BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Thanks Dunny

Paul

Dunn's attitude to training would have gone down as badly with Hughes as it did with Souness.

For a little more than we received for Dunn we bought Barry Ferguson.

A wonderful piece of business.

Almost as good as the 2 million plus we stole Brett Emerton for.

These two along with two other Souness steals, Reid and Thompson are a top quality goal ridden midfield as good as any outside the top four and yet to reach their prime.

And all for about 10 million.

Please tell me thats a wind up Brownie.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Dunn is Rovers through and through, why did he leave to join Birmingham? The actions don't quite match the sentiment there. The only thing Dunn is through and through is a stereotypical, self-centred, modern day Premiership footballer. He instigated that move out of Ewood then tried to turn it on Souness to save face - very unconvincingly.

All Souness said was that Dunn could perhaps concentrate a bit more on his football. Oh dear, call my lawyer, get me some counselling, I don't think I can go on.

See you later, Dunn. Take your toys with you.

Dunn's attitude to training would have gone down as badly with Hughes as it did with Souness.

For a little more than we received for Dunn we bought Barry Ferguson.

A wonderful piece of business.

Almost as good as the 2 million plus we stole Brett Emerton for.

These two along with two other Souness steals, Reid and Thompson are a top quality goal ridden midfield as good as any outside the top four and yet to reach their prime.

And all for about 10 million.

Please tell me thats a wind up Brownie.

Compare the midfield when we finished sixth to the midfield now.

Ours is much, much better now.

How long has this midfield been playing together, and how many games have we lost?

About four and zero, I'd say.

Add a couple of 4-0 hammerings to that list.

The midfield two years ago was far better. One of the best left wingers in the world and a Tugay who could outpass anybody in the league. He isn't looking half the player this season. Emerton is no Duff and Reid has yet to prove that he's Premiership class on a consistant basis. And we're still waiting for Bazza to justify all that money we spent on him.

There was no agreement as he was approached in a corridor and asked "by the way- do you want to sign a new contract".  He had, I believe three years of his original contract to go, and was in no hurry, with that ******* in charge, to sign a new one, so he said "no thank you".

After that, there were NO formal contract talks- he was just told that as he'd "turned down a new contract", in what he had considered was only a casual sounding-out, that he was to be sold. (I suspect, although don't know, that the alternative was to play in the reserves- not a great one for someone who was pushing for England recognition at that point)

IMHO there was no real contract, and that was just our ex-manager using his ruthlessness again to get this story against Dunny into the papers and get you all supporting the decision to get him out.  He'd done it to you all before when Dunny was injured, by blaming it on his "lifestyle" (which apparently is very quiet now, yet he still gets injured)  He'd stirred you all up again by telling you Dunny was a "big time Charlie" when Dunn did get fit and started to play well his last season with us, and he got you for the last time over this.

As to whether this was a good move for us- it will all depend on his hamstrings.  If they stay healthy, it will be shown to be one of the worst moves we ever made.  If they don't, it won't.

But "the boy done good"  (oh how I hate that grammar) on Sunday from a celebrating point of view.

Dont be ridiculous. Dunn has had about four good games since he left us. He is full of unrealised potential, not a good player.

To say he could be one of the worst sales we made is nonsense. He would struggle to get in the City team if everybody was fit...... thats pretty damning.

At the moment it looks like one Souness' best transfer decisions (of which there were a few- Friedel, Thompson, Tugay, Gray, Stead).

He is a local boy and all that, but you cannot justify that statement.

ps. If he had three years left on his contract there is no way he wouldnt of signed it. He would of got an increased pay packet and his movement would not of been hindered as plaayers are only held to the club for two years irrespective of the length.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Did no one see Dunny as a guest on Soccer AM the weekend following Souness’s departure, when questioned about his fall out with Souness, he replied “don’t want to go into that but a least I can be a Rovers fan again now he's left the club” tinykit.gif

Edited by Derbyshire Blue

What is depressing is the difference that 2/3 years can make.The 3 gems......Duff,Dunn and jansen were committed,dribblers,entertaining and worth the price of a season ticket for just ONE of them and Duff was the best. Dunn and Jansen were the next selections for England.

A bloody motor-bike in Rome and(according to Berg) Souey falling out with 8 to 10 players including Dunn(and eventuallyCole) brought the whole edifice down.

When Jansen scores and seeing Dunn back on his pitch reminds us all of the hope...and how Souey sabotaged it all with Victorian man-management and 3 yes-men.

Have you ever considered that Dunn reads this messageboard? I think almost every Rovers fan, including him, knows about this board. Perhaps our uncalled for criticisms of Dunn (e.g. fat B******, lazy, fat, slow, fat, unfit, fat, doesnt give a damn, fat) hastened his departure.

May be its just me capt, I just dont see how anyone who truly supports the club he grew up at can just leave because of a simple argument.

See I knew you liked him really biggrin.gif

Respectfully though 1864 I think you know as well as I do that it wasn't just over a simple argument.

From all accounts , GS wanted him to play anywhere but the CM where he wanted his beloved Flitcroft to play - he was trying to turn him into player that he simply wasn't/isn't (like saying to Shearer I'll play you CM rather than striker even though he could probably have done it anyway). Add onto that he was on the verge of making it into the England squad it was in best professional interest to move on and from what I have been told from somebody who use to go out with Dunny (girlfriends where mates) the underlyings of the problems with Yorke and Cole where in full flow also and he felt he needed to get away.

I can understand you saying about re anybody having the club in their heart and wanting to move, but personally I feel Dunn wanted to play and in his favoured attacking midfielder role

Don't think this argument could be resolved, since we don't know how things would've turned out with someone else at the helm.

But as things stand, he was not professional enough off of the pitch, not from what I've heard anyway. And his *appalling* injury record does tend to bear that out.

Yes, he is genuinely talented. But he hasn't made the most of those talents, and for that you can blame one person only - him!

• 2 years later...

Some interesting views from back then...makes for an interesting read I thought.

Its going to be very interesting to see Dunn's reaction to MH's methods, I think there is every chance we have got a bargain :D

750k + 250k if Brummie get promoted + 1m after 50 appearances? Seems like a deal to me! Also, a profit of 4.75m falling to 3.5m..... heh, good business in the end :)

I really think that if he gets any run of games together he'll be a big part of the team. Bags of talent, but a terrible time with injury. Interestingly the back operation he had and the recovery from it mean he's fit (a change) and it's possible that it could clear up the recurring injury nightmare, so we could see him soon. Come on, Dunny, Get Into 'Em!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.