*

Well, at last, I'm up and running on this new fangled broadband business. Well I am at the moment, I saw a squirrel out the back earlier who looked none too pleased about it. Evil looking sod he was.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, there's not much difference if you ask me apart from it's a lot quicker.

I'm not far from the box on Jack Walker way (Dalglish) if that's any help ah - which it isn't.

If anyone is short on microfilters I've four spare from previous attempts to get broadband from BT. Each time I was told that there wouldn't be a problem, even when I asked them to double check, and it still didn't bleeding work.

The thing is ah, unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no way of knowing when they'll have upgraded to copper in your corner of the farm (unless you spot them removing squirrels and ducks from a grey BT box on the side of the road near your house). They certainly won't ring you, "Ah, Mr ah, you'll be pleased to know that you can get broadband now, sorry for pissing you about old chap, we don't know what we're doing." That won't happen. I only knew because Lee found out.

Good luck anyway, surely they won't leave one corner of the estate without?

Well, at last, I'm up and running on this new fangled broadband business. Well I am at the moment, I saw a squirrel out the back earlier who looked none too pleased about it. Evil looking sod he was.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, there's not much difference if you ask me apart from it's a lot quicker.

I'm not far from the box on Jack Walker way (Dalglish) if that's any help ah - which it isn't.

If anyone is short on microfilters I've four spare from previous attempts to get broadband from BT. Each time I was told that there wouldn't be a problem, even when I asked them to double check, and it still didn't bleeding work.

The thing is ah, unless I'm very much mistaken, there's no way of knowing when they'll have upgraded to copper in your corner of the farm (unless you spot them removing squirrels and ducks from a grey BT box on the side of the road near your house). They certainly won't ring you, "Ah, Mr ah, you'll be pleased to know that you can get broadband now, sorry for pissing you about old chap, we don't know what we're doing." That won't happen.  I only knew because Lee found out.

Good luck anyway, surely they won't leave one corner of the estate without?

361852[/snapback]

You never no with bt but i think they just done copper to first box not the oither one well yet but hopefully will do for you lot soon eh laugh.gif

• 2 months later...
My 12 months is up for renewal soon with AOL, and I'm considering switching providers, not that I've had any bad experiences / poor service. Just looking for the best deal, and I dont download too much at the moment.

Can anyone recommend a broadband ISP?

Has anyone switched before? is it simple?

359372[/snapback]

Still looking to switch ISP's, anyone got any good recommendations?

Still looking to switch ISP's, anyone got any good recommendations?

382970[/snapback]

Still the same as Nov...........

Jim, I've been using Force9 for a few months now.  No problems, 15 quid a month, 2 meg and I don't think there's any usage limit.  No charge for moving.  Was the best deal around when I was looking (thoroughly brassed off with BT).  Available wherever BT's ADSL is.  Should be a doddle to switch, just need a MAC key from your current ISP (BT weren't too happy to supply).  Billing etc all done electronically, works well.  Let me know if you go for them, think they have some sort of referral scheme, so might be able to get you a few quid off.

............. still no bother.

Force9 are part of PlusNet. I would suggest looking at the PlusNet forums on ADSL Guide for more information from users.

I was with PlusNet myself for two years before they started introducing caps and traffic shaping without telling anyone whilst still claiming they weren't. I know they were trying to sort out their poor customer communications before I left but don't know whether this happened. I've got to say though that I never had a single problem with speed or connection in the time I was with them.

I only left in the end as BT's rubbish line limits wouldn't even let me upgrade to 1mb. I'm now happily on 2mb with an LLU provider.

Jim, switching should be simple with any ADSL provider. Simply request your MAC (Migration Authorisation Code) from your current provider and then enter this during the online sign up with the new provider. Just make sure you do want to move when you request your MAC as some providers will cancel your account after the 30 day notice period whereas others will keep you on if you haven't used it.

Adding to that, the £14.99 packages are capped packages of which there are 2.

Pay As You Go - You only get 1gb included (download and upload) and you pay for each gb over that.

Broadband Plus - This allows about 5gb of usage per month however newsgroups and peer to peer applications are either blocked or heavily restricted speed wise (can't remember which now)

For what is meant to be "unlimited" you have to go for Premier which is £21.99 per month. This is not actually unlimited but is more than most people need. From a few months ago, people only started getting snot-a-grams when they continually downloaded over 150gb per month. Traffic is shaped on this product though so newsgroups and p2p will only get 20k downloads whereas web browsing will work at full speed for example.

Aol have unlimited and fairly cheap but there will prob be another one or 2

I got my adsl sorted beginning of january prob already downloaded like 10gb already but doesnt help wen got xbox 360 and my pc and labtop all that use web except 360 because can download demos and clips

check http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ will have list off loads off different isp's

Edited by thebigguy

Just phoned AOL to request my MAC code, and what a nightmare.

I end up on the phone to a call center in India, to a women who struggles to speak and understand English.

First of all, I had to read my phone number to her 5 times before she managed to enter the right one, I suppose she could have been numircally dislexic. huh.gif

Then I requested my MAC code. (I only had to repeat this once)

She then proceeded to ask me why I wanted to switch ISPs.

After giving her my 2 main reasons, price and speed, she then asked me if there was any other reason.

I said no.

She then asked who I was switching to, I told her I hadn't decided.

She then wanted to know what prices and speeds they were offering, I told her to check the friggin internet.

I was getting quite irate by this stage, and asked her to stop asking me questions, and give me my MAC code.

She then asked me if there were any other reasons why I wanted to leave AOL.

I said no.

She then started harping on about all the services that AOL offer. By this stage I was at boiling point.

She then suggested it would be better if I called back later in the month for my MAC code, cant remember her reason for this.

Finally, she asked me again, "are there any other reasons why you want to leave AOL?"

"Your crap call center" was my reply. mad.gif

It will take 2 days for my MAC code to come through, then its good ridance to AOL. thumbs-up.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.