BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Broadband

The only thing is Biddy, that the "Connection Speed 15323 kbps 764 kbps" figures, don't change. I reckon that is what the router is configured to. Using the speed test at the bottom of my last post, it's currently giving around 3MB/sec, but I'm running well now. I'll check it when the speed really dips. [as long as I can get the site up]. :wacko:

No, that is the sync speed of the line itself and it won't change, not unless the line itself gets really bad or develops a fault. That is the best indicator of what speed you would be getting if you had sole access to the ISP with no one else contending with you.

3mb isn't bad but not really what you would be expecting.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that is the sync speed of the line itself and it won't change, not unless the line itself gets really bad or develops a fault. That is the best indicator of what speed you would be getting if you had sole access to the ISP with no one else contending with you.

3mb isn't bad but not really what you would be expecting.

Thanks for your input Biddy, it's really interesting.

BTW, down to 131kbs. :(

Edited by den

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know that the slow speed problem has been fixed. After a few discussions with Sky, I recieved this message:

Thank you for contacting Sky Broadband Technical Support.

I can confirm that we have made some configuration changes to your line, and this is the reason that you have noticed a visible difference in your broadband connection.

We have adjusted your settings so that your line now receives the optimal speed for your line and this also takes into account the distance that you live from your telephone exchange.

No problem at all with speed now. Using THIS test, I'm at around 7MB, even at peak times.

Thanks for EVERYONES help.

They can set target Signal to Noise ratios, speeds etc at their end. ISP's usually do it if they think a line is going to be bad so that it doesn't keep dropping on you whilst using it. Nothing worse than irate customers saying they lose connection every 10 minutes. Better a slow connection than none at all.

I think they probably just unticked the "We're a stupid ISP" setting.

Does anyone know to change the WEP encryption key on XP & Vista for wireless connection? I thought that I’d managed to change it but keep on being unsuccessful. Any advice would be helpful

Secondly my G’friend has signed up to AOL Wireless and was promised a top speed of 8 mb, yet I ran the website which Den linked her max speed for downloads was under 1 mg which is pitiful. Their obviously a problem, Is it an ISP issue? a problem with here laptop or both. Because the results seem really slow for wireless internet

Does anyone know to change the WEP encryption key on XP & Vista for wireless connection? I thought that I’d managed to change it but keep on being unsuccessful. Any advice would be helpful

Secondly my G’friend has signed up to AOL Wireless and was promised a top speed of 8 mb, yet I ran the website which Den linked her max speed for downloads was under 1 mg which is pitiful. Their obviously a problem, Is it an ISP issue? a problem with here laptop or both. Because the results seem really slow for wireless internet

Just twp points Bazza.

1] I've no idea how precise that link to speeds is.

2] No doubt they promise UP TO 8Mb

Even so, you should take them to task on their service. Under 1 Mb is nowhere near 8Mb is it! Sorry I can't help further.

You have to log onto your router to change the key. Or if you already done that then go into network settings in control panel and click the wireless and there should be part fof it where it can scan for wireless networks. Try to connect to one and then put key code in when it asks and should save it.

AOL actually say that it is up to 8meg not that you will get 8meg. They say this on any off there price plans.

I am on aol thats how i know.

Other than that i would say for you to go on BT website and put your phone number in for adsl checker. And this will tell you the speed you should get.

Edited by thebigguy

Do you mean for your computer to remember your newly changed key? Or how to change the key? If its the latter, you do it on your router. If its the former, best to delete the profile.

In XP, call up the Wireless Network Connection directory (under "Connect to" on the start menu), select from the left panel "Change the order of preferred networks" scroll through all the saved wireless points you have, and delete the appropriate one.

Then just do a new scan, connect to your network and key in the new WEP encryption key.

No idea how its done in Vista, but no doubt it'll involve clicking on a lot of pop-up warnings though :)

• 1 month later...

My parents have just swapped to BT Broadband and Mum's computer has had a wireless card added. They have installed that and the little icon is green and saying that the connection is good. But when you open Internet Explorer it is saying that there is no connection and won't find any web pages.

Any ideas???

It is not the internet as I am logged onto their wireless using this laptop

Edited by Hannah

My parents have just swapped to BT Broadband and Mum's computer has had a wireless card added. They have installed that and the little icon is green and saying that the connection is good. But when you open Internet Explorer it is saying that there is no connection and won't find any web pages.

Any ideas???

It is not the internet as I am logged onto their wireless using this laptop

Is she opperating on Vista, or xp, as my bt hub wont recognise my vista opperated desktop when connected with wireless.

Edited by Alan75

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.