SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham 0 V 2 Blackburn Rovers

Tris

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed by the criticism of Dickov's quality. His passing isn't up to much, but his dribbling his pretty good. His finishing skills are no better or no worse than any striker we've seen at the club in years. Cole was hardly clinical, nor Yorke.

If that chest, swivel and volley vs United wasn't quality then I don't know what is.

Lets hope we sign big Dunc, Hartson and bloody Peter Crouch in january.. withstupid.gif

Yes he's been a bargain but how much a player has costed us should not matter when judging his performance. What if he was a 7M£ Italian that also would have scored a few penalties and a couple of more goals in 15 matches? Would you still be happy then? I think not. Dickov is our first choise striker at the moment and I, at least, have higher demands on our first choise striker. He still hasn't produced as much as he should have, or at least as much as I want. What's wrong with being unhappy with him and think he should have produced more?

Am I a muppet because Dickov only is 5'6'' and doesn't win headers? I just said that I wanted strikers that our wingers can play crosses to. But I'm stupid to believe that that is an effective way to play football... oh stupid me!

Remember, we are still in a relegation battle!

some valid points don't see why people need to insult you, it is possibly Dickov is lacking in the quality area, thats not exactly news, and a little selfish, but that's something the strike partner or Hughes needs to address.

but the fact that he gives 110% and is good at what he does, and fans can relate with him and maybe why they get so defensive.

and appartantly Dickov practices Pens on thursdays and Fridays, so that why he taking them, good pens aswell.

My advice is, while we are winning, don't bother complaining about even the slightest point, because anyone and everyone will attack with their blue and white glasses on. That's from 8 years experience on this board.

Edited by chris

His suspension will be the mid week carling cup game.

Don't mean to be a smart arse or anything, but he won't be suspended for either the Carling Cup game or our game, the suspension for 5 yellow cards kicks in after 7 days, as was explained whilst watching VIera pick up a booking against Liverpool yesterday which means he misses the Chelsea game in two weeks.

If he had actually got sent off, like he should have done for second bookable offence, he would have been suspended immediatley and would not have missed the chelsea game according to Martin Tyler.

So unfortunatley Defoe will be playing against us.

A very positive performance from Rovers making the weekend a good one. Defensively I thought we were far better than we have been although IMO Todd struggled a bit with Cole. Was worried about Nissa playing full back but he played far better than McEveley there. In fact after a dodgy first 20 minutes, including a one on one Malbranque really should have scored the whole defence looked a competant solid unit. Thought they were stood off Cole too much but they limited Fulhams chances and looked the most solid I've seen for a long time. This might be the 'right' defence to go with our settled midfield.

The midfield looked inpressive again, though Tugay to me, whilst doing nothing wrong, doesn't look like he offers enough any more. The midfield got forward well, scrapped for the ball and actually contributed to a fairly sound defensive performance.

Up front I still think we lack that bit of killer instinct. Dickov, despite all he offers is not good enough to be the main striker. He's a fantastic squad player to have but his poor finishing and weakness at holding the ball up should be enough to condem him to the bench. Exiled in Toronto sums up the Dickov situation perfectly to me. Gally looked good again and is a very encouraging sign for the future. His crossing was poor but a lot of that was due to the fact he was drifting out to the left instead of right.

Looking at the highlights it seemed Rovers had a flawless performance, some great attacking moves which only lacked a bit of ruthlessness in front of goal. In reality it was much more scrappy than that but the most encouraging thing was despite this Rovers didn't get bogged down in a scrap as they often do but still managed to create some good opportunites. There are still a few obvious problems with Rovers but the signs of improvement were the most encouraging seen this season.

I'm amazed by the criticism of Dickov's quality. His passing isn't up to much

I agree - I can't see why Dickov is getting criticised based on recent performances (except about finishing - Cole is hardly the person to compare him to given Cole's amazing ability to miss simple chances).

I would say his passing is pretty good. He's played a key pass in probably half of our goals from open play this season, and on Saturday he was always looking up to bring Emerton and Reid into the game. If he had a really quick forward alongside him I think he'd set up even more.

Whilst we may not put Brazil to shame with out attractive and skillful football it is effective and full of effort. This is the sort of thing that will get us out of trouble and leave us safe at the end of the season and certain players will play better in this set up.

Dickov, Reid, Neil, Nissa and even Emerton are looking better players now that they are only being asked to do the basics that their position demands but at the same time give 110% to make up for it. We havent got the most gifted or talented sqaud in the league and Hughes knows this so he has worked on the fitness of the players. What you lack in skill you make up for in effort...

This has worked with teams like Everton and Bolton in the past, and if it gets us out of the brown stuff then its fine by me. I would of course like to see us playing attractive passing football but we dont have the personel and I will sacrifice one season of playing as we are now for Premiership survival.

Im not saying we cant pass and indeed, we do so brilliantly at times, but we should remember that was against an average Fulham and the reason we were able to pass is because people were running all over chasing the ball and closing down.

What I said was that we arent the best passing team in the league (though we arent the worst) and as such improving the fitness and getting the players to work at 110% has seen us perform better.

Im certainly not putting down the performance on Saturday.

I like Dickov a lot, one of my favorite players on this year's squad. But. I'd rather see Gally/Bothroyd starting with Dickov coming off of the bench to provide that late spark. Either way, it will be interesting to see if Jay starts when he comes back.

Oh, and it's always nice to get off the bottom, out of the relegation places and no longer the worst goal differential all in one weekend.

I like Dickov a lot, one of my favorite players on this year's squad. But. I'd rather see Gally/Bothroyd starting with Dickov coming off of the bench to provide that late spark. Either way, it will be interesting to see if Jay starts when he comes back.

Oh, and it's always nice to get off the bottom, out of the relegation places and no longer the worst goal differential all in one weekend.

When we signed Dickov, I expected that he would be starting on the bench. To be absolutely fair though, there's no way he would, or should, start from the bench. Not at the moment anyway. He's earning his place.

Some interesting, and for a change, encouraging reading in tonight's

Lancashire evening telegraph.

Just a couple of footnotes to the best performance for a season or two:

The difference in the performance level of the team from when Souness was here is jaw dropping.

And without wishing to put the kibosh on things, the last time I saw our midfield players hunting down the opposition like that with the appetite of a pack of hungry wolves was during the rather successful 1992-5 period....................... huh.gif

Just a couple of footnotes to the best performance for a season or two:

The difference in the performance level of the team from when Souness was here is jaw dropping.

And without wishing to put the kibosh on things, the last time I saw our midfield players hunting down the opposition like that with the appetite of a pack of hungry wolves was during the rather successful 1992-5 period....................... huh.gif

Rovers 0 Spurs 1.........Well and truly kiboshed! sad.gif

All your fault then Simon! rover.gifsmile.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.