BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Yorke And The Fans

chris

Some unconnected thoughts:

- I think Abbey is right when he says the initial booing was for the linesman. I know I was yelling at the screen and they hadn't shown Yorke coming on.

- Once it got going, the crowd made so much noise booing Yorke it became self-sustaining. However, Yorke made so little contribution there was nothing to boo after the origional commotion had subsided.

- the Rovers have always booed returning players. I remember Mike Ferguson gettting a huge amount of unwarranted abuse when he reurned with Villa in the '60s and I've always felt the reaction against Shearer was unjustifiable. Johnty goot a bit of stick last night and I was surprised that Dunn was spared.

- Yorkie wasn't that bad for us but was still a huge disappointment when compared with what he could/should have been. 18 months of his time at Ewood coincided with the whole club being a huge disappointment so he became a cypher and conduit for the rage and frustration.

- Chances are journos from around the world will look at this thread. Chris/Tris tiff- please don't tell me what that was about because I rarely understand Chris' posts!

- I never did like Steve Bruce. The sensible thing for everybody would have been to make a quiet but very strongly worded complaint to the Rovers and Premier League. Yorke clearly allowed the altercation to upset him. Bruce has made sure every biggot in the land now knows that.

- This is a PR disaster for the Rovers. Every newswire from China to Porrtugal seems to be carrying the story. JW is going to have to use every ounce of his media savvy to rescue the club's good name from this one.

- With the Spanish fall out escalating (little matters of an Olympic bid and the future of Aragones as Spanish coach at stake) lots of people have lots of reasons for keeping the actions of those two stupid bitter Rovers fans in the headlines for days to come.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems none of the admin/mods team was around last night. This morning I have taken a very unusual step and removed a total of 19 posts from this thread which have only a passing relevance to the topic.

A series of insults and remarks where exchanged between two members which had any of the team been around would have been nipped in the bud immediately. Personal insults, as everyone knows, are not tolerated on the MB. I'm not happy to have done this but I think it's in everyone's best interest. All the posts have been saved for reference if necessary. If anyone has a problem with this please PM me.

Right now what we need is Rovers fans telling the world we are not racist rather than showing the world we can squabble amongst ourselves with the best of them.

There are a few very important facts about the Yorke scenario, in my personal view:

1. Only one fan on here was aware of anything resembling racist abuse.

2. It would seem only two fans were involved in the incident.

3. No one can say for sure if this was racist or not

4. The club acted immediately to eject a fan for making obscene getsures

5. Point 4 gives Blackburn Rovers a better record on racism than the Spanish FA, police, stewards etc.

Support your club - tell the truth.

Not having been there wink.gif

but could it be that Mr Yorke might be crying "wolf" at someone doing a winking motion?

Only one person (apparently) was ejected for making "hand gestures".

If everyone who made a "hand gesture" at Ewood on Sunday was ejected, then there would be no one in the place; players included.

Let the powers that be determine what went on and then, only then make comment.

I was at the game yesterday,JW Upper towards the BBE, anf can usually see and hear a lot.

I heard nothing and the first I knew about it was a major reference on radio 5 Live this morning when Steve Bruce was quoted. They did not even mention the score. Just watch the media go big time on this and drag us in the mud. Bruce is using this non event as mind games.

Great. Second story on Sky news (just after baby selling) complete with video footage of two muppets on the front of the BBE, one flicking the "v"'s the other, I have to say by his body language it was far more imitating the stance of a monkey than giving a w****r sign with both hands.

However, at least Sky are getting the point across that it is Three fans (although one seemed to be doing nothing more than standing at the front flicking the Vs).

The club HAS to do some damage limitation on this quickly, the footage is pretty damage. The HAVE to get the point out that this was ONE FAN.

We've obviously asked the clubs press relations company for their official statement, as soon as we get it, we post it for all to see.

Great. Second story on Sky news (just after baby selling) complete with video footage of two muppets on the front of the BBE, one flicking the "v"'s the other, I have to say by his body language it was far more imitating the stance of a monkey than giving a w****r sign with both hands.

However, at least Sky are getting the point across that it is Three fans (although one seemed to be doing nothing more than standing at the front flicking the Vs).

The club HAS to do some damage limitation on this quickly, the footage is pretty damage. The HAVE to get the point out that this was ONE FAN.

We've obviously asked the clubs press relations company for their official statement, as soon as we get it, we post it for all to see.

This is really getting on my nerves. I awoke with GMTV this morning and their MAIN story was about Yorke and the racist rovers fans. They said on the news that two people made the noises and then ALL of the Blackburn fans started too boo him.

Now lets look at the facts:-

If like on Glenns report, these two idiots were in the BBE how would Yorke have been able to hear them from the touch line (after all, he could never hear Souness telling him to put the ball in the back of the net)

The people on GMTV reported that the fans were booing well Black, White, Yellow, or Green, if you played rubbish for your previous club and you come back then your going to get booed. Its got nothing to do with being racist

I find this as typical English reporting and I can bet that half the gernos who are blabbing on about it wernt even at the game

someone on ssn was suggesting we play our next home game behind closed doors.

That's absolutely ridiculous. Two people - and by some accounts just one - have been out of order. In a crowd of 20,000. That's 0.01%.

Ban the offender(s) - issue a strongly worded statement that this behaviour will not be tolerated at Ewood - tell the press and the likes of GMTV to have a reality check.

The club can't do any more than that. Slow news day methinks.

The Sun 23/11/04 - "Man on Blackburn Rovers Messageboard states Racist Ewood is a fabrication and blames the press for making stories up. Have these people no shame? Where will it all end? Someone should resign...."

Rightly or wrongly, Rovers have now been branded a racist club.

The club needs to nip this in the bud within the next hour by putting out a strongly worded statement emphasizing that only one fan was involved, that he was thrown out of Ewood and that he will be banned for life.

Are you listening Mr Williams ? ? ?

This requires action NOW, not a Tuesday to Friday effort like Tony Parkes.

I could see the lads in question infront and the signs they were giving were simply the wa*ker sign and the V's.

He did not like the chant of '1 lazy ...... and that he when he reacted. He then came to the rovers fans and shouted something at them. He then jumped over the board and confronted the fans himself, then clearly claiming he had recieved monkey taunts.

This i have to say was not heard or seen and it seems to me he simply doesnt like the reception he got.

Another memo to John Williams:

Contact Steve Bruce and Dwight Yorke as well and ask them to put out a statement confirming that only one fan was involved. Yorke might also be perusaded to say some nice things about Rovers fans at the same time.

This is a damage limitation exercise.

Edited by jim mk2

The media have given every coloured pearson in England a new deck of "Race Cards" to play when ever it suits them,it will lead to more trouble if people are afraid to speak out in case they are accused of being a raceist, I think York is jumping on the bandwagon! mad.gif

Guest Kamy100

I was lucky enough to have a chat with Dwight after the match yesterday. He was obviously very upset by the whole incident, he said that initially he went across to talk to a fan who was extremely irrate, as he approcahed the barrier things turned nasty. He said he pointed out the culprits to the stewards. He was surprised by the hostile reaction by the fans in general, he had expected some sort of reaction but not to that extent. I told him most fans were upset by the state the club is in (playing wise) and unfortunately he was an easy target for people to vent their anger.

Unfortunately after what happened in Spain the media are really going to go to town with this story.

No, jim/john/doris, put out a statement asking Yorke to take these people to court.

They can be identified, he knows what they "supposedly" said.

Let him prove it. If he's right, then they will be rightly shown as racist bigots and given the law as it stands.

If they are found not guilty, then he will be found as a man who tried to take adavntage of a situation.

Quite simply, the Rovers cannot let this rest. Either for the club or it's supporters. They must push this to a conclusion. Surely two or three or more people must have heard these "monkey" noises. They are the ones that can prove Yorke correct or otherwise.

The club needs to nip this in the bud within the next hour by putting out a strongly worded statement emphasizing that only one fan was involved, that he was thrown out of Ewood and that he will be banned for life.

Of course they have, by a bunch of clueless journalists looking to sensationalise something.

I'd start putting your own corrupt house in order first

Jim's point about the club making an early statement is a good one. But you could argue that it's the fans who have really been put in the dock by our wonderful media.

At the risk of giving the story legs, what might be the value of this MB putting out a statement to the effect that regardless of whether the accusations are correct we abhor any racist chanting etc. And, if the accusations are true, as real fans we would support the expulsion of the guilty.

Unlike the Parkes fiasco, it would be nice if all those with an interest in the club are on the front foot in relation to the media.

5 Live reported this morning that Yorke had said it was just 2 people so at least they are getting some perspective on it.

Yorke was roundly boo'd because he was an expensive waste of time in a Rovers shirt. He did three fifths of rock all for us and just drew big wages. That is why he was abused. I for one joined in with the booing.

He should look at the likes of David Dunn and see how to generate some respect from the fans.

Did anybody else hear John Barnes on Radio 5 this morning? I couldn't understand a word he said!

I was lucky enough to have a chat with Dwight after the match yesterday.  He was obviously very upset by the whole incident, he said that initially he went across to talk to a fan who was extremely irrate, as he approcahed the barrier things turned nasty.  He said he pointed out the culprits to the stewards.  He was surprised by the hostile reaction by the fans in general, he had expected some sort of reaction but not to that extent.  I told him most fans were upset by the state the club is in (playing wise) and unfortunately he was an easy target for people to vent their anger. 

Unfortunately after what happened in Spain the media are really going to go to town with this story.

after Yorke was branded a very bad father in front of "millions" of people last week on Frank Skinner, probably the last thing he wanted was this, must affect his game.

Looking back it was a bit over the top

Edited by chris

A hasty press statemennt saying one fan was involved is going to look pretty stupid if it turns out several were being racially abusive.

There is probably a mass of CCTV footage to wade through and for all we know there could be teams of Sky or BBC Radio people listening to every mike in the ground trying to work out if they are picking up a wheezing asthmatic or monkey sounds.

Damage limitation does not have to be public- getting your friends in the media to run more positive stories which is what I believe was happening an hour ago. I would also expect Hughes to be on the phone to Bruce and quite possibly Yorke working the old Manc chums routine to try to minnmise whatever next comes out of Brum.

Getting a handle on the clown in the Sun photo is going to be very important to make sure he doesn't give a choice interview to the press.

Bruce has said a few more things to the Mirror. Understandable in the circumstances but pretty damming.

Why did Yorke go into the crowd to confront these people? I thought pros learnt not to do that after the Cantona incident.

Stange Times indeed. I agree with Jim whole heartedly.

chris, we are not talking about his parenthood, we are talking about his situation on the playing feilds of Ewood, and whether he was telling the truth or crying wolf.

Why oh why must it affect his game,? His private life, presumably, doesn't change from week to week?

BTW, what was "over the top"? His private life or this incident?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.