BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pre Match Entertainment

on saturday last Den and myself spent the pre match and post match drinking in one of the most basic public houses that you will ever see.

No bottles, plastic glasses, spilled beer on the floor, no radiators, poor toilets and no furniture but absolutley filled to the rafters and with a totally amazing atmosphere and a room full of tv's on the wall.

Basically, it was a football supporters pub, that ensures that you get the maximum pre match buzz. Music that was as loud as anything and blurring classics such as the Sex Pistols, Clash, Oasis and the Smiths. In between we had renditions from the dj - yes dj and supporters of the city football songs.

The beer was not that good, however I walked across to the COMS in an absolutely fantastic mood which remained with me until we had a bag of chips prior to getting on the coach for the trip back to euxton.

My suggestion is this. I know scotty and many others are locals to the bar at the side of the cut (canal for poshies) adjacent to Albion Mill. If anyone has a contact at this newly opened bar then this topic would probably be a good suggestion to get football fans in the mood for the match. It made me so calm that when Rovers went 1-0 down I knew I hadn't an ounce of panic in me and fully expected a rovers comeback.

In short it made me feel just right for the match, got me going and I was with the city fans. If Rovers supporters could mirror by half what goes on in that pub then it would no doubt help to create a better atmosphere within the ground.

The pub is more than big enough for a few hundred fans, plenty of ale sloshing around, a dj and a place where loud bouncy tunes can be blasted about without worrying the dead.

Just a suggestion and I am sure that Den was actually rocking in his shoes and doing the POGO to Pretty Vacant tinykit.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Slightly off topic,but it has to do with pre-match entertainment in a way,i think the damn song that players when the lads are coming in should be changed to something that would spur on the troops and players.

Im thinking of

Bryan Adams- We're gonna win

Um, there is NEVER any call for Bryan Adams. Ever.

How about the Rocky themetune? Inspiring, enlivening, inane. All the things you want from a good themetune!

What pub is that?

It's the one at the back of Albion Mill. You get to it from LBR by turning down the hill on the bend on LBR. Used to me a night club I think and has just be re-opened by a guy who also runs a restaurant on George Street in Chorley. Can't remember the name at present

He was telling me abot the place a few weeks back, but I hadn't realised it was already open. He is very interested to attract fans on match day, also very keen to know what fans would want to eat. I suggested chicken Balti wink.gif

Slightly off topic,but it has to do with pre-match entertainment in a way,i think the damn song that players when the lads are coming in should be changed to something that would spur on the troops and players.

Im thinking of

Bryan Adams- We're gonna win

I'd rather listen to a duet by Gerald Jackson & Wendy featuring Ken Beamish!!!!

What pub is that?

It's the one at the back of Albion Mill. You get to it from LBR by turning down the hill on the bend on LBR. Used to me a night club I think and has just be re-opened by a guy who also runs a restaurant on George Street in Chorley. Can't remember the name at present

He was telling me abot the place a few weeks back, but I hadn't realised it was already open. He is very interested to attract fans on match day, also very keen to know what fans would want to eat. I suggested chicken Balti wink.gif

Not being local, I could well be wrong but I think 1864 is talking about the Navigation or The Moorings and Paul is talking about The Waters Edge (same canal, but some distance apart).

I'd love the Waters Edge to reopen, it was my pre-match pub for quite some time, plenty of room, pool and pinball, reasonable beer (cheap too), giant screen, pretty much all you needed.

What pub is that?

Not being local, I could well be wrong but I think 1864 is talking about the Navigation and Paul is talking about The Waters Edge (same canal, but some distance apart).

I'd love the Waters Edge to reopen, it was my pre-match pub for quite some time, plenty of room, pool and pinball, reasonable beer (cheap too), giant screen, pretty much all you needed.

Very unlocal! (Thank God there's still only one canal in Mill Hill!)

1864 is indeed on about The Water's Edge.

It is opening again.

Get it in t'Travel Guide.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

What pub is that?

Not being local, I could well be wrong but I think 1864 is talking about the Navigation and Paul is talking about The Waters Edge (same canal, but some distance apart).

Very unlocal! (Thank God there's still only one canal in Mill Hill!)

1864 is indeed on about The Water's Edge.

It is opening again.

Get it in t'Travel Guide.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

What's wrong with marching brass bands?

Hear, hear.

If there's one thing that gets my goat it's the blaring, tinpot beat combo "music" that passes for pre-match "entertainment" at Ewood these days. Destroys the atmosphere while deafened supporters sit in stunned silence at the banality of it all.

In't good old days the brass band would march up and down the pitch from half an hour before kick-off and there would be a gradual build up of excitement leading to the teams running out on the pitch.

Believe it or not, the players used to come out to a big cheer from the crowd, supporters sang songs and the actual kick-off was accompanied by a roar. Compare that to the excruciating pre-match "experience" nowadays.

Ban pop music and bring back brass bands. Who needs booze to deaden the senses when you have proper entertainment ? It might just catch on.

If you mean the one right behind Albion Mill, on the canal (sorry, cut) about 20 yards away from the bridge that is the one I'm talking about.

I think it's going to be or perhaps is already a pub, bistro etc. Must say though that when I looked before the last home game not much seemed to be happening. In which case the owner I spoke to could have been on about The Navigation. I'll have a look on Sunday.

Tiz true!

The waters edge is the place you are on about.

It has been renamed Sams or something like that.

I went in last night (thurs) with my pal, it was very quiet (only about 6 people in) but that is to be expected on a thursday night in Millhill sad.gif

The place is massive ,but it does look like the top bar & seating area is a kind of restaurant/cafe bar. The bottom bar is pretty much the same, painted white with a shiny metallic bar top & a couple of 42inch plasma screens high up on the walls.

The best atnosphere i`ve experienced in there was when England beat germany 1-0 (when Shearer scored) the place was packed to the rafters & everyone one singing & dancing & generally being rowdy! rover.gif ......so it proves the place has got potential!

I bet a top notch covers band, playing lots of bouncy stuff would go down a treat in there on matchdays.

....oh! & it`s £1.40 for a pint of bitter anole! thumbs-up.gif

My suggestion is this. I know scotty and many others are locals to the bar at the side of the cut (canal for poshies) adjacent to Albion Mill.

I go in The Moorings which is on the other side of the canal further towards Blackburn (near The Infirmary). I think it's best that I stay there - my mum might kill anyone who starting pogoing near her!!

My suggestion is this. I know scotty and many others are locals to the bar at the side of the cut (canal for poshies) adjacent to Albion Mill.

I go in The Moorings which is on the other side of the canal further towards Blackburn (near The Infirmary). I think it's best that I stay there - my mum might kill anyone who starting pogoing near her!!

Don't try to pretend you weren't pogoing to "Johnny Sax and his Sax" before the 'boro game!! wink.gif

The place is massive ,but it does look like the top bar & seating area is a kind of restaurant/cafe bar. The bottom bar is pretty much the same, painted white with a shiny metallic bar top & a couple of 42inch plasma screens high up...

The Waters Edge/Sams and The Moorings sound very similar. Just replace the words "42 inch plasma" with "12inch portable", replace "shiny metallic" with "plastic" and replace the "w" with an "s" and that's the Moorings in a nutshell!

I went to the opening night last Wednesday, (the Boss is a mate of mine) and there was a free bar till 9.00. Needless to say our table was full at 5 to.

He is looking to pull in some match day punters, and with the size, TVs and food available I think it should.

I recall we used to play that Bryan Adams song, I think 96-97 season, I can definately say it was that season cos we got beat off Man U at Ewood and I think Warhurst was our lone striker and scored..... my god

I remember Warhurst scoring in the home defeat against ManUre in 94/95 championship winning season.

What's wrong with marching brass bands?

Hear, hear.

If there's one thing that gets my goat it's the blaring, tinpot beat combo "music" that passes for pre-match "entertainment" at Ewood these days. Destroys the atmosphere while deafened supporters sit in stunned silence at the banality of it all.

In't good old days the brass band would march up and down the pitch from half an hour before kick-off and there would be a gradual build up of excitement leading to the teams running out on the pitch.

Believe it or not, the players used to come out to a big cheer from the crowd, supporters sang songs and the actual kick-off was accompanied by a roar. Compare that to the excruciating pre-match "experience" nowadays.

Ban pop music and bring back brass bands. Who needs booze to deaden the senses when you have proper entertainment ? It might just catch on.

I think your showing your age old boy. I don't think anybody has called a band a 'beat combo' since about 1965. Maybe there is a hippy under that tired old type face...... Jim in the summer of love, flowers behind the ears, frolicking across the fields.

Its an endearing (or frightening) image....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.